Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What are the blackout rules for sports on DirecTV?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lancorp

lancorp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

Can anyone please explain how the DirecTV blackout works?  For crying out loud, we're in San Diego, and EVERY channel that is carrying the NHL Playoffs Red Wings vs Ducks game is BLACKED OUT!

This is so frustrating.  We sat through the OT of the Hawks game on 220 (NBCSN HD) and when they switched to the Ducks game...BLACKED OUT.  215 (NHLHD) blacked out.  Fox Sports West...Blacked out.

So 220, 215, 692 all blacked out.  We (san diego) just got our own Fox Sports (694) but they were showing the Padres Baseball.  PrimeTicket (693) was showing basketball. So why would the other channels be blacked out if we have no other options?

There isn't a channel to watch the game on!!!  And, I believe San Diego is (for whatever reason) considered the market area for the Anaheim Ducks.  We didn't have any problems during regular season.

Are we just sh*t out of luck or is someone falling asleep at the controls at Directv?  I see Ducks fans posting play-by-play on their NHL forum, so SOMEONE is able to watch it.

Makes me want to scream.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

NHL NETWORK blackout in Chicago and no game in on it.

Also NBC SN now has a alt slot but it was not used.

maybe they massed up some how

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#3 OFFLINE   jborchel

jborchel

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

Game is blacked out for me also. I live in North County. Called DTV and agent told me game rights were bought by Comcast so anyone not on Comcast Cable nationwide was blacked out. This can't be true can it?

#4 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:17 PM

Game is blacked out for me also. I live in North County. Called DTV and agent told me game rights were bought by Comcast so anyone not on Comcast Cable nationwide was blacked out. This can't be true can it?

Comcast has the rights to a game on FOX?? and I get red wings ducks on NBC SN.

#5 OFFLINE   dpbdc

dpbdc

• Registered
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNorth County SD

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

So I just signed up to this forum as I came across it while looking for a solution to the same issue. 

I live in North County as well, and I just had two separate calls to DTV on this issue. As noted, there should be no reason for a blackout on NHLN (215), and the game should be visible on NBCSN (220) and FSNW (692). 

As I am sure others have seen, the DTV associates can view channels using the blackout restrictions for our viewing areas, and they were both able to find programming on all three channels. 

Right now they are telling me that they were escalating this to an engineering tech, but it has already been submitted, so they are working on a resolution. 

Nobody mentioned anything about Comcast at my end....I will be furious if that is true....

My Jets aren't in again this year, so I was looking forward to watching the Ducks make a run. Ugh....

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:41 PM

Called DTV and agent told me game rights were bought by Comcast so anyone not on Comcast Cable nationwide was blacked out.

I guess there is a bit of truth in that statement. Since Comcast owns NBC Universal and NBC bought the rights to most of the NHL Playoffs, then I guess you can say that Comcast owns the games.  But the last part of  that statement is false.  As many of us here with DirecTV or Dish were watching the games tonight without a subscription to Comcast. 

The Conference Quarterfinals will be carried on NBC, NBC Sports Network, CNBC and NHL Network. The games in this round are not exclusive nationally except for NBC. Local regional sports networks will have exclusivity in the home markets and the national networks will be blacked out. This does not apply to NBC.

Starting with the Conference Semifinals all the way to the Stanley Cup Final, NBC Sports Group has exclusivity and the local RSN’s will no longer air any of playoff games.

#7 OFFLINE   Blackhawks

Blackhawks

• Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationChicago Area

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:06 AM

The Blackhawks vs Wild Game was televised in Chicago only on Comcast Sportsnet-Chicago and blacked out on NBCSN in Chicago. Normal MO

• Cablevision of Chicago (Became Continental Cable, MediaOne Cable, TCI & Comcast) Customer: 1983 - 2005 .
  • Ameritech Cellular: 1991 - 1994
  • Cellular One (Changed Name to Cingular & AT&T Mobility) Customer: 1995 - 2010
  • AT&T HSI Customer: 1996 - 2010
  • XM Radio (Now SiriusXM) Customer: 2001 - Present 
  • DISH Network Customer: 2005 - 2012
  • AT&T U-Verse Internet Customer: 2010 - Present
  • Verizon Wireless Customer: 2010 - Present
  • DirecTV Customer: 2012 - Present  

#8 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:11 AM

The Blackhawks vs Wild Game was televised in Chicago only on Comcast Sportsnet-Chicago and blacked out on NBCSN in Chicago. Normal MO

yes but after the game some how NHLNET got messed up and NBCSN was open.

#9 OFFLINE   lancorp

lancorp

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:16 AM

I can see the exclusivity thing. I understand that the regional networks might have the rights, but not over NBC, and especially not blacking out ALL the channels such that we can't watch the game at all!
The SAME THING happened last Friday with a DUCKS vs Canucks game (played in Canada). All channels blacked out. And to make matters worse, the game wasn't even scheduled on Center Ice because
it was a Hockey Night in Canada game.

We call DTV that night, and the completely clueless rep said that it was blacked out because the games didn't sell out and the team owners gave the call to black out the games!!!! I AM NOT KIDDING!!!
I handed the phone to my wife (who does a better job of yelling) and she asked to speak to a supervisor. Marcus, the rep of the year, said (and I quote) "Just because you ask for a supervisor doesn't mean you get to speak to one".

In the end, you're left with a feeling of being powerless. You KNOW the game should be on SOMEWHERE, but someone at DTV just isn't getting how this works. Last night was just frustrating, especially after the 220 NBC Sports channel instantly blacked out once the Ducks game came on.

Who can you call or what can you do in these cases?

Edited by lancorp, 01 May 2013 - 06:17 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:55 AM

No good resolution I could find re: NHL games, but some links with explanations:

http://directv.com/blackouts

http://support.direc.../detail/a_id/59

http://support.direc.../detail/a_id/32

To contact DirecTV corporate >>

http://directv.com/email

or

http://investor.dire...m/contactus.cfm >> Ellen Filipiak, Sr. VP Customer Care

Keep in mind that each provider has a different contract with each regional sports network, which determines games, teams, blackouts etc..and that makes it very unlikely any of us can determine when one network will be better than another.

-=K=-

#11 OFFLINE   lancorp

lancorp

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:42 AM

According to one of the links above, my zip code (in San Diego) says:

"The xxxxx ZIP Code is in the home team territory for the following pro teams. With HD Access select channels and teams available in HD are noted below:"

• FS West HD (Los Angeles Kings)
  • PrimeTicket (Anaheim Ducks)
  • FS HD San Diego (Padres)

As such, ANY of these games should ALWAYS be available to me.  My main gripe is that as much as NBC tried to make the later games available on other "alt" channels, even though earlier games were in OT, everything was blacked out.

Edited by lancorp, 01 May 2013 - 08:43 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 670 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

I can't believe that after all of these years, D* CSRs still use that hackneyed line of "game didn't sellout so it's blacked out," and that D* still hasn't done a good job in educating its CSRs on sports blackouts. Nothing is more frustrating than calling them and knowing more than the CSR you are talking to about the situation you are calling about. It's the worst part about being a D* sub. And  for what I am sure is not the last time I repeat this line, only the NFL has a blackout policy that is based on attendance. 

My guess is that the lack of an overflow channel for Prime Ticket & FSN SD caused the problem. 

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,684 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

I think part of the problem is that the blackout rules can get so complex, it's almost impossible to know all the rules and how things are affected in various areas.

#14 OFFLINE   dpbdc

dpbdc

• Registered
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNorth County SD

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

What makes no sense to me is that NHLN was blacked out AND the CSRs were able to view the game on both channels when they 'viewed as' my zipcode. 

I hope they figure this out. I had no such problems last year at this time when I was on Dish....

#15 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

DirecTV's sports programming is really struggling right now.  They really need to figure this out.

#16 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 670 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

It appears that those in SoCal that weren't blacked still had to put up with a spilt screen of the Clips-Kings also.

So much so that Alyssa Milano & Wil Wheaton tweeted their displeasure

http://www.awfulanno...ry-at-once.html

So it does come down to FSW & PT not having overflow channels is causing a lot of problems.

#17 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,907 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:16 PM

So, it's not DirecTV's fault? I'm confused who's to blame.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#18 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,709 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

It appears that those in SoCal that weren't blacked still had to put up with a spilt screen of the Clips-Kings also.

So it does come down to FSW & PT not having overflow channels is causing a lot of problems.

LOL that's crazy. Why didn't they just let their fans watch the CNBC feed and let the other two channels carry basketball and baseball? It would have saved them from having to do that.

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 01 May 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   lancorp

lancorp

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

Here in San Diego, the FS San Diego channel plays the Padres games.  Of course, those are every night it seems, so when are they going to show a Ducks (non-San Diego team yet in our TV market) game on FSSD HD when then Padre's are hogging it?

This crap makes no sense.  If the RSN can't show a particular game because of a conflict, then another network should be allowed to.  

Edited by lancorp, 01 May 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

Here in San Diego, the FS San Diego channel plays the Padres games.  Of course, those are every night it seems, so when are they going to show a Ducks (non-San Diego team yet in our TV market) game on FSSD HD when then Padre's are hogging it?

This crap makes no sense.  If the RSN can't show a particular game because of a conflict, then another network should be allowed to.  

Y'all should be getting the Fox Sports West feed in the clear in San Diego no matter what.  It's some sort of programming error, which DirecTV seems to be overrun with lately.

spam firewall