Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Might switch to FIOS - Hows the DVR?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mikefour77

mikefour77

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

So, I am considering a switch to FIOS, but I have had a hard time trying to get some information about the DVR, like how much will it store, can you attach an external HD, how many shows can you record at once.... all that jazz.

I currently have DTV, so that is my baseline.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,023 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

The 7232 DVR has two tuners and a 500GB hard-drive. It will store about 45-60 hours of MPEG2 HD, probably 50 is a good number, while the future VMS1100 Media Server will have a 1TB hard-drive claimed to handle 100 hours of HD. The 7232 DVR does support an external eSATA hard-drive for additional capacity.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#3 OFFLINE   mikefour77

mikefour77

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:22 AM

Well, that makes me feel better.  On their web site they say that the DVR will hold "up to 20 hours of HD", which for my house is simply not enough.

If you attach the external hard drive, does it disable the internal HDD in the same manner as the DTV DVR, or does it add on the space on the external HDD?

#4 ONLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,023 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:30 AM

Well, that makes me feel better.  On their web site they say that the DVR will hold "up to 20 hours of HD", which for my house is simply not enough.

If you attach the external hard drive, does it disable the internal HDD in the same manner as the DTV DVR, or does it add on the space on the external HDD?

I've not tried it myself, but it states that the eSATA drive is additive, with a maximum allowed of 2TB external.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#5 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

How many channels can be recorded simultaneously?
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#6 ONLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,023 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

How many channels can be recorded simultaneously?

Two tuners, similar to the DirecTV HR24. The VMS1100 will have 6.

#7 OFFLINE   mikefour77

mikefour77

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

You all have been very helpful.  Alright, one more question.  

If I were to get multiple DVRs to get additional tuners, does FIOS have similar functionality to the Whole Home service with DTV?  Can I play from one DVR a show recorded on another DVR?

#8 ONLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,023 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:37 AM

You all have been very helpful.  Alright, one more question.  

If I were to get multiple DVRs to get additional tuners, does FIOS have similar functionality to the Whole Home service with DTV?  Can I play from one DVR a show recorded on another DVR?

Yep.it's called "Multi-Hub DVR" and it's a few dollars more per month.

Regular MRV: http://www22.verizon...ti-room dvr.htm

Multi-Hub MRV: http://www22.verizon...sone/129824.htm

#9 OFFLINE   mikefour77

mikefour77

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

Yep.it's called "Multi-Hub DVR" and it's a few dollars more per month.

Regular MRV: http://www22.verizon...ti-room dvr.htm

Multi-Hub MRV: http://www22.verizon...sone/129824.htm

Many thanks!  

#10 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

Make sure you get a 7232 or the Cisco equivalent.  They both are BLACK, not gray.  Don't let the installer leave you with an earlier model DVR.

The 7232 is leaps and bounds faster than any D* DVR,

The eSATA drive is additive.

The multiroom feature works, but get HD boxes.  You can't stream HD recordings to an SD set-top box.

#11 OFFLINE   mikefour77

mikefour77

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

Make sure you get a 7232 or the Cisco equivalent.  They both are BLACK, not gray.  Don't let the installer leave you with an earlier model DVR.

The 7232 is leaps and bounds faster than any D* DVR,

The eSATA drive is additive.

The multiroom feature works, but get HD boxes.  You can't stream HD recordings to an SD set-top box.

Right now, I have three DTV DVRs, so I overall have 6 tuners but really only use four.  Plus, we tend to hang onto alot of content.  For example, we have about 20 shows taped at any given time for my daughter to watch, plus all the regular stuff for my wife and I, so the available space is a big deal for me.

I would need at least 4 tuners to replicate my current set up, so I am thinking of getting the multiroom DVR, a second DVR, and one HD set top box.  As long as they can all comminucate with one another (al-la Whole Home), then we are business.

Seeing as I have never used a DVR outside of DTV, I am full of nervous trepidation!

#12 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

Right now, I have three DTV DVRs, so I overall have 6 tuners but really only use four.  Plus, we tend to hang onto alot of content.  For example, we have about 20 shows taped at any given time for my daughter to watch, plus all the regular stuff for my wife and I, so the available space is a big deal for me.

I would need at least 4 tuners to replicate my current set up, so I am thinking of getting the multiroom DVR, a second DVR, and one HD set top box.  As long as they can all comminucate with one another (al-la Whole Home), then we are business.

Seeing as I have never used a DVR outside of DTV, I am full of nervous trepidation!

Spot on, Mike.  two DVRs + an HD STB, and you're all set.

There used to be a difference between "multi-room" DVR and "multi-hub" DVR.  Now they are all the same - any set-top box can play back content from anywhere (except that standard-def set-tops can only play SD content) so long as you have Multi-Room DVR on your account.

Great stuff - the biggest different from DirecTV's "whole home" is that with DirecTV, there is a Unified Playlist - all the shows are on a single list.  With FiOS, when you look at your video recordings, there is a 'folder' for each DVR -- mine are labeled "Family Room", "Basement" and "Master Bedroom" specifically.

#13 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:53 AM

Yea, I have 3 DVR's (no reg boxes) and they all like each other just fine.  Only 2 gripes are is that  I miss the unified playlist and I don't like the fact you can't fast forward more than 8X and there is no "large jump ahead" if what you are watching is on a "remote" DVR. There is on local box.

Example is I wanted to jump to the end of the recorded basketball game and it took FOREVER to get to it.  On a "local" DVR you have a silly "thumbnail" option (which rarely shows thumbnails and when it does they are barely visible) that lets you easily & very quickly jump ahead in large increments.  The moral of that story is record sports events on the DVR you plan on watching from. :) 

The change takes some getting used to but eventually you do and with a couple exceptions I am very happy.  Just make sure you get the 7232 DVR's because they have the larger HD's.  They are still supplying 7216's some of which have upgraded HD's and some that do not.  Supposedly all new installs get the 7232's (at least here in NJ).  I'm saving well over $100/month with the triple play over my separate services when I had D* and that was my primary reason for the switch.  In 2 years when my contract expires and the locked rate skyrockets I will have rethink it. 

#14 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

Supposedly all new installs get the 7232's (at least here in NJ).

... if only.  My brother had a FiOS install the 1st week of April (new customer) and ended up with a 6416 DVR.  The installer said they don't have any stock of 7232 or even 7216's at the garage.   Ugh.  He went through the set-top box replacement menu and it said he should have a new DVR mid-May.  We'll see.

#15 ONLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,023 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

... if only.  My brother had a FiOS install the 1st week of April (new customer) and ended up with a 6416 DVR.  The installer said they don't have any stock of 7232 or even 7216's at the garage.   Ugh.  He went through the set-top box replacement menu and it said he should have a new DVR mid-May.  We'll see.

I wonder if they thought that the VMS1100 was originally supposed to available by now.

#16 OFFLINE   mikefour77

mikefour77

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

I wonder if they thought that the VMS1100 was originally supposed to available by now.

So there is not ETA on the VMS1100?  I tried looking a bit and didn't find anything.  I would certainly much prefer to switch directly to this DVR box.

#17 ONLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,023 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

So there is not ETA on the VMS1100?  I tried looking a bit and didn't find anything.  I would certainly much prefer to switch directly to this DVR box.

In 2011, the Media Server was expected "late 2012" and there were many articles and a video at the tale end of 2011.

At CES 2013 in January, there were a ton of articles and another video, all referencing the same official announcement at CES, with "very soon" for availability.

And then there was one article (Huffington) from the recent NAB conference that referenced "September".

Very little real information is available other then the 3 spurts of info (12/2011, 1/2013, 4/2013) referenced above.

#18 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

I would assume that's the case, yes.

#19 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

Maybe that was the problem, they looked in the GARAGE instead of the warehouse! :) I was told ALL new installs get 7232's, guess not. :shrug:  What happened to me was I swapped out an HD receiver for my 3rd DVR and they shipped me a 7216 with 120GIG HD. Got me p1ssed so I drove over to the Woodbridge Mall Fios store and they told me they had no 7232's in stock so I called C.S. from my cell phone who called Woodbridge while I was there and I had a 7232 5 minutes later.

• dmurphy likes this

#20 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,890 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

Maybe that was the problem, they looked in the GARAGE instead of the warehouse! :) I was told ALL new installs get 7232's, guess not. :shrug:  What happened to me was I swapped out an HD receiver for my 3rd DVR and they shipped me a 7216 with 120GIG HD. Got me p1ssed so I drove over to the Woodbridge Mall Fios store and they told me they had no 7232's in stock so I called C.S. from my cell phone who called Woodbridge while I was there and I had a 7232 5 minutes later.

Guess every one of these companies is riddled with liars, huh?  Enjoying FIOS?

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...