Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Loose wire on pole mount

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   soetart

soetart

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:57 PM

A couple of days ago I noticed a loose wire hanging from the pole mount of my satellite dish. The only way I can think that this wire got loose was that it was severed / extracted by my landscaper who did work here last Friday. To me it appears to be a grounding wire of some kind.

I am attaching a couple of pictures of the wire, my question is, is this something I can simply rebury in the ground or does the wire appear damaged / severed and I should get a replacement? If a replacement is needed, what type of wire is this and where can I get it?

Any help would be appreciated,

Bill

Attached Thumbnails

• wire1.jpg
  • wire2.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,589 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:23 AM

I dont see the other "end" of the wire. Looks like it was a "fake" ground
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   soetart

soetart

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:15 AM

I dont see the other "end" of the wire. Looks like it was a "fake" ground

Didn't search close enough in the ground yet to see if the other end was in the ground and the wire was severed or just a fake. Sounds like you think it was a fake to begin with. If I wanted to replace it with a real ground, what kind of wire would I need and where could I find installation info?

Thanks

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,589 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:50 AM

You would need to get a SIngle RG6 SCC with "messenger" or ground wire attached. Also note that the screw is not not an "approved" ground "device" you would need to use a galvanized ground strap to be up to "code"
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

NEC code requires a Flat surface for the ground at the pole and since the old way we used to do it was screw in a green ground lug into the pole and attach the messenger wire...........     I find it funny how they worded it because they didn't want a round surface to be under the messenger wire like the pole itself , yet the messenger wire is ROUND lol.     Anyways I just flatten a little dent in the pole to make it flat and still use the ground lugs like before.......  Only because the rule states it must be a flat surface.  It doesn't state you HAVE to use a galvanized strap............        Funny stuff though they keep changing it.........   

SIG

#6 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 877 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

To me that looks like the #17 ground wire that has been pulled away from the cable. 

spam firewall