Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

SEC Network

• Please log in to reply
1278 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

I come to DBSTalk to get the backstory and this thread is a great example.

We are moving soon and will be in the new place by the end of July.  We are already paying quite a bit for Directv but that is based solely on sports programming.  If they don't provide compelling reasons to stay like carrying SEC then we will have to shift to more reliable and affordable providers.  

Will already be paying Comcast for internet at the new place and could save about $80 per month for the same programming we are getting now minus NFLST.  Will likely jump-ship to Xfinity if they make the deal and Direct doesn't.

SEC + NFLST = keeping us as a customer.  This has become a deal breaker...

/r

Allen

If you switch to get the first you will lose the second. Your choice.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#302 OFFLINE   rmc_ss

rmc_ss

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

If you switch to get the first you will lose the second. Your choice.

Well aware, but much prefer to watch SEC year-round not just football in the fall.  NFLST (the NFL in general really) has lost its lustre and Direct is making less of a case for a monthly tribute with every passing day.

Will see how this plays out.  I don't think this will be Direct's Waterloo but they have to stay competitive...

/r

Allen

#303 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

And without SEC Network, in the South at least, they are simply not competitive for sports fans.  My own call has been to suspend my DirecTV account as I am moving in two weeks and cannot make any kind of commitment to a company that will not commit to the programming that I want.  That gives them 180 days to get their act together and me 180 days to see if Time Warner's video has improved as much as I think it has. 

Everyone has to make their own choices, of course, but I just keep coming back to the fact that it's not realistic to sign up with a company that doesn't have what you want to watch when others do.

#304 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,556 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:35 PM

That gives them 180 days to get their act together and me 180 days to see if Time Warner's video has improved as much as I think it has.

Go read post 300, Time Warner Cable isn't on the list of providers for the SEC Network either. Of the major providers only Dish, U-Verse, Google Fiber and members of the NRTC co-op are on board since they renewed their contract with Disney/ESPN after the network was announced, EVERYONE else (DirecTV, Comcast, Charter, Suddenlink, FiOS, RCN, Time Warner/Brighthouse, Cablevision, etc) is still in talks.

Edited by KyL416, 04 July 2014 - 09:40 PM.

#305 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

Oh yes, I know that.  But there's no contract with Time Warner...and there's no way I'm re-upping with DirecTV with a new commitment for an expensive move (which mine would be) or new hardware.  TWC is just a good place to park that I can bail from at any time when the right provider finally gets its act together and puts on the college football that I...and millions of others...want.

Dish has its own issues (part time HD?  I don't think so!).  And UVerse, well, that's just sorry video, at least around here.  Hell, AT&T can't even get me a clean dial tone, how's it going to get video down that corroded copper that infests this town?  I'm just hoping Google Fiber comes to my new neighborhood.

Edited by mnassour, 04 July 2014 - 09:43 PM.

#306 OFFLINE   JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:27 PM

UVerse does have the SEC Network, and I already have their internet and home phone.  No problem for me to drop a UVerse DVR in my family room next to my Genie (or without the Genie!)  It would certainly save me money, and Sunday Ticket means very little to me. 

“The problem with quotes from the internet is that you cannot always verify the authenticity.”

---------Abraham Lincoln

#307 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 3,718 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:52 PM

Want to know what Dish is paying for SEC Network??
Scroll to the bottom... C'mon DTV...

That price has been reported months ago....I'm sure it has been posted several other times in this thread.

Price is not the reason Directv doesn't have a deal to carry SEC Network yet, it is because they only started negotiations recently. I've said before that the price being asked for SEC Network is surprisingly low, which indicates a willingness on the part of the SEC and ESPN to insure it is carried everywhere.

They aren't asking a ridiculous price like the Dodgers channel, who are reportedly asking about 4x as much for the network of a single team in a single city. What's worse it is in LA, which cares less about their teams than any major city. Hell, people in Chicago love their Cubs more than LA residents love their Dodgers, even though there's no one left alive that remembers their last World Series win :)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#308 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,556 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:06 PM

UVerse does have the SEC Network

No one has it right now, it doesn't launch until mid August, however U-Verse IS on the list of providers who have a deal to carry it:
http://www.getsecnetwork.com/#Faq

How can I get the SEC Network in time for the August 2014 launch?

Agreements are already in place with AT&T U-verse, DISH, Google Fiber, and other providers (full list below) to distribute the network.

#309 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,045 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:57 PM

That price has been reported months ago....I'm sure it has been posted several other times in this thread.

Price is not the reason Directv doesn't have a deal to carry SEC Network yet, it is because they only started negotiations recently. I've said before that the price being asked for SEC Network is surprisingly low, which indicates a willingness on the part of the SEC and ESPN to insure it is carried everywhere.

They aren't asking a ridiculous price like the Dodgers channel, who are reportedly asking about 4x as much for the network of a single team in a single city. What's worse it is in LA, which cares less about their teams than any major city. Hell, people in Chicago love their Cubs more than LA residents love their Dodgers, even though there's no one left alive that remembers their last World Series win :)

Being from Los Angeles, I have to say that's just completely wrong,. We do care a lot about our teams. The difference is that while we can have as many fans as any other team in any other city for every single team, that number of fans as a whole is a much smaller percentage of people in our city than in any other city, and we are so spread out... Heck Lakers market even covers Hawaii! Believe me, we are crazy for our teams. Several nhl players have said Los Angeles kings fans are crazier in a good way than most other traditional nhl cities. And louder. Kind of odd to think about when you consider hockey in la. Believe me we love our Dodgers, but we also don't die if we don't have them on TV. That's the problem the Dodgers don't seem to get right now.

And geeze this town goes nuts when one of our teams goes deep in the playoffs. Then all the casual fans that are more into other sports jump on in for the team that is making a big run. And since almost all playoffs in all sports is on national providers anymore, it's even less important to carry Dodgers channel now.

#310 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 3,718 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

Every city's residents think they're the most rabid fans, so they're the last people you should ask if you want to get a non-biased answer. LA can't even keep a pro football team, and you're going to argue they have the best fans?!

Where I live there are no major league sports in the whole state, but I travel often and go to games and the LA fans are pretty blasé compared to a lot of other places. I haven't attended a Kings game (I don't really like hockey so I've been dragged the few times I've been to a NHL game) but I've seen the Lakers and the Dodgers playing at home. Those fans are nothing compared to the fans from NYC, Boston, Philly, Chicago and even Cleveland. I'm a Cubs fan, but other than that I'm not a fan of any team from these cities or LA, so I think my opinion is a bit less biased than yours.

• rmc_ss likes this

#311 OFFLINE   rmc_ss

rmc_ss

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

Every city's residents think they're the most rabid fans, so they're the last people you should ask if you want to get a non-biased answer....

This is a great (general) argument against the SECN but the problem for providers that want to try and negotiate is the SEC is competitive and a huge draw nationally and not just for football.  Figure in basketball and baseball alone and the SEC teams are major players against every other conference and cover the entire calendar- no other conference can claim that.  They have built amazingly competitive programs that no other conference can match and they all want to go against them for a shot at whatever title.  The surprising part is that they, as mentioned maintain competitive programs in sports year-round.

This puts ESPN and the SECN in a great position for negotiations but providers need to understand the cash in that comes with carrying the SEC...

/r

Allen

#312 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,266 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

This is a great (general) argument against the SECN but the problem for providers that want to try and negotiate is the SEC is competitive and a huge draw nationally and not just for football.  Figure in basketball and baseball alone and the SEC teams are major players against every other conference and cover the entire calendar- no other conference can claim that.  They have built amazingly competitive programs that no other conference can match and they all want to go against them for a shot at whatever title.  The surprising part is that they, as mentioned maintain competitive programs in sports year-round.

This puts ESPN and the SECN in a great position for negotiations but providers need to understand the cash in that comes with carrying the SEC...

/r

Allen

That's great and all, but college baseball isn't that popular and SEC basketball is pretty average after Florida and Kentucky.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#313 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 3,718 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

My post you replied to was purely dealing with pro sports. I don't have a lot of experience attending SEC college games so I really can't compare those fans to fans of other college conferences. But don't even bother bringing up basketball, let alone baseball. Football out-earns the other sports by so much the rest of them may as well not even exist.

That said, don't mistake competitiveness for earning power. The B1G is still the highest earning conference, and while the SEC may edge higher in the next year or two thanks to the more recent contracts for the SECN being slightly higher than the BTN contracts, once the B1G renegotiate their contracts in a couple years they'll be way out in front money-wise - estimates are they'll be pulling down around $45 million per school in TV money in 2017. It is simple math, because there are so many large schools in the conference, and the alumni tend to disperse widely over the whole country, there is a very large built in audience despite the B1G's inability to compete for national championships lately.

Not only does success on the field not guarantee bringing in the most money, bringing in the most money doesn't guarantee success on the field, either. A number of B1G schools are pulling some of the excess cash out of the athletic department and putting it into the general fund to reduce the need for tuition increases, so it doesn't all get plowed back into the coaches salaries and facilities upgrades that help with recruiting. Whether they'd be more successful if all that money was put into paying more to get better assistant coaches, better recruiters, further upgrading the already over the top facilities most top tier schools already have...who knows.

Edited by slice1900, 05 July 2014 - 06:30 PM.

#314 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,292 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

The Shadow knows.......

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#315 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,045 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:36 PM

Every city's residents think they're the most rabid fans, so they're the last people you should ask if you want to get a non-biased answer. LA can't even keep a pro football team, and you're going to argue they have the best fans?!

Where I live there are no major league sports in the whole state, but I travel often and go to games and the LA fans are pretty blasé compared to a lot of other places. I haven't attended a Kings game (I don't really like hockey so I've been dragged the few times I've been to a NHL game) but I've seen the Lakers and the Dodgers playing at home. Those fans are nothing compared to the fans from NYC, Boston, Philly, Chicago and even Cleveland. I'm a Cubs fan, but other than that I'm not a fan of any team from these cities or LA, so I think my opinion is a bit less biased than yours.

I guessed you missed the part where I said the other teams players say that are fans are as good as anyone's... And I didn't say we where the most rabid, except maybe for some kings fans, they are a bit nutty, but we have a ton of great fans in general. Look at our attendance record for the Dodgers. ;). Much less our other teams.

And have you been to a playoff game? For regular season games we are not as loud as others half the time, and that's a lot to do with the fact we don't care nearly as much about the regular season as a market we expect our teams to make it into the playoffs, that's just expected in Los Angeles.. It's why we get people with your opinion that just don't understand the Los Angeles market. There's just so much else people also do in Los Angeles,they pay the most attention in the playoffs. Which as I have also said, is why not having the Dodgers on TV during the regular season is meaningless for a lot of people. There's plenty other to watch till latter. The fewest number do teams we have going at once is two, and usually its four and at some parts of the year, six major pro teams, eight if you count soccer. Do you think we could support that without being great fans? Not a chance. And then add in UCLA and USC....

We don't have a nfl team because our public has said we won't pay millions in tax dollars to subsidize the rich teams. Period. It has nothing to do with how much we like or dislike our teams.

And the nfl is the perfect example of how much we do love our sports, if one screwed us we find another to love, we don't bend to leagues.

I'm not saying we are better than everyone else, or that we yell louder at every single game, but we are every bit as supportive overall as any other team, and come playoff time, you can always tell who's doing well with one quick glance of a freeway. Everyone has up the teams flags on their cars...

That's not about being biased, that's just what this market does. It doesn't get overly excited for a regular season game, unless its Dodgers Yankees, or Lakers celtics, etc. people love to base our car for sports on the nfl and when we play the Milwaukee bucks, etc. that just doesn't work here like it does in other cities.

#316 OFFLINE   shyvoodoo

shyvoodoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

I guessed you missed the part where I said the other teams players say that are fans are as good as anyone's... And I didn't say we where the most rabid, except maybe for some kings fans, they are a bit nutty, but we have a ton of great fans in general. Look at our attendance record for the Dodgers. ;). Much less our other teams.

And have you been to a playoff game? For regular season games we are not as loud as others half the time, and that's a lot to do with the fact we don't care nearly as much about the regular season as a market we expect our teams to make it into the playoffs, that's just expected in Los Angeles.. It's why we get people with your opinion that just don't understand the Los Angeles market. There's just so much else people also do in Los Angeles,they pay the most attention in the playoffs. Which as I have also said, is why not having the Dodgers on TV during the regular season is meaningless for a lot of people. There's plenty other to watch till latter. The fewest number do teams we have going at once is two, and usually its four and at some parts of the year, six major pro teams, eight if you count soccer. Do you think we could support that without being great fans? Not a chance. And then add in UCLA and USC....

We don't have a nfl team because our public has said we won't pay millions in tax dollars to subsidize the rich teams. Period. It has nothing to do with how much we like or dislike our teams.

And the nfl is the perfect example of how much we do love our sports, if one screwed us we find another to love, we don't bend to leagues.

I'm not saying we are better than everyone else, or that we yell louder at every single game, but we are every bit as supportive overall as any other team, and come playoff time, you can always tell who's doing well with one quick glance of a freeway. Everyone has up the teams flags on their cars...

That's not about being biased, that's just what this market does. It doesn't get overly excited for a regular season game, unless its Dodgers Yankees, or Lakers celtics, etc. people love to base our car for sports on the nfl and when we play the Milwaukee bucks, etc. that just doesn't work here like it does in other cities.

Could not have said this any better. I am a RABID Dodgers Fan but I know when I'm being shafted....

Ben
Voodoo

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
All I Want:

Universal Sports HD.
Pac 12/SEC Networks.

#317 OFFLINE   BigJ52

BigJ52

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

Sec Network adds Cox Communications to carrier list:

http://secsports.go....rry-sec-network

#318 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,664 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

generally:

cold weather cities = good fans

warm weather cities = bad fans

#319 OFFLINE   shyvoodoo

shyvoodoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:41 PM

generally:

lololol.. pretty much.

All I Want:

Universal Sports HD.
Pac 12/SEC Networks.

#320 OFFLINE   BigJ52

BigJ52

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:51 AM

Directv recent statement on SEC Network. Not much new but here it is:

DIRECTV Statement Regarding the SEC Network

We’re in the middle of productive discussions with Disney over ESPN’s new SEC Network and hope to be able to provide it as soon as we possibly can. Both DIRECTV and Disney understand and appreciate the unique bond between SEC teams and the communities they represent, many of which lack any professional teams. We are working cooperatively to ensure that everyone can still see their favorite SEC team play at the most reasonable value to all SEC fans and the rest of our customers throughout the Southeast.

http://directvpromis...d-be-sidelined/

#321 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,266 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

generally:

It's hot in the south... football fans are pretty good.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#322 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,292 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

It's hot in the south... football fans are pretty good.

+1

And it strikes me that it's also the area paying most attention to college baseball......

#323 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

Directv recent statement on SEC Network. Not much new but here it is:

DIRECTV Statement Regarding the SEC Network
We’re in the middle of productive discussions with Disney over ESPN’s new SEC Network and hope to be able to provide it as soon as we possibly can. Both DIRECTV and Disney understand and appreciate the unique bond between SEC teams and the communities they represent, many of which lack any professional teams. We are working cooperatively to ensure that everyone can still see their favorite SEC team play at the most reasonable value to all SEC fans and the rest of our customers throughout the Southeast.

http://directvpromis...d-be-sidelined/

So what are PAC 12 fans in LA? No sense of urgency to take care of them, even though they lack "professional teams" in LA.
  • mhking likes this

#324 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,292 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

So what are PAC 12 fans in LA? 

Chopped liver! 

No sense of urgency to take care of them, even though they lack "professional teams" in LA. 

The Dodgers are a professional BB team! Clippers, Lakers, and so on....

• jagrim likes this

#325 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:32 PM

Chopped liver! 

Chopped liver! 
 Obviously

There are NHL, NFL, & NBA teams throughout the SEC footprint.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...