Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What does No ATSC mean?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   talktalktalk

talktalktalk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:01 AM

What does it exactly mean pertaining to the Thr22?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:16 AM

It does'nt have a built in OTA tuner.

Ultimate plus movie channels

One Genie

Two HR21P

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:44 AM

But you can add an AM-21 I believe.  Which you can order from your on-line acct at Directv, they are $50 well worth it if you use OTA, and usually arrive in about 2 days.

#4 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:48 AM

Will the AM21 work with the new TiVo (in another thread, the TS related this question to getting a new TiVo).

#5 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,413 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

The AM21 should work with the new TiVo. If I remember correctly, the new TiVo is actually an HR22 unit, with the TiVo software incorporated into it. 

If that is not assessment is not accurate, I'm sure someone else will provide more info.  

Steve

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,522 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

Not only is the AM21 compatible with the THR22, but it will scan for OTA channels; a software feature not shared by any other HR2x model.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 696 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

Not only is the AM21 compatible with the THR22, but it will scan for OTA channels; a software feature not shared by any other HR2x model.

Harsh is spot on, I have had an AM21 on my THR22 forever, and enjoy the scanning as I can pick up three markets where I live.

The blue power light on the AM21 does not shut-off when in standby, similar to the HR34, otherwise everything works fine.

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#8 OFFLINE   talktalktalk

talktalktalk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

It does'nt have a built in OTA tuner.

So, does my friend's old Hr-10 have ATSC? We don't see any AM-21 attached to it, but there are two (2) dishes on the roof.

There is one oval with 3 Lnb's and one old round dish with one of those antennas attached. Can anyone break down what is actually going on on the roof? Thanks

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,149 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

. Can anyone break down what is actually going on on the roof? Thanks

It depends on your location and how isolated you are from the transmitting towers.  Folks in NYC can get easily get by with "rabbit ears" while folks in the suburbs we'll need a Yogi style antenna.  Check out these websites more info

www.antennaweb.org

www.tvfool.com

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 696 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

It depends on your location and how isolated you are from the transmitting towers.  Folks in NYC can get easily get by with "rabbit ears" while folks in the suburbs we'll need a Yogi style antenna.  Check out these websites more info

www.antennaweb.org

www.tvfool.com

..........in addition, your friend's old HR10-250 does have built in OTA, two tuners in fact.  Whether or not he has anything connected to that coax input is another story, but the option is there.

#11 OFFLINE   talktalktalk

talktalktalk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:10 AM

We're in Los angeles. So, I know the hr-10 is actually getting the locals. But I thought that's what the am-21 was for.

Is Dtv supplying the local channels? (nbc,cbs,abc etc) or is it possibly coming in from the smaller round dish with the antenna attached?

#12 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 696 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

You get locals in SD, but any HD locals will have a "-1" suffix after the respective local channel number and can only be obtained from an external antenna connected to the HR10 at your location.  DirecTV does not supply them to your HR10 (if it's anything like my local channels where my DMA is).

The AM-21 is not compatible with the HR10-250, only the HR2x series receivers, in which the latter is able to pick up HD Locals on their own without the use of an OTA antenna.

Hope this helps.

#13 OFFLINE   talktalktalk

talktalktalk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:29 PM

You get locals in SD, but any HD locals will have a "-1" suffix after the respective local channel number and can only be obtained from an external antenna connected to the HR10 at your location.  DirecTV does not supply them to your HR10 (if it's anything like my local channels where my DMA is).

The AM-21 is not compatible with the HR10-250, only the HR2x series receivers, in which the latter is able to pick up HD Locals on their own without the use of an OTA antenna.

Hope this helps.

He has all of his coaxial connections on the back of his HR-10 hooked up. Could the round dish with the antenna on it be where the lines are going to?

BTW is this one of the mpeg-2 tivo's?

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,149 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

BTW is this one of the mpeg-2 tivo's?

Yes, the HR10 is indeed an MPEG 2 DVR

Edited by peds48, 06 May 2013 - 08:57 PM.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 696 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

He has all of his coaxial connections on the back of his HR-10 hooked up. Could the round dish with the antenna on it be where the lines are going to?.....................

It definitely may or may not be.  I have not seen his setup.  :)

#16 OFFLINE   talktalktalk

talktalktalk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

So, the installer came out a couple of weeks ago and put the genie and client downstairs but left the tivo untouched but we lost all of the -1 HD local channels. Can anyone tell me why this has happened?

I know he said it was not compatible with the new system, but why couldn't he have just left the coax from the antenna connected so I could keep those channels? BTW after his installation upgrade he left behind the original switches and splitters. I even see one of the disconnected coax cables in the junction box.

#17 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 843 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

This is the HR10? If you have a Genie, you would have been changed to a SWM system, but if you are keeping the HR10 it would need the SWM8 module and not the dish with the built-in SWM. The module has "Legacy" outputs for the HR10. But it sounds as if the installer disconnected your antenna, which was unfortunate. You can try calling them back to fix it.

Steve

My Setup

spam firewall