Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie, 0x06BE - Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

This is the official Issues and Discussion thread for all Genie DVRs, version 0x06BE

Release notes: http://www.dbstalk.c...4-genie-0x06be/

We ask that you keep polite and focused within this thread, and post as much detail as possible. If your receiver is set up for network issue reporting, please post the key generated by the receiver.

Being part of the DBSTalk community means working together to help each other document issues and come up with solutions. While everyone gets upset from time to time, this is not the appropriate place for vents or rants. All off-topic posts and discussion will be deleted.

Thanks!

• keebler21 likes this
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kram

kram

Godfather

• Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

Also supposed to fix recording-playback freeze issues, but since the problem was so intermittent it's hard to know if it did. But so far. So good.

5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 // HR44-700 w/Samsung UN40ES6100 // HR24-200 w/Sony KDL-46XBR9 // HR23-700 w/Samsung UN32D4000 // Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH A/V Receiver // Sony Blu-ray BDP-S3100 // DirecTV since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

Just got the update yesterday and all seemd fine.  Today, when I tune a channel it displays and produces sound for about 3 seconds, then it goes to black with no sound.  Seriously non-functional.  Am rebooting.

HR34 HDMI through Denon AVR-991 to Samsung PN59D7000

[later]

During reboot the HR34 decided to do a disk check and found some errors.  Not sure if all were corrected.  This HR34 had been showing signs of a disk fault (freezing frames), so maybe that's all it was.  Although I'm not sure how this translates into a HDMI-handshake-type malfunction.  At least one recording had been cancelled today "due to unknown error."

TIme will tell if this is the update, the disk or some other problem with the unit, all of which have different solutions.

Edited by gully_foyle, 03 May 2013 - 12:45 AM.

DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#4 OFFLINE   Bajanjack

Bajanjack

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:26 AM

Recurring issues:

3D non functional

"Jump back" when ff with MRV and HR34 as client does not work at all and actually jumps forward

"Jump back" marginally ok with recordings on HR34-needs improvement

Slow channel changes          

Edited by Bajanjack, 03 May 2013 - 06:28 AM.

HR34-700, HR20-700, HR21-100,HR24-500,H24-100, R16-300

#5 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

Also supposed to fix recording-playback freeze issues, but since the problem was so intermittent it's hard to know if it did. But so far. So good.

no change.. same as always. laag, etc.. My last posts I could just copy and paste.  DTV your something else.... But golly when that talk app coming out?.... i joke, well not really, but come on fix the broken stuff first for gosh sakes.

RBR time. 

Edited by Datagg, 03 May 2013 - 09:40 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:53 AM

Is this a controlled rollout? I am still on 067E from march

#7 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 608 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

I have noticed that the program guide responds better using up/down arrows between channels; this used to be fairly slow.

#8 OFFLINE   sriggins

sriggins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

I too am still on 067E with no scheduled updates according to settings.

#9 OFFLINE   sriggins

sriggins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

Any word on any HDMI fixes in this release? My HR34 has two HDMI issues:

1) If I reset the DVR, it won't get past the checking satellite settings if my HDMI is plugged in.  I have to unplug HDMI, reset the DVR, wait 5 mins, and plug the cable back in

2) If I sleep/wake the DVR, I lose all of my HDMI resolutions other than 1080p, but the DVR always uses 480p, even though it is unchecked.

Now it seems no matter what I do, the DVR only uses 480p.  I can enable 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and the TV will sync and show it in those modes, then each time I press info to confirm, it goes back to 480p.  Nothing I do will keep the DVR in non-480p mode. Maybe this is due to booting without HDMI attached to get past issue #1?

Edited by sriggins, 04 May 2013 - 10:48 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

Since I got this release, issues that I've had with my HR34 have gotten worse, not better.

HDMI handshake failure:  Most of the time I power up my TV & AVR (HR34 is never slept), I get a black screen until I change the channel.  This is no doubt an HDMI issue.  HDMI to Denon AVR-991 (variant of 3311CI) with video only to Samsung 59PN7000.  I can live with this.

Recording freezes:  Past recordings have had occasional freezes with no apparent loss of data.  Now I'm getting frequent freezing with parts of scenes lost (after comparing to other sources).  THis is unacceptable.

Operational failure:  As I reported above, I had initial inoperability of the unit following the update.  This has not recurred, but reduces my confidence level greatly.  It seems we are back to the early days of the HR20.

I am most worried about the recording freezes, though, since this might mean that I have a long-term problem with the hard drive.  I am strongly thinking about getting a replacement, as the last 3 recordings I tried to watch were messed up in this way.  One was a months-old recording, so losing my recordings might not be an issue.

Edited by gully_foyle, 05 May 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   aldiesel

aldiesel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

Since the update I am getting recording freezes and black channels with no sounds.  I have to do a receiver restart to get the channels back.  Also, each update has progressively gotten worse for me.  The guide is less responsive, deletes are slower, etc.

Edited by aldiesel, 06 May 2013 - 06:32 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

Diagnostics show multiple disk issues (3004, 300c, 3016).  Might not be firmware.  Calling for new unit.

Update: 5/12/2013

Received new Genie last week, now running 0x6be without issue.  Or at least without any new issue.  Still have trickplay image freeze.

Edited by gully_foyle, 12 May 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

Our HR34 started dropping a few seconds of audio today every few minutes. It did this for hours and then it started losing video too, even the guide. It would blink out and then back on. I went upstairs where the wife was watching tv with one of the C31 clients and she said she wasn't having any problems.

I ended up rebooting the HR34 and it has been fine since.

#14 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

All these complains... and im the one who got scolded for bringing them up all the time. DTV do something right and it will be a game changer for your company and reputation. Do i hate DTV, no not at all, but they do need to focus better on fixing things that are broken before they go to new stuff like voice apps.... And letting out an update that makes things worse is inexcusable on every level.

Edited by Datagg, 05 May 2013 - 07:04 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   sriggins

sriggins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:25 AM

My Hr34 rebooted tonight, and then stuck at the getting satellite signals screen again.  I had to unplug the HDMI and power cycle the box.  It rebooted, but I am still on 67E

#16 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 163 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:29 AM

My Hr34 rebooted tonight, and then stuck at the getting satellite signals screen again.  I had to unplug the HDMI and power cycle the box.  It rebooted, but I am still on 67E

Mine did the same thing. It hung at the satellite screen but did eventually get through and fired up. We weren't watching TV at the time and all of a sudden noticed the lights come on on the DVR. Thought it was odd so we turned on the TV and noticed it was in self-check. Took about 15 minutes to get through all the steps and back to watching TV. Glad none of our recordings were scheduled at that time.

I thought for sure it was a software update, but we're still on 67E.

If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#17 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 81 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

Mine did the same thing. It hung at the satellite screen but did eventually get through and fired up. We weren't watching TV at the time and all of a sudden noticed the lights come on on the DVR. Thought it was odd so we turned on the TV and noticed it was in self-check. Took about 15 minutes to get through all the steps and back to watching TV. Glad none of our recordings were scheduled at that time.

I thought for sure it was a software update, but we're still on 67E.

Same here - I noticed mine rebooted overnight at some point as well but also still on 67E...

#18 OFFLINE   TedBarrett

TedBarrett

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

Same here - I noticed mine rebooted overnight at some point as well but also still on 67E...

Ditto.

Has this roll out been pulled?

#19 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,958 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

All these complains... and im the one who got scolded for bringing them up all the time.  << Snipped bits out >>

All the time is the key..... No one I've seen gets scolded for bringing up real issues. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#20 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:12 AM

All the time is the key..... No one I've seen gets scolded for bringing up real issues. 

If I showed you my Pm's perhaps you would change your mind. Either way, i speak what is on my mind. fanboys may not like it, yet these are real issues that people are having, not smoke and daggers. Some may not like it, thats ok, no biggie....

Edited by Datagg, 08 May 2013 - 01:13 AM.

spam firewall