Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Just called to see what mover deals were avaliable, ended call with canceling my service

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Maverick77

Maverick77

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

So i am moving to another state and called to coordinate my move with DirecTV (who I have been a customer with for 4 years) and see what deals they would offer me.  Coincidentally, I recieved an email from DirecTV a couple weeks saying "Save up to $500 on programing and upgrade offers" whne you move and "Ask how to recieve Sunday Ticket Max" for free,

So I called and the operator checked my current offers and said "I have good news, installation at your new location will be free".  I paused for a second, then realized that was it.  I told him about the email I recieved with the offers.  He said he doesn't show those for my account. 

So then I say, "so my offer is what everybody gets for free anyway,  What is stopping me from ending service here and signing up as a new customer when I move into my new house?  That way I get the usual sign up deal, which is better then what you are offering me"  He then said something like he can offer me $5 off my bill for 5 months.  So then i say forget it, if that is the offer then I want to just end my service and I will decide when I get to my location whether I want to do Cable, Dish, or DirecTV and sign up as a new customer.  To my surprise, he agreed to cancel without any resistance. 

So in otherwords it seems like the threat to cancel has worked for everyone else on getting a better deal except for myself.  I just hung up with my service canceled and am trying to figure out what i want to do next.  i really like DirecTC and Sunday ticket and want to stick with them, but not if I am going to be the only one in the world who doesn't get a movers deal.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 877 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

The movers deal is not always free anymore it is based off your account history, payment history, etc... If you got a free move then you got a deal. You will not be able to sign up as a new customer under your name it will have to be in someone else's name to be new however if you canceled they may send you a "come back" offer that may be just as good as a new customer deal. Retention efforts are based off your heart level and if they didn't attempt to save you then you must not be what they consider a good customer.

#3 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

Also if you have had the services for a year or less sometimes even 2 or less, you can expect to pay around a 199 movers fee. If you have been a customer longer it goes by your account history. Not so much if you pay your bills on time though, I've seen a lady that since 2011 when she got the services she has been consistently past due. Rain sleet snow or hail. Yet (and since someone already mentioned hearts) had 5 hearts because she was a homeowner and elderly (what I was told). Always always read the fine print on offers you may receive.

Edited by Volatility, 30 April 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,389 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

As others said ALWAYS READ THE FINE PRINT before getting all excited about "the offers" they supposedly have, But if you're out of contract then I would cancel and sign up again, might be able to get new/returning customer discounts with Sunday Ticket.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#5 OFFLINE   Maverick77

Maverick77

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

Thanks for the info.  didn't know that other people got charged for moving.  I've been a customer for 4 years, but recently upgraded my HD reciever to their latest one.  I think that was over a year ago and I sheled out 4 to 5 hundred dollars for it and switched to whole home DVR, but there may have been some type of commitment with that.

Also I have never been late with a payment

Edited by Maverick77, 30 April 2013 - 04:31 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,389 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

But make sure you have LOS on your new location, I would call Directv to see if they send a tech to be sure, And if it does you can decide to take the Mover's Deal or cancel service and resign again if you're not on the 2 year contract. But first I would push for any discounts on the Mover's Deal through retention.

Edited by acostapimps, 30 April 2013 - 04:40 PM.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,810 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

You will have to return your equipment, they will send you recovery boxes. So be sure to keep everything and box it up and ship it back. Keep copies of the shipment documentation "just in case".

If it has been less than 2 years since you upgraded your equipment, you will also have to pay an early termination fee (pro-rated).

#8 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

I would call back and ask again.  If you haven't received promotional offers recently and you've had good payments history, they may have been missing something.  Also, it may come down to the programming you have now.  Low end packages are not going to qualify for most mover's deals.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

This is why when you are playing these games, you must be serious about canceling because DirecTV caught you bluffing 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   Maverick77

Maverick77

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

I called back and took the movers deal, told them that there was a miscommunication with the previous guy I was talking to.  They are going to upgrade one of my recievers to HD DVR, which really doesn't matter to me because I can't imagine DVRing anything other then on my big one which can do 5 at once. 

Any way, to sum it up I am never one of the lucky ones you see posting here that get the monster deals.  I guess some people have all the luck and others don't. :soapbox:

#11 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:45 AM

I was one of those people, too, until I recently rejoined Directv. It's all luck. Plus, they will promise one thing and do another, but all you have to do is call up and complain. btw, while we're talking about those "Come back to Directv" offers they send in the mail, how do I get them to STOP!?! I've gotten 5 since I rejoined.

• billsharpe likes this

#12 OFFLINE   MarkG21

MarkG21

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

I was one of those people, too, until I recently rejoined Directv. It's all luck. Plus, they will promise one thing and do another, but all you have to do is call up and complain. btw, while we're talking about those "Come back to Directv" offers they send in the mail, how do I get them to STOP!?! I've gotten 5 since I rejoined.

There is an unsubscribe link at the bottom of the e-mail. 

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

There is an unsubscribe link at the bottom of the e-mail.

There is no "unsubscribe" link on snail mail...lol
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

I've gotten about six snail mail offers to come back since I switched to FiOS 18 months ago. My FiOS commitment runs another six months and I'm pretty happy with the service, but I will take a look again in October to consider switching back to DirecTV.

It does seem ridiculous, though, for you to still get such offers after you have rejoined.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

It does seem ridiculous, though, for you to still get such offers after you have rejoined.

a little bit of topic, I am in the same "boat" with FiOS internet only.  When I got them about 5 years ago, I had an "introductory" plan for $49.99. Then it was going up to $55.99 for the best package back then of 20/5.  fast forward to now and I am paying 69.99 for the same package but now they are offering 50/20 "Quantum". I called in to "inquire" about any offers and was told that if I wanted the new speed it would cost me $89.99.  My Cable company is pricing me a 30/15 connection for $44.99 a month.  When I called FiOS, I told that instead of me canceling my service and getting tons of "please come back offers" why not settle it now.  They did not budge.  So I am going to switch to Cable and see what offers I would get.  

It is sad they you must leave them first before they decide to give any "keep me as a customer" offer.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

Most of those mailers are handled by third parties. But you can call and request to be on the "do not mail offers" list. If they do not know how to do it tell them it is in the privacy tab.

Edited by Volatility, 01 May 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Most of those mailers are handled by third parties. But you can call and request to be on the "do not mail offers" list. If they do not know how to do it tell them it is in the privacy tab.

they might "remove" your name from DirecTV database, but nobody is going to stop these folks from using the USPS service "Every door direct mail"

https://www.usps.com...direct-mail.htm

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

Even though I have no intention of moving, I wonder what DirecTV would do if I did move and took my dish and all my receivers with me and re-installed the whole thing myself (like I did at my present location).  What would they say if I called and said "I just moved could you please change my address in your records."??  They probably wouldn't know what to do.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#19 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 877 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

Even though I have no intention of moving, I wonder what DirecTV would do if I did move and took my dish and all my receivers with me and re-installed the whole thing myself (like I did at my present location).  What would they say if I called and said "I just moved could you please change my address in your records."??  They probably wouldn't know what to do.

Why would they not know what to do? They would do as you asked and change your address. Do you think they are all idiots or something?

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

and you are not/wont be the first person doing this.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall