Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Might switch to FIOS - Hows the DVR?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   renpar61

renpar61

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

I'm also considering FIOS to replace Dish. With Dish I am currently limited to 3 tuners total (I have 1Hopper/2Joey config) and it's not working too well for me. Kids and I are always recording something while watching something else, wife wants to watch her own stuff… I would need probably 6 tuners to keep everyone happy.

Besides, with triple play the monthly savings would be worthwhile.

My understanding is that if I get 1 DVR with "whole home DVR" capability and 2 satellites I will be able to use a total of six tuners from any of my 3 TVs, correct?

Or should it be 3 different DVRs as long as the can talk to each other?

Please someone clarify this for me and/or suggest the appropriate configuration for 3 TVs (all HD).

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,183 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

I'm also considering FIOS to replace Dish. With Dish I am currently limited to 3 tuners total (I have 1Hopper/2Joey config) and it's not working too well for me. Kids and I are always recording something while watching something else, wife wants to watch her own stuff… I would need probably 6 tuners to keep everyone happy.

Besides, with triple play the monthly savings would be worthwhile.

My understanding is that if I get 1 DVR with "whole home DVR" capability and 2 satellites I will be able to use a total of six tuners from any of my 3 TVs, correct?

Or should it be 3 different DVRs as long as the can talk to each other?

Please someone clarify this for me and/or suggest the appropriate configuration for 3 TVs (all HD).

You could do 3 7232 two-tuner DVR's, where you'd be able to see all recordings from any of the three TV's, but you may want to wait for the VMS1100 6-tuner media server. There's a sticky with some details here.

DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#23 OFFLINE   Cobra611

Cobra611

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:33 PM

So, to simplify things...

I'm about to make the switch from DirecTV & Cablevision. I'll be speaking with a sales rep within the next 24 hrs. I'm trying to learn as much as I can reading from this forum. Can anyone suggest what I should be requesting in terms of the DVR, etc? From what I read here a few posts back, try to get the 7232. How is CS in dealing with requests such as that? I'll be getting the triple play, and they seem to have some good promotions currently. Any advice on getting them to possibly sweeten the pot a 'lil more?

Thank you!

#24 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,183 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:35 AM

So, to simplify things...

I'm about to make the switch from DirecTV & Cablevision. I'll be speaking with a sales rep within the next 24 hrs. I'm trying to learn as much as I can reading from this forum. Can anyone suggest what I should be requesting in terms of the DVR, etc? From what I read here a few posts back, try to get the 7232. How is CS in dealing with requests such as that? I'll be getting the triple play, and they seem to have some good promotions currently. Any advice on getting them to possibly sweeten the pot a 'lil more?

Thank you!

The 7232 DVR is the most current DVR available from FiOS. When I added the Triple Play back almost 2 years ago it was fairly easy to get in this geography. They also offer an upgrade, thinking it's $40, for existing subscribers to upgrade to a 7232. The next platform will be the 6-tuner VMS1100 Media Server, and rumor has it that the VMS1100 will be available in the September time-frame. Good Luck.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#25 OFFLINE   Cobra611

Cobra611

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

Thanks Sixto! Techs will be out to install on June 7th. I'm looking forward to it!

#26 OFFLINE   Cobra611

Cobra611

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:50 PM

Install went well, just under 3 hours. Internet has been very good, but I'm having issues with picture quality. On most channels, I am experiencing picture breakup. It happens quite a bit, mostly on HD channels. But, I say that because they're mostly what I watch. Although, it has happened in the SD channels as well. It was pretty bad on Friday and install, but has gotten just a little bit better. Guess I need to call them.

#27 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,313 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

By all means call. Your picture should not be breaking up at all.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#28 OFFLINE   Cobra611

Cobra611

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

I was in contact with FiOS support via Twitter on Sunday. The refreshed the receivers a few times and so far, all has been well!!!

#29 OFFLINE   Cobra611

Cobra611

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

I have another question...if I may? I just attached the 750 GB external hard drive I was using with my DirecTV receiver, to my FiOS one. The 4 programs I had recorded before I attached the drive, are still available to me. Is this normal? When using with DTV, it rendered anything I had recorded on the receiver itself inaccessible unless I disconnected the external drive. After I set it up last night, I recorded a movie and when I checked the available storage, it showed the 8% used on the receiver and 1% used on the external drive. Does the system now utilize the external while still leaving me able to access the internal drive as well?  

#30 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,342 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

In a word, yes!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#31 OFFLINE   Cobra611

Cobra611

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

In a word, yes!

Thank you....but, it seems to benefit me to disconnect the external drive until I've used up all available storage on the receiver?

#32 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,342 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

That's your choice! Enjoy!

#33 OFFLINE   davidjplatt

davidjplatt

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

Thank you....but, it seems to benefit me to disconnect the external drive until I've used up all available storage on the receiver?

Why?  On a TiVo the external drive gets "married" to the internal drive and they become a pair.  On the DirecTV DVR the external drive becomes active and the internal drive becomes hidden.  On FiOS the drives are "semi-independent".  When a show starts recording it goes to the drive with the most free space.  The external drive can still be removed from the unit and you don't lose recordings on either and can attaches a second external drive and swap it back and forth with the first external drive as you wish.  What's the advantage of not having the external drive connected?  Are there shows you always want available that you are going to record then attach the external drive after the internal fills up?

#34 OFFLINE   Cobra611

Cobra611

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

I was under the assumption, that once the external was attached you would lose the ability to access the internal hard drive, like with DirecTV's receivers.

#35 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,342 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

With DIRECTV's receivers, an attached external HD makes the internal unavailable for the time the external is active: You remove it and the previous shows are there. 

#36 OFFLINE   Cobra611

Cobra611

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

With DIRECTV's receivers, an attached external HD makes the internal unavailable for the time the external is active: You remove it and the previous shows are there. 

Right, and I did not know with FiOS you can access both. So, yes I will go back and reattach the external. Thanks:-)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...