Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Help!! Stop Disney from going fullscreen

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 10:56 PM

Disney has just turned a corner with a new policy that all future "B" family titles will be released in P/S 4x3 only. This step is in response to the growing number of complaints they've been receiving about "black bars" by the average consumer who is not familiar with the concept (or benefit) of letterboxing.

Snow Dogs and Muppet Treasure Island are but two of the many soon-to-be-released P/S only DVD titles.

Right now is a *very* critical time for the future of all Disney DVDs as their marketing executives are in the process of finalizing their policy decisions on OAR and DVD. If home-theater enthusiasts wish to continue to be able to purchase WS 16x9 DVDs of "family - B" titles from Disney they need to act quickly and in great numbers.

Consumers who wish to place their vote to advocate for DVDs being presented in their original aspect ratio need to contact Disney by *both* of the following means:

1-800-72-DISNEY
disneyinfo@disneyhelp.com

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 11:31 PM

There, I sent them a nice long message telling them how I feel. This is most disturbing.

#3 OFFLINE   jrjcd

jrjcd

Arcane Movie Trivia King

• Gold Members
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 06:53 AM

poor babies-don't like those nasty "black bars" on the top and bottom of their screen...
personally i hate pan and scan and i haven't seen it out yet, but i would love a version of "Around the Worldin Eighty Days" in letterbox...

I tell you what is creepy-whenever I watch "How the West was Won" on TV and they have those lines on the left and right(giving the impression of a science project backdrop)because cinerama was too big for any kind of real tv viewing-someone walking from one side of the screen to the other in that continuel fish eye look is a hoot!!!
jrjcd(jack)-

"I've got a FEVER...and the ONLY prescription for it is MORE COWBELL!!!!"
Lengendary record producer Bruce Dickinson

#4 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 09:48 AM

Well, remember, you vote evry day with your dollars. Writing to these companies is important, but equally important is just not buying these titles

#5 OFFLINE   EricG

EricG

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 02:52 PM

What are the "B" family titles?

I just pre-ordered Monsters, Inc. ; its 1.85:1
DirecTV HR21
DirecTV HR10-250 (30hr)
Hughes HDVR2 (140hr)
Hughes HDVR2 (107hr)

#6 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 03:27 PM

The ones that weren't very popular AFAIK. Yes, thank God most of the good movies like Monsters Inc will be available OAR, but still, Muppet Treasure Island may not have been as popular, but it's still pretty darn good

#7 OFFLINE   Martyva

Martyva

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 03:37 PM

An off topic question. Are any of the old classics (pre 1953) from Disney available in anything other than full screen?
Yes i'm deaf

#8 OFFLINE   EricG

EricG

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 28 April 2002 - 01:54 PM

IIRC, most pre 55-ish films were only 4:3.
DirecTV HR21
DirecTV HR10-250 (30hr)
Hughes HDVR2 (140hr)
Hughes HDVR2 (107hr)

#9 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 28 April 2002 - 02:36 PM

EricG is correct. Those films are in their original aspect ratio, as they were filmed at 1.37:1 (which is basically identical to 1.33:1)

#10 OFFLINE   EricG

EricG

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 28 April 2002 - 09:26 PM

I've got "Singin' in the Rain" which states on the box that it is presented in its Original Aspect Ratio. Kinda funny as the OAR is full-screen ! (1952)
DirecTV HR21
DirecTV HR10-250 (30hr)
Hughes HDVR2 (140hr)
Hughes HDVR2 (107hr)

#11 OFFLINE   Martyva

Martyva

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 06:33 AM

Colored TV brought the change in movie aspect ratio. It also changed the presentation from a more personal note to a more grandiose one. This does not mean that either aspect is preferable with all movies, but fits better with a certain type of presentation. I do think it's preferable not to change the original intent of the movie.
Yes i'm deaf

#12 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 07:10 AM

When more and more people buy widescreen televisions, Disney is going to have a tough time explaining why their DVD's show black bars on the sides. They are cutting their own throats with this one.

On the other hand, knowing the greed of the Disney corporation, they are probably doing this on purpose so everyone will have to re-buy their DVD's in the widescreen format sometime down the road.

#13 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 07:23 AM

Chris,

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one.

Its called Corporate Greed

#14 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 07:36 AM

I'm wondering if Disney will ever respond to my very long email, which among many other things, addressed the widescreen TV issue...

#15 OFFLINE   EricG

EricG

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 09:52 AM

You may just have to accept that. I've purchased the SAME film on VHS, LaserDisc and DVD.
If you need to keep up with technology, you have no choice.

Originally posted by Chris Blount

On the other hand, knowing the greed of the Disney corporation, they are probably doing this on purpose so everyone will have to re-buy their DVD's in the widescreen format sometime down the road.

spam firewall