Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Weather Channel Driving Me Mad!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

If you want to watch The Weather Channel without all that active content try this trick I've used for years.

Tune in channel 362 and hit "pause".  Wait 30 seconds before you do this so the live buffer will have something to pause.  Then simply press PLAY and you will be watching the channel a few seconds delayed from the live buffer.  This eliminates all the delays and the "Eight on the Eights" local forecast BS.  You will be watching the nationwide satellite feed only!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,433 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

Took about 12 seconds to load local weather after hitting red button, and this was on a Genie client.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#23 OFFLINE   Microphone

Microphone

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

It locks up for me too.

You would think with the technology, we could have "real" local weather like cable does.  My local cities are 100 miles away in Eastern Massachusetts. 

#24 OFFLINE   linuspbmo

linuspbmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

My HR-24 also locks up when I tune to the weather channel. I can't change the channel for 15 to 30 seconds while it's loading the local weather box, not a major problem but it's noticable.

#25 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,777 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

You would think with the technology, we could have "real" local weather like cable does.  My local cities are 100 miles away in Eastern Massachusetts.

Cable uses a technology called Intellistar that inserts local on the 8s on the feed for the entire headend. Since DirecTV is a national provider, any local forecasts have to be generated by the receiver.

DirecTV uses the zip code, so in many cases DirecTV's version is much more local compared to cable where in some instances the headend covers multiple counties. Especially here in the Poconos where the terrain can mean a foot of snow in one place and just rain less than 20 minutes away.

Not sure where you are seeing local cities 100 miles away. Are you referring to the regional segment that gives conditions around the state?

#26 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,132 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

I have two HR24s, and I have never experienced The Weather Channel response problem mentioned. Could it be your internet connection is slow?

My bedroom HR24 is without a doubt the absolute slowest of all my receivers, of which I have multiple HR20-700s, HR22s, and an HR21.I've cleared the NVRAM and everything else this forum has suggested via the many posts I've read, but that hasn't helped one bit. The IRD is even slower when I'm on The Weather Channel. I noticed that if I press "exit" on my remote, this tends to clear its "backlog" just a wee bit, freeing it up to do what it's supposed to do.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#27 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 483 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I don't have lock ups of either of my units. One is an HR24/500 and the other a H25/700.

#28 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I don't have lock ups of either of my units. One is an HR24/500 and the other a H25/700.

Join the club...lol
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#29 OFFLINE   Microphone

Microphone

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

Cable uses a technology called Intellistar that inserts local on the 8s on the feed for the entire headend. Since DirecTV is a national provider, any local forecasts have to be generated by the receiver.

DirecTV uses the zip code, so in many cases DirecTV's version is much more local compared to cable where in some instances the headend covers multiple counties. Especially here in the Poconos where the terrain can mean a foot of snow in one place and just rain less than 20 minutes away.

Not sure where you are seeing local cities 100 miles away. Are you referring to the regional segment that gives conditions around the state?

Yes the regional segment.  I understand what you're saying.  In some ways it may be overall a little more accurate, but not nearly the depth that cable has, including local radar.  I guess that's what smartphones are for!

#30 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:34 AM

I also experience fairly long delays on TWC. And the local weather information offered is of little use compared to what's available more quickly on the computer.

spam firewall