Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Weather Channel Driving Me Mad!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   NaperDan

NaperDan

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

You know what bugs me? Every time I turn on the weather channel on my HR24 it starts to download useless weather crap, turning it into a zombie for a minute. Only by pressing "exit" can I get the unit to act normal. Anyone else notice this? Can we get a software fix that will allow us to disable this feature? I realize it's local weather, but I can get that elsewhere. Give me a choice.
D*tv'er since the beginning...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,582 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

one would assume that you want to watch the local weather, no?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,478 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

And for how many years did we not get local weather? We got through it then.

#4 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

I don't think he is saying he doesn't want local weather...  It's just that if you go to the weather channel you have to be prepared to wait a while before your receiver responds again.  At least that's what happens if/when I go to the weather channel.  You'd think that in 2013 we could could have local weather and still have the receiver respond to the remote...  

#5 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

I have two HR24s, and I have never experienced The Weather Channel response problem mentioned. Could it be your internet connection is slow?

PrimeStar/DIRECTV subscriber since 10/30/1994.
Roswell, GA (Atlanta Area)
2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
MRV - D* SWiM LNB, PI-21 module, and Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W)
Linksys WRT310N

#6 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:43 AM

Yep, it's slow.  It loads all that interactive crap.  

But, best bet - don't watch the WX Channel - just use your PC/smartphone for weather.

DirecTV customer since 1996

#7 OFFLINE   NaperDan

NaperDan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

I have two HR24s, and I have never experienced The Weather Channel response problem mentioned. Could it be your internet connection is slow?

The local weather information downloads from the satellite - not your Internet connection. Next time you tune to 362, try to change the channel, go to previous, etc. right away. See what happens. All I am asking is that there be a choice to either let the system load the local info, or let us turn off the local info. It also interferes with the ability to view the national radar information that normally displays right away during the "local on the eights" segment. I shouldn't have to constantly hit the "exit" button while tuned it to #362.

#8 OFFLINE   NaperDan

NaperDan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

Yep, it's slow. It loads all that interactive crap.

But, best bet - don't watch the WX Channel - just use your PC/smartphone for weather.

My PC/smartphone doesn't have all those hot WX channel babes!!!!

#9 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,277 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

The local weather information downloads from the satellite - not your Internet connection. Next time you tune to 362, try to change the channel, go to previous, etc. right away. See what happens. All I am asking is that there be a choice to either let the system load the local info, or let us turn off the local info. It also interferes with the ability to view the national radar information that normally displays right away during the "local on the eights" segment. I shouldn't have to constantly hit the "exit" button while tuned it to #362.

Just tried. Guide came up right away. Channel change responded right away. Evidentially not affecting all machines.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#10 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,840 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:28 AM

Maybe it's model specific, because I just tried it with no serious lag or no unresponsiveness.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   NaperDan

NaperDan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:31 AM

Just tried. Guide came up right away. Channel change responded right away. Evidentially not affecting all machines.

Do me this favor. After tuning to it, wait for the notice to hit the red button to get local WX, and then hit "exit" to make the notice go away. Then tune to another channel, (one without special info downloading), and let me know the results.

Thanks

#12 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,840 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

Do me this favor. After tuning to it, wait for the notice to hit the red button to get local WX, and then hit "exit" to make the notice go away. Then tune to another channel, (one without special info downloading), and let me know the results.

Thanks

I got the same results, nothing unusual or slow.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#13 OFFLINE   NaperDan

NaperDan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

Thanks. Mine is an HR24-500. What do you have?

#14 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:46 AM

Thanks

That's what always worked for me. If you hit the red button when it says to you'll notice that the info is not readily available but is in the process of downloading. Hitting the exit button stops the process. But like many others, I've never had it slow things down. It's like Scoreguide, which also take a few seconds in the background to load the info, but again that doesn't slow my channel changing down any.

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

Yep, just tried on my HR34 and HR24-500. No lag
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   NaperDan

NaperDan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

Thanks. I'll try something later today. I still think we should all be able to turn off the information download if we don't want to see the local info on the eights.

#17 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

My 24-100 and 24-500 do show a bit of a lag until the data is loaded but not all that bad.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#18 OFFLINE   ScottP

ScottP

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

On my HR24-200, by the time the red button appears it is responsive again. It's right before that that it's a "zombie".

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

For those that their HR24s are lagging, how much free space is on those HDDVRs?  My HR34 has 90% free and my HR24 has 65% free and no lags.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   rayjr66

rayjr66

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

I have the same problem very frequently.  When I tune to the Weather Channel, I have to wait for the "press red button for local weather" message to appear before my receiver will respond again.  I have an HR24-100.

spam firewall