Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Netherlands on FTA

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:02 AM

I thought it might be fun to start some threads on different types and sources of programming available on Free-To-Air (FTA) satellite. Feel free to start a thread on any different languages/styles, and we can discuss them.

I though I'd start with the Netherlands.....

Some fantastic coverage last night on the celebration of the new King and Queen, on BVN-TV Amerika (SES-1, 101 W, 21-V, 12120 MHz).

They had the kind of coverage you'd expect from a major broadcast network, as they covered the evening's event (obviously on a delayed basis for the Western Hemisphere). Lots of entertainment from the site in Amsterdam, with a DJ, a full symphony orchestra, opera stars, folk singers, dancer, etc.

They covered the new King and Queen (the Dutch don't have an actual "Coronation") taking a launch across the waters of the Port of Amsterdam, fireworks, military jet flyover,...hours of coverage.

Their regular programming consists of typical-style mix of news, music, variety and game shows. Some of their variety and "hidden-camera" style shows can have some slightly risque (from an American viewpoint) segments, which generally run late at night. They cover news of North-Western Europe and especially Holland.

Production values are excellent, as is the technical quality.

I believe there is also a "BVN Radio" channel on there, although I don't see the details listed on Lyngsat. There used to be several radio channels of Radio Netherlands Worldwide until they went off the air last year.

As a side note, that same transponder carries three promo feeds for SES, one each in MPEG-2 SD, MPEG-4 SD and MPEG-4 HD.....a nice way to test your receive setup.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...