Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What are the blackout rules for sports on DirecTV?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dpbdc

dpbdc

• Registered
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNorth County SD

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

Just spent an hour with an CSR. Apparently the story goes that the local FSPT (693) and FSW (692) did not pick up the rights to the game, probably because it was a national game on NBCSN (220/1). DTV alleges the same thing happened in DETROIT. 

Because the NBCSN blackout is from the league, and it assumes that the local sports channels (I am in SoCal) are going to carry, it killed the national feed in Socal and Detroit in spite of the fact that the locals did not pick up the broadcast. 

This is a BIG mess for DTV and they say they are getting tons of calls about it. 

I am betting this has to do with the fact that it was an extra game and the scheduling was not properly revised, and/or the memo between the NHL/NBC and the locals got lost in the shuffle. What a mess. 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,073 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

My 692 is blacked out and says I have to call to add the channel. But even if I did add it, I shouldn't be able to watch the game on that channel since I'm not in the FS West area. 

#43 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

Just spent an hour with an CSR. Apparently the story goes that the local FSPT (693) and FSW (692) did not pick up the rights to the game, probably because it was a national game on NBCSN (220/1). DTV alleges the same thing happened in DETROIT.

The CSR is confused since the listings providers didn't include the game in the schedule since it wasn't even scheduled until yesterday. (They couldn't even put it in as an "If Neccessary" game like they usually do because the timeslot wasn't finalized until yesterday) That entire statement is wrong too, the RSNs have the local rights to the games for the early rounds, national cable networks like CNBC, NHL and NBCSN only have the out of market rights, while NBC games are nationwide exclusives.

BOTH Fox Sports West and Fox Sports Detroit are airing the game as I'm typing this:
Channel 692 has the game with the Fox Sports Ducks logo
Channel 663 has the game with the Fox Sports Redwings logo.

Unfortunately because of the last minute scheduling NHL is doing for these games, the game search feature won't pick it up, which is likely even more cause for confusion. (It's probably also why I can see the games here in NEPA on both channels with sports pack, since they think World Poker Tour is airing)

Edited by KyL416, 12 May 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#44 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 639 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

You really have to hand it to the CSR's who make up these whoppers.

Their only defense is, as kyl said, it's not in the guide.

NBCSN will not be happy when they find FS Detroit and FS West are in the clear for Sports Pack subs.

Edit: Here's another oddity about the RSN's being in the clear. At midnight, FS Detroit was scheduled to show a replay of Sunday's Tigers game.... which should have been automatically blacked out.

Edited by cmasia, 12 May 2013 - 10:43 PM.

#45 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 134 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

The CSR is confused since the listings providers didn't include the game in the schedule since it wasn't even scheduled until yesterday. (They couldn't even put it in as an "If Neccessary" game like they usually do because the timeslot wasn't finalized until yesterday) That entire statement is wrong too, the RSNs have the local rights to the games for the early rounds, national cable networks like CNBC, NHL and NBCSN only have the out of market rights, while NBC games are nationwide exclusives.

BOTH Fox Sports West and Fox Sports Detroit are airing the game as I'm typing this:
Channel 692 has the game with the Fox Sports Ducks logo
Channel 663 has the game with the Fox Sports Redwings logo.

Unfortunately because of the last minute scheduling NHL is doing for these games, the game search feature won't pick it up, which is likely even more cause for confusion. (It's probably also why I can see the games here in NEPA on both channels with sports pack, since they think World Poker Tour is airing)

I can confirm that the game aired on 692 (Ducks) and 663 (Redwings) here in the City of San Diego.

#46 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 820 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

The last minute scheduling must be messing with the blackouts too. I do not get any Rangers games on MSG due to MSG and Directv no coming to terms for some or their "extended area" DMA people like me.

HOWEVER, sunday's Rangers/Caps game WAS available on MSG(as well as NBC). Fast forward to last night and the game was BLACKED OUT on MSG(but was available on NBCSN).

It's very frustrating with the games they play and these blackouts. I am so hoping that blackout lawsuit that is floating around proceeds.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#47 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

I don't follow the sports blackouts that closely, but I have picked up on what I think is the salient issue;

the 'rules' are just too damn complicated.

How about blacking out games in the specific DMA the game is actually played in?

Seems like everybody could wrap their noodle around that and make the system at D* work.  Have someone slip a congress critter a few hundred thousand for re-election campaign funds and he can slip the appropriate legislation unnoticed into the Administrative Oversight Committee on Legislative Governmental Regulatory Reform and Renewal Ombudsman Enabling Act re-authorization and you'd be there.

:nono2:

#48 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,721 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

I wonder how many hours have been wasted in talking to CSRs over a subject they are unlikely to have current information on? No doubt DIRECTV® has had its share of snafus, but it has no control over either blackout rules or who broadcasts what on which channel, so that NBC has a wide variety of slots it can put games onto (or not). And then there's the Tribune, who's the intermediary with Guide info. 

Safest is to be home when the game starts! Convenient! But a couple of times I did that, I got the message that game X was not on channel xyz, do I want to search? And find it they did. On the CW! I didn't even have that in my custom channel list.....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#49 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

I don't follow the sports blackouts that closely, but I have picked up on what I think is the salient issue;

the 'rules' are just too damn complicated.

How about blacking out games in the specific DMA the game is actually played in?

Seems like everybody could wrap their noodle around that and make the system at D* work.  Have someone slip a congress critter a few hundred thousand for re-election campaign funds and he can slip the appropriate legislation unnoticed into the Administrative Oversight Committee on Legislative Governmental Regulatory Reform and Renewal Ombudsman Enabling Act re-authorization and you'd be there.

:nono2:

Are you kidding? The specific DMA that the game is played in probably gets the highest ratings. That's a terrible idea.

#50 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

Directv Sports aka Root Sports, has picked up rights to Mountain West Conference football and basketball games. Is it safe to assume these games won't be blacked out to those outside of the region tuning in via the sports pack? It seems like most college sports weren't blacked out unless there was a good reason (i.e. ACC games also on ESPN, University of Hawaii games sold on ppv in Hawaii but sublicensed to an RSN for their local area)

http://www.themwc.co.../051513aac.html

#51 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

Maybe nothing's safe to assume! But you sound to be on sound ground.... but note that broadcast rights are different from blackout rules, so theoretically, ESPN or others could buy rights and so you'd have to go to ESPN or NBC or whomever. And assuming there's no Pac12 team involved, as some of those games won't be on DIRECTV® due to the Pac12 conference selling out to greed, I mean TV rights.

#52 OFFLINE   bigwilly087

bigwilly087

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

Maybe nothing's safe to assume! But you sound to be on sound ground.... but note that broadcast rights are different from blackout rules, so theoretically, ESPN or others could buy rights and so you'd have to go to ESPN or NBC or whomever. And assuming there's no Pac12 team involved, as some of those games won't be on DIRECTV® due to the Pac12 conference selling out to greed, I mean TV rights.

Well the only games airing on Root are those not picked up by ESPN or CBS, there won't be an overlap there, and any Pac 12 teams involved would be as road teams and thus they wouldn't have any say in the broadcast rights. As an out of region alumni my fingers are crossed that I will now be able to see almost every game live between the ESPN Networks, CBS Sports, and now Root.

#53 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

Sounds like you have it covered! But you are either an alumnus or an alumna! 

Happy viewing. 

spam firewall