Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What are the blackout rules for sports on DirecTV?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

From all of the threads that have been started here over the years, I'd have to say that there are no consistant rules.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   lancorp

lancorp

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

I emailed their support team this morning and got a reply just now.  They claim I have a hardware problem and my Protection Plan will take care of it.  

Losing faith in DirecTV, one CSR at a time...

#23 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

One of my clients suggests DirecTVs blackout rule applies to any game he particularly wants to watch . . .

:bang

#24 OFFLINE   lemme14

lemme14

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

I'll throw another log on the fire.  I did not have an issue seeing the Wings-Ducks game on NHLN.  However, my dad lives in South Bend, IN and the game was blacked out for him during the time it was on NHLN.  It sounds like a similar issue to what you folks in SD are experiencing.  The one difference is that while he gets the Tigers on FSD (with the Sports pack), the only way he can get Red Wing games is with Center Ice, so the Wings are not 'directly' claiming his area.  This is unlike the example for the Ducks, which do appear to claim SD as their viewing territory.  Interestingly enough, this is not the first time that it has happened.  There have been occassions during regular season games on NHLN where the Wings game has been blacked out for him.  It never occured before the NHLN, and it only appears to occur when games are on NHLN (though not all the time).  The thing I really don't understand is that Directv has an overflow channel set up for NBCN (221).  They could have easily shown the game on that channel.

Edited by lemme14, 01 May 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   lancorp

lancorp

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

Finally got a reply back (after another try) from a DTV CSR that seemed to know what is going on.  

Thank you for writing. As a huge hockey fan myself, I certainly appreciate your disappointment with not being able to view Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs between the Detroit Red Wings and the Anaheim Ducks in its entirety. As you may already be aware, the Stanley Cup Playoff games that started earlier in the evening (St. Louis Blues versus Los Angeles Kings and Chicago Blackhawks versus Minnesota Wild) were tied at the end of regulation, which forced an overtime period and caused these games to run longer than scheduled. NBC placed the beginning of the Red Wings/Ducks game on NHL Network (channel 215); however, technical issues resulted in this feed being blacked out in many areas. This is extremely rare, and I hope you will accept my apology on behalf of DIRECTV for any frustration this caused you. Rest assured NBC and DIRECTV are taking the necessary steps to prevent this from occurring in the future.

I truly appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns, and I hope you enjoy the remainder of this year’s exciting Stanley Cup Playoffs. Thank you again for writing, and for choosing DIRECTV for your sports entertainment needs.

OK, great, so they screwed up.  I can appreciate that.  I now expect they have figured it out and it won't be a problem again (until it happens next time!).  :)

#26 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

Finally got a reply back (after another try) from a DTV CSR that seemed to know what is going on.  

Thank you for writing. As a huge hockey fan myself, I certainly appreciate your disappointment with not being able to view Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs between the Detroit Red Wings and the Anaheim Ducks in its entirety. As you may already be aware, the Stanley Cup Playoff games that started earlier in the evening (St. Louis Blues versus Los Angeles Kings and Chicago Blackhawks versus Minnesota Wild) were tied at the end of regulation, which forced an overtime period and caused these games to run longer than scheduled. NBC placed the beginning of the Red Wings/Ducks game on NHL Network (channel 215); however, technical issues resulted in this feed being blacked out in many areas. This is extremely rare, and I hope you will accept my apology on behalf of DIRECTV for any frustration this caused you. Rest assured NBC and DIRECTV are taking the necessary steps to prevent this from occurring in the future.

I truly appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns, and I hope you enjoy the remainder of this year’s exciting Stanley Cup Playoffs. Thank you again for writing, and for choosing DIRECTV for your sports entertainment needs.

OK, great, so they screwed up.  I can appreciate that.  I now expect they have figured it out and it won't be a problem again (until it happens next time!).   :)

So was the ALT feed of NBC SN not even planed? and a mess up made NBC go back to the old VS / NBCSN alt feed use?

seems better then flipping games to NHL NET? but why not MSNBC. How does NBC / comcast fell about directv getting a better ver on NBC SN then comcast viewers get.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#27 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

I can see the exclusivity thing. I understand that the regional networks might have the rights, but not over NBC.

The dumb non-sellout thing is just plain stupid, but NBC Sports Channel is not God; it isn't even "NBC" as people know it. It is just Versus rebranded. They are subject to rights rules just as any other channel is. Not sure why you put them on a pedestal.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#28 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

The dumb non-sellout thing is just plain stupid, but NBC Sports Channel is not God; it isn't even "NBC" as people know it. It is just Versus rebranded. They are subject to rights rules just as any other channel is. Not sure why you put them on a pedestal.

What non-sellout thing are you referring to?
D* has ALWAYS gone over-board with its blackout policy, erring on the side of blacking out events as opposed to caring them in the clear if there is ever a doubt.  And the vast majority of CSRs are clueless and read from a script written in the '90s about why an event is blacked-out.

#29 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

What non-sellout thing are you referring to?
D* has ALWAYS gone over-board with its blackout policy, erring on the side of blacking out events as opposed to caring them in the clear if there is ever a doubt.  And the vast majority of CSRs are clueless and read from a script written in the '90s about why an event is blacked-out.

The claim by the CSRs that the games are blacked out because of a non-sellout. It is just plain dumb. It is not real except for NFL games.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#30 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

The blackout rules across almost all sports is illogical, idiotic & greedy.

How a city a hundred miles away can be deemed to be a part of a team is laughable. Feel terrible for those in Vegas who get blacked out of several teams

#31 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

What makes no sense to me is that NHLN was blacked out AND the CSRs were able to view the game on both channels when they 'viewed as' my zipcode. 

I hope they figure this out. I had no such problems last year at this time when I was on Dish....

There is no tool to figure out if the game is blacked out in your area, which would be rather nice but would have to be real-time and that's never going to happen or they would have it online for you to use.  It's up to the CSR to use common sense and figure out the issue... you see where I was headed with that one.  They were most likely using D*.com and using your zip code when browsing the "Guide".  A little more common sense should have told them they were only looking at the guide, not your actual programming.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#32 OFFLINE   dpbdc

dpbdc

• Registered
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNorth County SD

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:11 AM

There is no tool to figure out if the game is blacked out in your area, which would be rather nice but would have to be real-time and that's never going to happen or they would have it online for you to use.  It's up to the CSR to use common sense and figure out the issue... you see where I was headed with that one.  They were most likely using D*.com and using your zip code when browsing the "Guide".  A little more common sense should have told them they were only looking at the guide, not your actual programming.

That is what I initially thought, but I specifically asked what she was doing to determine what I should be seeing. She told me she was actually tuning into channels using my zip and package settings to determine what i should be seeing...her words were 'i have that on my screen here, you should be getting it too'.

It appears that there was a severe error in how the carrier was blacking out signals to subscribers more than  anything. No matter, it seems to have been resolved, watched the game tonight on 694. 

#33 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,310 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:51 AM

Each year there are 'issues' during the playoffs if the games go longer than their allotted three hours. What time does NBC's coverage start on Saturday for the Kentucky Derby?

Also keep in mind that during the first round, you shouldn't be able to watch any of the games on your RSN and a national channel at the same time.

#34 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

Also keep in mind that during the first round, you shouldn't be able to watch any of the games on your RSN and a national channel at the same time.

Correct, usually the national network will be blacked out and you'll have the games on locals/RSN's.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#35 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

Just speculating, but perhaps the newer remotes can sense your heartbeat, respiration rate, level of excitement, etc. when you are tuning to a sporting event, and if your readings exceed a certain threshold, the box will automatically blackout the game ??

The key might be to act totally nonchalant about watching the game.  Feign ennui, evince boredom, even mutter to your spouse if the game isn't very good you'll go paint the garage or something.  Maybe pretend to be asleep, and 'accidentally' tune to the channel with the game.

Then, maybe the box will let you watch.  And of course, once you are watching the game, don't react, pretend to read the newspaper, don't jump up and shout or anything else to draw attention.  If the box decides you are liking the event too much, it will shut off access.

:eek2:

• Laxguy likes this

#36 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

Each year there are 'issues' during the playoffs if the games go longer than their allotted three hours. What time does NBC's coverage start on Saturday for the Kentucky Derby?

NBC games are not on RSN's

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#37 OFFLINE   dpbdc

dpbdc

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

Here we go again. Game 7 no less. F

#38 OFFLINE   dpbdc

dpbdc

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

Game should be on NBC SN or FSW according to NHL.com. FSW has other programming and NBCSN blacked out after the Leafs/Bruins game ran over. 

Blackouts across the board on 220 and 221. THese guys need to get their shiz together or I am going back to Dish. 

#39 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,310 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

Wow.  I'm watching Wings/Ducks on both 220 and 221-1. 

#40 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,917 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

I see the game on 692, what did you see?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...