Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Netflix pulls nearly 2,000 titles from library

netflix streaming Streamageddon pulls content library catalog dvd blu-ray iptv

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

Netflix pulled nearly 2,000 titles from their library this morning on what is being called 'Streamageddon' day.

http://www.thestreet...geddon-day.html

http://news.cnet.com...classic-titles/

http://www.theverge....arting-tomorrow

http://www.mobilemar...-catalog-32051/

Netflix reacts to May 1 purge of online content: http://popwatch.ew.c...tent-streaming/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,592 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

Another reason iTunes is way better. I'm glad I didn't renew my account.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

It isn't so much that they "pulled" content... as it is the owners of that content didn't want to renew the contract.  Warner, I gather, is starting their own streaming service.

I think this is just the beginning of what I said a long time ago... people who thought that Netflix for $8 a month was going to be a permanent thing were kidding themselves...  Either the price has to go up or the companies will start pulling their content and selling it themselves.

At the moment, it looks like we might be headed to streaming networks... where Warner and other companies will each have their own subscription service... so IF you want some content from various companies, you'll end up subscribing to multiple services to get it... and you'll be approaching the price of your cable/satellite bill once again.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

Another reason iTunes is way better. I'm glad I didn't renew my account.

How's paying for every episode, season or movie better than unlimited streaming access? iTunes is great, but they're fairly different. Mad Men is $35 per season...Netflix has seasons 1-5 for the standard $10/month fee.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,592 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

How's paying for every episode, season or movie better than unlimited streaming access? iTunes is great, but they're fairly different. Mad Men is $35 per season...Netflix has seasons 1-5 for the standard $10/month fee.

My favorite part of iTunes is I can download my favorite shows commercial free the next day instead of fast forwarding through commercials every 10 minutes and having to see ads for other shows and giant logos that never disappear all over the screen. As opposed to waiting until a month after the DVD's come out on Netflix.

Plus Netflix's movie selection is terrible, and even worse now obviously. I don't need unlimited streaming either, after I've seen a movie I'll probably will never watch it again, I think there's like 5-10 movies I've seen more than once in my whole life.

Edited by Coca Cola Kid, 01 May 2013 - 06:28 PM.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#6 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

My favorite part of iTunes is I can download my favorite shows commercial free the next day instead of fast forwarding through commercials every 10 minutes and having to see ads for other shows and giant logos that never disappear all over the screen. As opposed to waiting until a month after the DVD's come out on Netflix.
Plus Netflix's movie selection is terrible, and even worse now obviously. I don't need unlimited streaming either, after I've seen a movie I'll probably will never watch it again, I think there's like 5-10 movies I've seen more than once in my whole life.

I agree with you, iTunes is great but as sigma said, they are not a service competing with Netflix streaming. Saying iTunes is better just because Netflix lost some streaming titles doesn't really make any sense.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

Yeah, iTunes is more like buying whereas Netflix is more like renting... apples and oranges.

iTunes did have a rental model for a short time, the ability to rent TV shows for 99 cents I think... but that disappeared pretty quickly.

#8 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

Yeah, iTunes is more like buying whereas Netflix is more like renting... apples and oranges.

iTunes did have a rental model for a short time, the ability to rent TV shows for 99 cents I think... but that disappeared pretty quickly.

Well, you can rent movies on iTunes too. I think of it as a competitor to services like Vudu and even DirectTV pay per view and such. Netflix streaming is a whole different ball of wax.

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

Well, you can rent movies on iTunes too. I think of it as a competitor to services like Vudu and even DirectTV pay per view and such. Netflix streaming is a whole different ball of wax.

I forgot about the movie rentals... I was just thinking about TV shows.

You're right, though... iTunes movie rentals are more like PPV or something on your cable/satellite subscription.

#10 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

One of the reasons I cancelled Netflix is because their streaming selection was lackey to me-lol now they make it worst. I wouldn't say ITunes is better though. Not by a long shot. Amazon is pretty good.

Edited by Volatility, 11 June 2013 - 09:12 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

One of the reasons I cancelled Netflix is because their streaming selection was lackey to me-lol now they make it worst. I wouldn't say ITunes is better though. Not by a long shot. Amazon is pretty good.

Not sure why iTunes is being brought up again, they don't have a "streaming selection" in the way Netflix does. There really isn't anything to compare.

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,345 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

Not sure why iTunes is being brought up again, they don't have a "streaming selection" in the way Netflix does. There really isn't anything to compare.

There's a fair amount to compare. People make choices in what to view, what to spend, not necessarily on whether it streams or downloads. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: netflix, streaming, Streamageddon, pulls, content, library, catalog, dvd, blu-ray, iptv

Protected By... spam firewall...And...