Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

SEC Network

• Please log in to reply
1275 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

Sigh... with the way things are going lately with Directv and Sports Nets...  yet another compelling sports property that we probably won't get on Directv.  

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

I believe a deal will be done before the network launches in August, 2014.  This will be far more like the Big 10 network, and nothing like the PAC 12 or Longhorn network.  There is far more programming than what the Longhorn network has to offer, and it is one national channel, unlike the PAC12's one national plus 6 regional channels.  Plus, the SEC is much more competitive than the PAC 12.  AT&T U-Verse has already made a deal.  I do not think DirecTV will be far behind.

• golfnut-n-nh likes this

#3 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

Also depends on what the SEC/ESPN ask for. If it matches the content and is fair, we will see it quickly. If they expect to milk things a la the PAC 12 or almost any Comcast package, probably not.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#4 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

This will get messy in the South if some companies hold out. The amount that the SEC Network will want is probably massive and record breaking

#5 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

A

This will get messy in the South if some companies hold out. The amount that the SEC Network will want is probably massive and record breaking

Agreed.  I already know people here in Austin that patently reject Directv due to lack of LHN and Pac12.  With A&M in the SEC now, Directv runs the risksof jeopardizing the entire state of Texas should they choose not to carry SEC network (To recap - LHN, nope.  CSN Houston, nope.  SEC ??) And I imagine that'll be the case in many southern states. 45 football games is a lot of content.    

#6 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

A

Agreed.  I already know people here in Austin that patently reject Directv due to lack of LHN and Pac12.  With A&M in the SEC now, Directv runs the risksof jeopardizing the entire state of Texas should they choose not to carry SEC network (To recap - LHN, nope.  CSN Houston, nope.  SEC ??) And I imagine that'll be the case in many southern states. 45 football games is a lot of content.    

Will even Google fiber pick up those networks as well?

Both LHN and CSN are only on a few area systems.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#7 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:45 PM

Will even Google fiber pick up those networks as well?

Both LHN and CSN are only on a few area systems.

I've heard anecdotally around town that Google Fiber will pick up LHN.  Doubtful that they'll pick up CSN Houston since Austin isn't really in the Houston DMA.  But it's not really an Apples to Apples comparison - GF will only serve the City of Austin (not even the metro area) whereas D* provides the same signal and lineup of channels across the state. So it's of much more importance that Directv carry CSN and SEC than it is for GF.

Edited by tulanejosh, 02 May 2013 - 07:45 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:09 AM

If DTV doesn't have the SEC Network I will be leaving them in a heartbeat. The best college football in the country and my favorite team is Kentucky of whom I do not and will not miss a basketball game. I haven't seen anything yet how it will be provided for over the Internet. I assume it will similar to how the ESPN channels are now. Your cable or satellite provider has to have an agreement with them before you can view the games on ESPNWatch.  

#9 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

A

The only people that care about theLHN are UT fans; one team. I expect that The SEC network will be carried by Directv. The value is that it covers THE BEST FOOTBALL TEAMS AND SCHOOLS in the nation. When talk of NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS, the SEC is always in the mix. In fact, you could say, the SEC football schedule has been the BCS football playoff for the last several years.

As far as subscriber costs, I would pay for the SEC Network, but would never pay for the LHN nor CSN- Houston, and I live in Houston, Texas. I see very little value in either of those networks.

Just my opinion.

Root for the team (or school) of your choice; they all have great fans and fan base.

#10 OFFLINE   RandyOH

RandyOH

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:16 AM

I think this will be closer to Time Warner Cable Sports than the Pac 12 Network.  DirecTV knew that a sizable amount of people would leave if they didn't have TWCSN, and I think the SEC is strong enough for DirecTV to see that people will leave over it.

#11 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

Please give me the choice to not pay for it, I don't need it.

#12 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

The only people that care about theLHN are UT fans; one team. I expect that The SEC network will be carried by Directv. The value is that it covers THE BEST FOOTBALL TEAMS AND SCHOOLS in the nation. When talk of NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS, the SEC is always in the mix. In fact, you could say, the SEC football schedule has been the BCS football playoff for the last several years.

As far as subscriber costs, I would pay for the SEC Network, but would never pay for the LHN nor CSN- Houston, and I live in Houston, Texas. I see very little value in either of those networks.

Just my opinion.

Root for the team (or school) of your choice; they all have great fans and fan base.

Agree with you on the LHN comment.  My comments were almost entirely limited to the impact a decision to not carry SEC would have on D* ability to continue to generate new / retain existing subscribers within the boundaries of Texas. No LHN (with the huge UT football interest here), no CSN Houston (no rockets, no Astros, no Dynamo) and no SEC (no Texas A&M) - would be a huge slap in the face to a state with... ya know... a lot of people and it would absolutlely impact their ability to do business here. 

#13 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:53 AM

I think this will be closer to Time Warner Cable Sports than the Pac 12 Network.  DirecTV knew that a sizable amount of people would leave if they didn't have TWCSN, and I think the SEC is strong enough for DirecTV to see that people will leave over it.

Hopefully this is the case.  Though it does make you you wonder - if it would have been easier to get a carriage deal if they had followed the BTN model (national network, sub feeds turned on when lives games require it) why didn't Pac 12 just follow that model.

#14 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

The fact that DirecTV will sign on for the SEC Network and not the PAC 12 Network will be the last straw for me. If that happens, I will no longer be with DirecTV.

There is NO EXCUSE NOT TO HAVE THE PAC 12 NETWORK WHEN DISH NETWORK ALSO HAS IT!!!!!
  • ejbvt likes this

#15 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,965 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

The fact that DirecTV will sign on for the SEC Network and not the PAC 12 Network will be the last straw for me. If that happens, I will no longer be with DirecTV.

There is NO EXCUSE NOT TO HAVE THE PAC 12 NETWORK WHEN DISH NETWORK ALSO HAS IT!!!!!

By that line of thinking there's no excuse why Dish doesn't have ST or EI? Where will you switch to since you're adamant about wanting every EI game feed televised to watch on your 15 receivers?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#16 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

By that line of thinking there's no excuse why Dish doesn't have ST or EI? Where will you switch to since you're adamant about wanting every EI game feed televised to watch on your 15 receivers?

And if they do add Pac 12, the extra feeds of RSNs DirecTV doesn't carry will be even rarer with Pac 12's regional channels taking up the part time feeds on many nights. (Unless Pac 12 agrees to HD only distribution for their extra feeds)

#17 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

Ekysnyt must live in the greatest sports bar, ever! :smoking:

• sigma1914 likes this

#18 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

Bravo, sir. Bravo. Haha. :)

He's all talk. We all realize it.
Go Big Red!!!

#19 OFFLINE   bearmur

bearmur

Godfather

• Registered
  • 358 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

If SEC network is not on Directv then dishes will go down all over the south. They need to make a deal that includes Internet & cell phone too.

Equipment:HR20-700, H24-100,H24-100,H21-200,HR20-700,SWIM Dish

#20 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 623 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

They need to make a deal that includes Internet & cell phone too.

YEAH! And beer and pizza!!
  • sigma1914, lwilli201 and FriscoJohnny like this
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...