Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SEC Network

• Please log in to reply
551 replies to this topic

#321 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,834 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

generally:

cold weather cities = good fans

warm weather cities = bad fans

It's hot in the south... football fans are pretty good.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#322 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,575 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

It's hot in the south... football fans are pretty good.

+1

And it strikes me that it's also the area paying most attention to college baseball......

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#323 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 651 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

Directv recent statement on SEC Network. Not much new but here it is:

DIRECTV Statement Regarding the SEC Network
We’re in the middle of productive discussions with Disney over ESPN’s new SEC Network and hope to be able to provide it as soon as we possibly can. Both DIRECTV and Disney understand and appreciate the unique bond between SEC teams and the communities they represent, many of which lack any professional teams. We are working cooperatively to ensure that everyone can still see their favorite SEC team play at the most reasonable value to all SEC fans and the rest of our customers throughout the Southeast.

http://directvpromis...d-be-sidelined/

So what are PAC 12 fans in LA? No sense of urgency to take care of them, even though they lack "professional teams" in LA.
  • mhking likes this

#324 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,575 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

So what are PAC 12 fans in LA? 

Chopped liver! 

No sense of urgency to take care of them, even though they lack "professional teams" in LA. 

The Dodgers are a professional BB team! Clippers, Lakers, and so on....

• jagrim likes this
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#325 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 651 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:32 PM

Chopped liver! 

Chopped liver! 
 Obviously

There are NHL, NFL, & NBA teams throughout the SEC footprint.

#326 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

generally:

That is by far the dumbest thing Ive read today. I can only assume you are kidding.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / TiVo Roamio

#327 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,602 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:37 PM

That is by far the dumbest thing Ive read today. I can only assume you are kidding.

No its true for example....

best fans for pro sports are cities like ny bos chi philly

worst are cities like atl mia tb sd  

#328 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

So what are PAC 12 fans in LA? No sense of urgency to take care of them, even though they lack "professional teams" in LA.

They don't have a bunch of them calling up and asking like they probably do with SEC Network, because Pac 12 has been around almost a year already and all the Directv customers who care about it are aware that the negotiations with the Pac 12 have been at a standstill for months.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#329 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:41 PM

I think warm weather cities leave people with more entertainment options, so they care less about pro sports. College football is another story. That's closer to a religion in the south, they worship at their church on Sundays and at their stadium or their TV on Saturdays :)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#330 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,047 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

There are NHL, NFL, & NBA teams throughout the SEC footprint.

And at least two MBL teams (three if you accept that UK's footprint overlaps a large section of the Cincinnati Red's footprint).

#331 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

And at least two MBL teams (three if you accept that UK's footprint overlaps a large section of the Cincinnati Red's footprint).

I think you could make a case for eight MLB teams "within SEC territory" -- the Braves (obviously), the Reds (as you mentioned), both the Rays and Marlins (via the University of Florida), both the Cardinals and Royals (via Mizzou), and both the Rangers and Astros (via Texas A&M).
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#332 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:22 PM

I think warm weather cities leave people with more entertainment options, so they care less about pro sports. College football is another story. That's closer to a religion in the south, they worship at their church on Sundays and at their stadium or their TV on Saturdays :)

All I know is college football is serious around here (lower Alabama), so cowboy needs to try a little harder on his generalizations. From my time in South Carolina and Virginia, I'd say the more north you get the more you tend to be rabid about pro sports. Down here its all about college.

• fleckrj likes this
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / TiVo Roamio

#333 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,736 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

This is just not actually true.

I think to many people think that a team doesn't have great fans if every single person in the city isn't a big fan of the team, and that's just silly.  To go to the other extreme, I'll bet there are more MLS Galaxy fans in the Los Angles area than their are Packers fans in Green bay!  That must make our MLS better fans than green bay's football fans right!  

The number of fans in the entire city is not what determens the best fans.  And if it did, then actually, the Dodgers must have the best fans for baseball, we outdraw every other team the last couple years to our stadium for games.  I guess The yankess and Red sox fans aren't as good as they are claimed to be then huh?  Same with the cubs....

Just sayin, I think everywhere has just as good a fan, the difference is some areas can find substitutes easier, so its not the end of our entire world if we cant see a team.  That doesn't make anyone less of a fan, period.

• TJNash likes this

#334 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 583 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

generally:

like Dallas Cowboy fans ?

:P

#335 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,602 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

This is just not actually true.

I think to many people think that a team doesn't have great fans if every single person in the city isn't a big fan of the team, and that's just silly.  To go to the other extreme, I'll bet there are more MLS Galaxy fans in the Los Angles area than their are Packers fans in Green bay!  That must make our MLS better fans than green bay's football fans right!  

The number of fans in the entire city is not what determens the best fans.  And if it did, then actually, the Dodgers must have the best fans for baseball, we outdraw every other team the last couple years to our stadium for games.  I guess The yankess and Red sox fans aren't as good as they are claimed to be then huh?  Same with the cubs....

Just sayin, I think everywhere has just as good a fan, the difference is some areas can find substitutes easier, so its not the end of our entire world if we cant see a team.  That doesn't make anyone less of a fan, period.

LA doesnt even have a pro football team while the NY market has 2 + dodgers fans leave in the 7th inning.

The cubs suck every yr but still draw while tb struggles even when they win.

I remember chris maddog russo going crazy cause the braves couldnt even sell out a playoff game....can you see the redsox not doing that.

Again im taking generally speaking warmer vs colder cities.

Did someone change the definition of generally & i not get the memo or something.

#336 OFFLINE   jle1639

jle1639

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts
  • Locationdothan al

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:27 AM

it time for direct to get the deal done.

#337 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,266 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:45 AM

LA doesnt even have a pro football team while the NY market has 2 + dodgers fans leave in the 7th inning.

The cubs suck every yr but still draw while tb struggles even when they win.

I remember chris maddog russo going crazy cause the braves couldnt even sell out a playoff game....can you see the redsox not doing that.

Again im taking generally speaking warmer vs colder cities.

Did someone change the definition of generally & i not get the memo or something.

Yeah, cause a non sellout in the playoffs wound never happen in Boston or New York.

Or would it?

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1183750

Red Sox sell outs are overinflated because of the small size of the ballpark. Add another 10 to 13 thousand seats like Atlanta or New York and let's see if they always sellout.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#338 OFFLINE   cfkane

cfkane

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:13 AM

I think there is some truth to the statement about cold weather places having more pro-sports fans. But I think that is only because the SEC is in the south. SEC football is our, (I live in Massachusetts, but am from Alabama, so I speak as a southern native), pro sports. D* is well aware how rabid the fan base there is and probably fear that a number will jump ship without SEC Network

#339 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:39 AM

Well up until today I was pretty confident DirecTV would carry the SEC Network in time for this season.  This statement by DirecTV, however, sounds to some extent like the rhetoric they've put out about other channels they've gotten into price disputes with.  Now I'm not so confident anymore.

Sandra

#340 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:45 AM

I think there is some truth to the statement about cold weather places having more pro-sports fans. But I think that is only because the SEC is in the south. SEC football is our, (I live in Massachusetts, but am from Alabama, so I speak as a southern native), pro sports. D* is well aware how rabid the fan base there is and probably fear that a number will jump ship without SEC Network

The rabidicy of the fans will have little to do with the carriage of SEC. SEC will be carried because DirecTV wants to carry ESPN and other ABC/Disney channels. SEC sports could be the worst or best games on the planet. It does not matter. They have a parent with leverage.

It may not be up August 14th. But it will be up. ESPN will make sure that happens.
  • fleckrj likes this
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

spam firewall