Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

SEC Network

• Please log in to reply
1275 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 618 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

As SEC Network will be an ESPN channel; chances are very good that at least DirecTV will carry it, as part of the contract packaging with ESPN. Also, as some have pointed out teh SEC Network is one channel just like BTN. I suspect, when there is more than one football game scheduled simultaneously, SEC, like BTN, will also have their alternate feeds carried.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

And if they do add Pac 12, the extra feeds of RSNs DirecTV doesn't carry will be even rarer with Pac 12's regional channels taking up the part time feeds on many nights. (Unless Pac 12 agrees to HD only distribution for their extra feeds)

They agreed to do that with Dish Network, so DirecTV has the same option...they just choose to be cheap and not pay for it.  Also, Dish cannot carry Sunday Ticket, as it is exclusive to DirecTV, so your argument makes no sense there, either.  There is no way to convince me that DirecTV caters to sports fans nationally anymore.  They don't care at all about us up here in the northwest and they never will.

#23 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,547 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

They agreed to do that with Dish Network, so DirecTV has the same option...they just choose to be cheap and not pay for it.  Also, Dish cannot carry Sunday Ticket, as it is exclusive to DirecTV, so your argument makes no sense there, either.  There is no way to convince me that DirecTV caters to sports fans nationally anymore.  They don't care at all about us up here in the northwest and they never will.

The Dish deal included exclusive advertising in PAC 12 arenas and stadia. Not possible to get the same deal as Dish cause of that nasty word "exclusive."
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#24 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

I have mixed feelings of the creation of the network...  The SEC usually has at least 1 usually 2 ESPN game on ESPN 1/2/U.  Then there is a CBS game, then there is 11:00 am SEC Network that is shown OTA on the locals.  I think the network will allow another game or two which will likely be the 4th/5th best game from the SEC.  I'm expecting to see a lot of South Carolina, Tenn, Florida, Kentucky , while ESPN1/2/U and CBS will carry Alabama, Texas A&M, and Georgia most weeks.  I wonder how much my bill will go up, and will it be like a RSN or will it be something in the sports pack.

my setup here

#25 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

I don't think a single new channel should be picked up for sports unless its on the sports tier or something else of that nature   that includes the sec network  pac 12, any csn rsn, etc, the new dodgers channel, all of them.  Its beyond out of control and they need to say screw it, lose the customers, there wont be that many, because there wont be,  and force the channels to make half what they where expecting till they come to the realization they need to drop their prices and get more realistic.  This is going to all come crashing down someday, just like the housing market and car markets did.  These channels are starting with the idea they will get max dollars from every player.  if anyone has only half the players  they will lose money till they give in or fold, but it will take a few years for that to happen. The exception is markets like philly where they own the market anyway

• FenixTX likes this

#26 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

I agree. I'm a huge sports fan. I follow the Texas Rangers and Nebraska Cornhuskers religiously and I believe any channel devoted to any of those teams should be in a sports pack. If I want to see their games I should have to pay for them. No one that doesn't watch should have to pay.
Go Big Red!!!

#27 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

I have mixed feelings of the creation of the network...  The SEC usually has at least 1 usually 2 ESPN game on ESPN 1/2/U.  Then there is a CBS game, then there is 11:00 am SEC Network that is shown OTA on the locals.  I think the network will allow another game or two which will likely be the 4th/5th best game from the SEC.  I'm expecting to see a lot of South Carolina, Tenn, Florida, Kentucky , while ESPN1/2/U and CBS will carry Alabama, Texas A&M, and Georgia most weeks.  I wonder how much my bill will go up, and will it be like a RSN or will it be something in the sports pack.

We will have to see how this plays out, but my expectation is that the new SEC Newtork will take the place of the old SEC Network that was shown OTA on the locals. As it was, every Kentucky football and men's basketball game (including the non-conference games) was broadcast somewhere, so I do not think that will change.  What will change is that those who do not live in SEC territories will get the opportunity to see more SEC games and more of the sports other than football and basketball.

• Carol4rusty likes this

#28 ONLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

There is also a rumor of an ACC Network coming.

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#29 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,739 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:39 AM

With all these new RSN's coming along you would think these teams would embrace todays technology and allow for their games to be purchased and streamed over the internet, then their fans wouldn't have to worry about whether or not their provider carries the channel.

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 07 May 2013 - 06:40 AM.

• hallrk likes this

#30 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:52 AM

There is also a rumor of an ACC Network coming.

With Louisville, Notre Dame, and Syracuse joining the ACC, I think an ACC network would be viable. Notre Dame and Syracuse, especially, have large national following, and Louisville, Boston College, and Miami have more national appeal than the original ACC schools do.  While ACC football is a joke, they are strong in basketball, baseball, soccer, and lacross.

#31 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:45 PM

With Louisville, Notre Dame, and Syracuse joining the ACC, I think an ACC network would be viable. Notre Dame and Syracuse, especially, have large national following, and Louisville, Boston College, and Miami have more national appeal than the original ACC schools do.  While ACC football is a joke, they are strong in basketball, baseball, soccer, and lacross.

NBC renews Notre Dame deal through 2025

http://www.csnchicag...al-through-2025

also I think CSN chicago shows ND games from time to time

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#32 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:21 AM

NBC renews Notre Dame deal through 2025

http://www.csnchicag...al-through-2025

also I think CSN chicago shows ND games from time to time

That deal is only for football.  The television rights for all other Notre Dame sports will be held by the ACC.  If an ACC sports network comes along, it will not be based on the strength of ACC football with or without Notre Dame.  It will be basketball, baseball, soccer, lacross, swimming, tennis, golf, and gymnastics that will have to carry the network.

#33 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:51 AM

Here is confirmation that the new SEC Network will replace the old SEC Network games that were shown OTA locally in SEC territories.  Also, the Big Blue Sports Network that had carried the Kentucky games that were not shown nationally or on the old SEC Network will be no more.  With the addition of the ESPN SEC Network, all Kentucky games will be broadcast on one of the ESPN channels (including the SEC Network).

As far as distribution:

Justin Connolly, who will run the SEC Network, said in Atlanta that in the 11 states that have SEC schools, ESPN will seek the same distribution for the new network that ESPN and ESPN2 now enjoy. In the rest of the nation, Connolly said ESPN hoped to have the SEC Network distributed in the same bundle that ESPNU is.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky....l#storylink=cpy

/

That makes it sound like ESPN is trying to negotiate a deal where the SEC Network will be included in the base package for residents in Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas, and in the sports pack for everyone else.  I can live with that.  I think DirecTV can, too.

#34 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

That deal is only for football.  The television rights for all other Notre Dame sports will be held by the ACC.  If an ACC sports network comes along, it will not be based on the strength of ACC football with or without Notre Dame.  It will be basketball, baseball, soccer, lacross, swimming, tennis, golf, and gymnastics that will have to carry the network.

Football may not "carry" the network, but those games will still certainly have value within the ACC footprint.

#35 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,547 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

Actually, the rights to football games that ND plays at ACC sites (and there are contractually a few every year) will be held by the ACC. The NBC deal is only ND home games.

However, I doubt that the ACC Channel would be the home of ANY of the ND games. The ACC would use ND as leverage to get those games on real networks like ABC, ESPN et al.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#36 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,547 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

Big reason why I think DirecTV will have the SEC Network. ESPN understands how cable/satellite works. The PAC 12 does not; nor does the owner of the Houston Astros.

• scoop8 likes this

#37 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:00 PM

The Dish deal included exclusive advertising in PAC 12 arenas and stadia. Not possible to get the same deal as Dish cause of that nasty word "exclusive."

So why didn't "the sports leader" get this deal before Dish did?

• ejbvt likes this

#38 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

I believe the initial idea was to have the conference segmented and having a channel per area:
Pac-12 Washington
Pac-12 Oregon
Pac-12 Northern California
Pac-12 Southern California
Pac-12 Arizona
Pac-12 Mountain
D* would only want to offer HD channels and to offer that many different channels in HD wasn't viable for the bandwidth it would require.

That and they didn't have the funds ready to purchase the rights to many games, though they wanted a pretty large sum in the negotiations.  I think Pac12 would have done better if they waited and year and put everything together.  The whole ordeal was pretty rushed.

• scoop8 likes this
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#39 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,547 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

So why didn't "the sports leader" get this deal before Dish did?

Because they don't do those kind of deals? Why does being the sports leader mean you have to do every deal known to man if it dies not make sense.

At the time Dish made the deal, they were not dealing from strength. They were on the outs with BTN and turned to the PAC 12 as a replacement. Without both, they were in trouble. They eventually worked out BTN but they were not sure of that when they made the PAC 12 deal. They needed the PAC 12 more and probably did not get the best deal.

But, if course, you think directv should just roll over rather than make a deal that makes sense to them.
  • scoop8 likes this

#40 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:28 AM

I believe the initial idea was to have the conference segmented and having a channel per area:
Pac-12 Washington
Pac-12 Oregon
Pac-12 Northern California
Pac-12 Southern California
Pac-12 Arizona
Pac-12 Mountain
D* would only want to offer HD channels and to offer that many different channels in HD wasn't viable for the bandwidth it would require.

That and they didn't have the funds ready to purchase the rights to many games, though they wanted a pretty large sum in the negotiations.  I think Pac12 would have done better if they waited and year and put everything together.  The whole ordeal was pretty rushed.

DISH only has the main + game only alts and I think At120+ in market and sports pack out of it (same as BTN) but on directv BTN is choice for all.

pac12 likey wanted basic for all and as for game only (dish has lot's of RSN that are game only HD) will they want at least more then main as full time? with some feeds setup as game only sub feeds?

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...