Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What are the blackout rules for sports on DirecTV?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

Finally got a reply back (after another try) from a DTV CSR that seemed to know what is going on.  

Thank you for writing. As a huge hockey fan myself, I certainly appreciate your disappointment with not being able to view Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs between the Detroit Red Wings and the Anaheim Ducks in its entirety. As you may already be aware, the Stanley Cup Playoff games that started earlier in the evening (St. Louis Blues versus Los Angeles Kings and Chicago Blackhawks versus Minnesota Wild) were tied at the end of regulation, which forced an overtime period and caused these games to run longer than scheduled. NBC placed the beginning of the Red Wings/Ducks game on NHL Network (channel 215); however, technical issues resulted in this feed being blacked out in many areas. This is extremely rare, and I hope you will accept my apology on behalf of DIRECTV for any frustration this caused you. Rest assured NBC and DIRECTV are taking the necessary steps to prevent this from occurring in the future.

I truly appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns, and I hope you enjoy the remainder of this year’s exciting Stanley Cup Playoffs. Thank you again for writing, and for choosing DIRECTV for your sports entertainment needs.

OK, great, so they screwed up.  I can appreciate that.  I now expect they have figured it out and it won't be a problem again (until it happens next time!).   :)

So was the ALT feed of NBC SN not even planed? and a mess up made NBC go back to the old VS / NBCSN alt feed use?

seems better then flipping games to NHL NET? but why not MSNBC. How does NBC / comcast fell about directv getting a better ver on NBC SN then comcast viewers get.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,945 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

I can see the exclusivity thing. I understand that the regional networks might have the rights, but not over NBC.

The dumb non-sellout thing is just plain stupid, but NBC Sports Channel is not God; it isn't even "NBC" as people know it. It is just Versus rebranded. They are subject to rights rules just as any other channel is. Not sure why you put them on a pedestal.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#28 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

The dumb non-sellout thing is just plain stupid, but NBC Sports Channel is not God; it isn't even "NBC" as people know it. It is just Versus rebranded. They are subject to rights rules just as any other channel is. Not sure why you put them on a pedestal.

What non-sellout thing are you referring to?
D* has ALWAYS gone over-board with its blackout policy, erring on the side of blacking out events as opposed to caring them in the clear if there is ever a doubt.  And the vast majority of CSRs are clueless and read from a script written in the '90s about why an event is blacked-out.

#29 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,945 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

What non-sellout thing are you referring to?
D* has ALWAYS gone over-board with its blackout policy, erring on the side of blacking out events as opposed to caring them in the clear if there is ever a doubt.  And the vast majority of CSRs are clueless and read from a script written in the '90s about why an event is blacked-out.

The claim by the CSRs that the games are blacked out because of a non-sellout. It is just plain dumb. It is not real except for NFL games.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#30 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

The blackout rules across almost all sports is illogical, idiotic & greedy.

How a city a hundred miles away can be deemed to be a part of a team is laughable. Feel terrible for those in Vegas who get blacked out of several teams

#31 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

What makes no sense to me is that NHLN was blacked out AND the CSRs were able to view the game on both channels when they 'viewed as' my zipcode. 

I hope they figure this out. I had no such problems last year at this time when I was on Dish....

There is no tool to figure out if the game is blacked out in your area, which would be rather nice but would have to be real-time and that's never going to happen or they would have it online for you to use.  It's up to the CSR to use common sense and figure out the issue... you see where I was headed with that one.  They were most likely using D*.com and using your zip code when browsing the "Guide".  A little more common sense should have told them they were only looking at the guide, not your actual programming.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#32 OFFLINE   dpbdc

dpbdc

• Registered
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNorth County SD

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:11 AM

There is no tool to figure out if the game is blacked out in your area, which would be rather nice but would have to be real-time and that's never going to happen or they would have it online for you to use.  It's up to the CSR to use common sense and figure out the issue... you see where I was headed with that one.  They were most likely using D*.com and using your zip code when browsing the "Guide".  A little more common sense should have told them they were only looking at the guide, not your actual programming.

That is what I initially thought, but I specifically asked what she was doing to determine what I should be seeing. She told me she was actually tuning into channels using my zip and package settings to determine what i should be seeing...her words were 'i have that on my screen here, you should be getting it too'.

It appears that there was a severe error in how the carrier was blacking out signals to subscribers more than  anything. No matter, it seems to have been resolved, watched the game tonight on 694. 

#33 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,600 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:51 AM

Each year there are 'issues' during the playoffs if the games go longer than their allotted three hours. What time does NBC's coverage start on Saturday for the Kentucky Derby?

Also keep in mind that during the first round, you shouldn't be able to watch any of the games on your RSN and a national channel at the same time.

#34 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

Also keep in mind that during the first round, you shouldn't be able to watch any of the games on your RSN and a national channel at the same time.

Correct, usually the national network will be blacked out and you'll have the games on locals/RSN's.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#35 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

Just speculating, but perhaps the newer remotes can sense your heartbeat, respiration rate, level of excitement, etc. when you are tuning to a sporting event, and if your readings exceed a certain threshold, the box will automatically blackout the game ??

The key might be to act totally nonchalant about watching the game.  Feign ennui, evince boredom, even mutter to your spouse if the game isn't very good you'll go paint the garage or something.  Maybe pretend to be asleep, and 'accidentally' tune to the channel with the game.

Then, maybe the box will let you watch.  And of course, once you are watching the game, don't react, pretend to read the newspaper, don't jump up and shout or anything else to draw attention.  If the box decides you are liking the event too much, it will shut off access.

:eek2:

• Laxguy likes this

#36 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

Each year there are 'issues' during the playoffs if the games go longer than their allotted three hours. What time does NBC's coverage start on Saturday for the Kentucky Derby?

NBC games are not on RSN's

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#37 OFFLINE   dpbdc

dpbdc

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

Here we go again. Game 7 no less. F

#38 OFFLINE   dpbdc

dpbdc

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

Game should be on NBC SN or FSW according to NHL.com. FSW has other programming and NBCSN blacked out after the Leafs/Bruins game ran over. 

Blackouts across the board on 220 and 221. THese guys need to get their shiz together or I am going back to Dish. 

#39 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,600 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

Wow.  I'm watching Wings/Ducks on both 220 and 221-1. 

#40 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,678 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

I see the game on 692, what did you see?

#41 OFFLINE   dpbdc

dpbdc

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

Just spent an hour with an CSR. Apparently the story goes that the local FSPT (693) and FSW (692) did not pick up the rights to the game, probably because it was a national game on NBCSN (220/1). DTV alleges the same thing happened in DETROIT. 

Because the NBCSN blackout is from the league, and it assumes that the local sports channels (I am in SoCal) are going to carry, it killed the national feed in Socal and Detroit in spite of the fact that the locals did not pick up the broadcast. 

This is a BIG mess for DTV and they say they are getting tons of calls about it. 

I am betting this has to do with the fact that it was an extra game and the scheduling was not properly revised, and/or the memo between the NHL/NBC and the locals got lost in the shuffle. What a mess. 

#42 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,600 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

My 692 is blacked out and says I have to call to add the channel. But even if I did add it, I shouldn't be able to watch the game on that channel since I'm not in the FS West area. 

#43 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,678 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

Just spent an hour with an CSR. Apparently the story goes that the local FSPT (693) and FSW (692) did not pick up the rights to the game, probably because it was a national game on NBCSN (220/1). DTV alleges the same thing happened in DETROIT.

The CSR is confused since the listings providers didn't include the game in the schedule since it wasn't even scheduled until yesterday. (They couldn't even put it in as an "If Neccessary" game like they usually do because the timeslot wasn't finalized until yesterday) That entire statement is wrong too, the RSNs have the local rights to the games for the early rounds, national cable networks like CNBC, NHL and NBCSN only have the out of market rights, while NBC games are nationwide exclusives.

BOTH Fox Sports West and Fox Sports Detroit are airing the game as I'm typing this:
Channel 692 has the game with the Fox Sports Ducks logo
Channel 663 has the game with the Fox Sports Redwings logo.

Unfortunately because of the last minute scheduling NHL is doing for these games, the game search feature won't pick it up, which is likely even more cause for confusion. (It's probably also why I can see the games here in NEPA on both channels with sports pack, since they think World Poker Tour is airing)

Edited by KyL416, 12 May 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#44 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 815 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

You really have to hand it to the CSR's who make up these whoppers.

Their only defense is, as kyl said, it's not in the guide.

NBCSN will not be happy when they find FS Detroit and FS West are in the clear for Sports Pack subs.

Edit: Here's another oddity about the RSN's being in the clear. At midnight, FS Detroit was scheduled to show a replay of Sunday's Tigers game.... which should have been automatically blacked out.

Edited by cmasia, 12 May 2013 - 10:43 PM.

#45 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

The CSR is confused since the listings providers didn't include the game in the schedule since it wasn't even scheduled until yesterday. (They couldn't even put it in as an "If Neccessary" game like they usually do because the timeslot wasn't finalized until yesterday) That entire statement is wrong too, the RSNs have the local rights to the games for the early rounds, national cable networks like CNBC, NHL and NBCSN only have the out of market rights, while NBC games are nationwide exclusives.

BOTH Fox Sports West and Fox Sports Detroit are airing the game as I'm typing this:
Channel 692 has the game with the Fox Sports Ducks logo
Channel 663 has the game with the Fox Sports Redwings logo.

Unfortunately because of the last minute scheduling NHL is doing for these games, the game search feature won't pick it up, which is likely even more cause for confusion. (It's probably also why I can see the games here in NEPA on both channels with sports pack, since they think World Poker Tour is airing)

I can confirm that the game aired on 692 (Ducks) and 663 (Redwings) here in the City of San Diego.

#46 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 827 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

The last minute scheduling must be messing with the blackouts too. I do not get any Rangers games on MSG due to MSG and Directv no coming to terms for some or their "extended area" DMA people like me.

HOWEVER, sunday's Rangers/Caps game WAS available on MSG(as well as NBC). Fast forward to last night and the game was BLACKED OUT on MSG(but was available on NBCSN).

It's very frustrating with the games they play and these blackouts. I am so hoping that blackout lawsuit that is floating around proceeds.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Yamaha RX-V675 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#47 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

I don't follow the sports blackouts that closely, but I have picked up on what I think is the salient issue;

the 'rules' are just too damn complicated.

How about blacking out games in the specific DMA the game is actually played in?

Seems like everybody could wrap their noodle around that and make the system at D* work.  Have someone slip a congress critter a few hundred thousand for re-election campaign funds and he can slip the appropriate legislation unnoticed into the Administrative Oversight Committee on Legislative Governmental Regulatory Reform and Renewal Ombudsman Enabling Act re-authorization and you'd be there.

:nono2:

#48 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,714 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

I wonder how many hours have been wasted in talking to CSRs over a subject they are unlikely to have current information on? No doubt DIRECTV® has had its share of snafus, but it has no control over either blackout rules or who broadcasts what on which channel, so that NBC has a wide variety of slots it can put games onto (or not). And then there's the Tribune, who's the intermediary with Guide info. 

Safest is to be home when the game starts! Convenient! But a couple of times I did that, I got the message that game X was not on channel xyz, do I want to search? And find it they did. On the CW! I didn't even have that in my custom channel list.....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#49 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

I don't follow the sports blackouts that closely, but I have picked up on what I think is the salient issue;

the 'rules' are just too damn complicated.

How about blacking out games in the specific DMA the game is actually played in?

Seems like everybody could wrap their noodle around that and make the system at D* work.  Have someone slip a congress critter a few hundred thousand for re-election campaign funds and he can slip the appropriate legislation unnoticed into the Administrative Oversight Committee on Legislative Governmental Regulatory Reform and Renewal Ombudsman Enabling Act re-authorization and you'd be there.

:nono2:

Are you kidding? The specific DMA that the game is played in probably gets the highest ratings. That's a terrible idea.

#50 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

Directv Sports aka Root Sports, has picked up rights to Mountain West Conference football and basketball games. Is it safe to assume these games won't be blacked out to those outside of the region tuning in via the sports pack? It seems like most college sports weren't blacked out unless there was a good reason (i.e. ACC games also on ESPN, University of Hawaii games sold on ppv in Hawaii but sublicensed to an RSN for their local area)

http://www.themwc.co.../051513aac.html

Protected By... spam firewall...And...