Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Old dvr recordings.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vfviola

vfviola

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

I couldn't find where the topic was for this so please forgive me for repeating.  I just ordered the Genie.  I have a ton of recordings on the dvr I am sending back.  Can I leave the receiver connected to view recordings?  I will be connecting the Genie, but wanted to keep thr hr21-200 going for recordings.  Any feedback is appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

You can keep it activated for as long as you want. Watch your older recordings then deactivate the reciever when you're thru.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,301 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

FIrst, if you keep the DVR, you will be paying the monthly fee until you send it back to DirecTV.  and second, while you maybe able to view the recordings on the HDDVR without a satellite connection, this would not be for too long.  It could be a matter of days and/or weeks before the  authorization expires on that HDDVR

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

It could be a matter of days and/or weeks before the  authorization expires on that HDDVR

More likely a matter of hours. Anecdotal information suggests something under 35 hours.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,301 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

More likely a matter of hours. Anecdotal information suggests something under 35 hours.

I have seen "movers" with receivers disconnected for a week and upon reconnection they fired right up, whereas I have seen service calls with receivers not working (771) for a day or 2 and upon fixing they go to 721.  so who knows….

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 592 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:42 AM

I couldn't find where the topic was for this so please forgive me for repeating.  I just ordered the Genie.  I have a ton of recordings on the dvr I am sending back.  Can I leave the receiver connected to view recordings?  I will be connecting the Genie, but wanted to keep thr hr21-200 going for recordings.  Any feedback is appreciated.

Of course you'll have to pay for the extra receiver, but there's no reason you can't do this. I kept my R22 for over a year for this very reason. Just hook each receiver up to a different input on your TV. You also might need to do some programing on your remote.

#7 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

I have seen "movers" with receivers disconnected for a week and upon reconnection they fired right up, whereas I have seen service calls with receivers not working (771) for a day or 2 and upon fixing they go to 721.  so who knows….

Somebody knows. I just don't think they are talking.

What we have to assume is that DTV does not want you to be able to easily move DVRs around unconnected for very long, because that would mean that folks could terminate secondary outlets on DVRs that had 400 hours of recorded shows, and they could use those outlets to continue to view recordings without paying for a continued connection; this aside from the fact that the shows were recorded with a legal connection. Also, theoretically, a customer could drop service months ahead of when they normally would and survive on recordings while waiting to either reup or move to a competitor. People actually do that. It's a churn issue, and DTV doesn't want to leave any money on the table for those who are trying to game the system, even if they are doing that legally.

My personal feeling is that if they make it difficult for a subscriber to pack up a loaded DVR and take that to their cabin in the woods for a weekend, then they are shooting themselves in the foot and making competing services look more attractive. But I don't think that they are being quite that draconian or militaristic about it.

But what they have to balance having a timeout against is the situation where signal is disrupted, such as a hurricane that knocks power out for a time. They will already have a spike of calls that involve misaligned dishes, and the last thing they need is to have that compounded with calls regarding reauthorizing service for signal that was interrupted but the individual system came through unscathed.

So its a delicate balance. Something like Hurricane Sandy might motivate them to extend the timeout. They also may do this surgically. For instance, if you live in tornado alley or on the gulf coast or wherever service interruption for a few days might be more prevalent than say New Mexico, the timeout might be longer for your zipcode. Or if you live in Galveston Texas and the storm of the century is looming, they might temporarily extend the timeout there.

That technology exists; we just don't know how closely they are managing it.

But there is also a bit of a trick. If you reboot a (or plug in a moved) DVR that has no connection, it will search for signal forever. You may have to press "Exit" a time or two to get to the recorded programs list. Those not understanding that particular move might be those contributing to the "few hours" scenario. I once had a DVR fail but just in its ability to see the sats, and I got four days of playback before I had watched what I wanted and sent it back. Probably could have lasted longer.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...