Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

SEC Network

• Please log in to reply
1278 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

I have mixed feelings of the creation of the network...  The SEC usually has at least 1 usually 2 ESPN game on ESPN 1/2/U.  Then there is a CBS game, then there is 11:00 am SEC Network that is shown OTA on the locals.  I think the network will allow another game or two which will likely be the 4th/5th best game from the SEC.  I'm expecting to see a lot of South Carolina, Tenn, Florida, Kentucky , while ESPN1/2/U and CBS will carry Alabama, Texas A&M, and Georgia most weeks.  I wonder how much my bill will go up, and will it be like a RSN or will it be something in the sports pack.

Here is confirmation that the new SEC Network will replace the old SEC Network games that were shown OTA locally in SEC territories.  Also, the Big Blue Sports Network that had carried the Kentucky games that were not shown nationally or on the old SEC Network will be no more.  With the addition of the ESPN SEC Network, all Kentucky games will be broadcast on one of the ESPN channels (including the SEC Network).

Here's how the B1G Football TV contract generally works.  Each B1G team will have two games on BTN, one of which will be a conference game.  Pick order for games is ABC, ESPN/2, BTN (with the rare ESPNU option).  However, some number of weeks BTN has picks over ESPN/2/U.  The point of all of this is so that every B1G home game is nationally televised.

I expect this SEC Network to work the same way since it's a winning formula ($$$).  Just substitute CBS for ABC, SECN for BTN, and add in regular use of ESPNU.  Gone will be the regional televised games on local broadcasts, games on RSNs, and games on PPV so that every SEC home game is nationally televised.

Additionally, this will cripple the already weak ESPN GamePlan.  I'd expect to see this package either fold or DRASTICALLY reduce its price due to lack of compelling content (ACC, AAC, & mid-majors), especially if the ACC manages to put together their own network.

Edited by terryfoster, 09 May 2013 - 07:42 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

...the new SEC Network will replace the old SEC Network games that were shown OTA locally in SEC territories.

And outside SEC territories as well -- for example, independent station KDOC in Los Angeles carries the SEC Network football games.

trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#43 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

Here's how the B1G Football TV contract generally works.  Each B1G team will have two games on BTN, one of which will be a conference game.  Pick order for games is ABC, ESPN/2, BTN (with the rare ESPNU option).  However, some number of weeks BTN has picks over ESPN/2/U.  The point of all of this is so that every B1G home game is nationally televised.

I expect this SEC Network to work the same way since it's a winning formula ($$$).  Just substitute CBS for ABC, SECN for BTN, and add in regular use of ESPNU.  Gone will be the regional televised games on local broadcasts, games on RSNs, and games on PPV so that every SEC home game is nationally televised.

Additionally, this will cripple the already weak ESPN GamePlan.  I'd expect to see this package either fold or DRASTICALLY reduce its price due to lack of compelling content (ACC, AAC, & mid-majors), especially if the ACC manages to put together their own network.

The problem with this setup, maybe minor to some, is that the networks can wait as few as 6 days before deciding what game they are going to show, and at what time they are going to show it.  Fans get the short end again!  I"m less apt to buy season tickets to my team if besides having to drive 1.5 hours to get to the game but having to do the same dive home, throw in a 7pm start time (West Coast) and I don't get home until 1 am?  Sorry Fans need to start voting with their money and not buying tickets, or paying too much (like DirecTV) for a product that shouldn't cost that much.... argh...rant rant rant...

#44 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

You are lucky that games start at 7:00.  Many SEC games do not start until 9:00 EST.

#45 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

You are lucky that games start at 7:00.  Many SEC games do not start until 9:00 EST.

What SEC games start at 9pm EST?  I didn't think the East Coast started a game after 5pm EST?

#46 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

What SEC games start at 9pm EST?  I didn't think the East Coast started a game after 5pm EST?

Ha! 6, 7, 8 and 9 are standard starting times in the East for college football. The daytime times are Noon and 3:30ish. (Some are in Central Time, so it is slightly earlier but still 9 ET games are normal for the East Coast.)

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#47 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

From last season, there were 3 SEC games after 9 PM, there were others at 8:30, and several at 7 and 7:45:

Texas at Ole Miss espn_hd.jpg Saturday 9/15 9:15 PM

Ole Miss at Alabama espn_hd.jpg Saturday 9/29 9;15 PM
 Tennessee at Mississippi St. espn2_hd.jpg Saturday 10/13 9:00 P

Edited by tjguitar, 09 May 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#48 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 156 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

Ha! 6, 7, 8 and 9 are standard starting times in the East for college football. The daytime times are Noon and 3:30ish. (Some are in Central Time, so it is slightly earlier but still 9 ET games are normal for the East Coast.)

Those of us on the West Coast are super spoiled.  It is rare that the "late" game starts past 7:30 or 8:00 Pacific time.  The occasional college hoops game might start at 9.

#49 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

Those of us on the West Coast are super spoiled.  It is rare that the "late" game starts past 7:30 or 8:00 Pacific time.  The occasional college hoops game might start at 9.

Well, the retired are spoiled anyway. ;) With east coast games often starting at 4 pm local time during the week in most sports, it's pretty easy to miss the beginning of games.

#50 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

ESPN game plan / full court needs to go HD or let cable / sat systems sub in remap RSN / wild HD feeds.

Edited by JoeTheDragon, 09 May 2013 - 05:39 PM.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#51 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

I don't think a single new channel should be picked up for sports unless its on the sports tier or something else of that nature   that includes the sec network  pac 12, any csn rsn, etc, the new dodgers channel, all of them.  Its beyond out of control and they need to say screw it, lose the customers, there wont be that many, because there wont be,  and force the channels to make half what they where expecting till they come to the realization they need to drop their prices and get more realistic.  This is going to all come crashing down someday, just like the housing market and car markets did.  These channels are starting with the idea they will get max dollars from every player.  if anyone has only half the players  they will lose money till they give in or fold, but it will take a few years for that to happen. The exception is markets like philly where they own the market anyway

they needs to be a mini sports pack of a few levels of them.

1 maybe one for in market RSN's / btn, pac12, ect networks or part of base pack.

1A 1 team only RSN's / take from the old Sports PPV ideas (some teams had local in market games as PPV)

2 outer ring RSN's with not the need to buy the full sports pack.

3. the non RSN's sports channels (some what cut down do to the Fox Soccer changes) Maybe a soccer / International sports pack?

4 btn, pac12, ect networks? + Fox College Sports??

5. outer maket RSN's + Fox College Sports or combo pack with 4.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#52 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

they needs to be a mini sports pack of a few levels of them.

1 maybe one for in market RSN's / btn, pac12, ect networks or part of base pack.

1A 1 team only RSN's / take from the old Sports PPV ideas (some teams had local in market games as PPV)

2 outer ring RSN's with not the need to buy the full sports pack.

3. the non RSN's sports channels (some what cut down do to the Fox Soccer changes) Maybe a soccer / International sports pack?

4 btn, pac12, ect networks? + Fox College Sports??

5. outer maket RSN's + Fox College Sports or combo pack with 4.

I am sure a plan like that would end up costing more to get Universal Sports, the SEC network, the Big 10 network, ESPNU, BeIn, and NBC Sports Network than the $12.99 per month I am paying now.  As long as they had adequate discounts for those who want multiples of your packs, I guess it could work.

#53 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

I actually like the late night games. I watch them and fall asleep. Also, they give me something to watch when I get home from games. That includes baseball, too.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#54 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

From last season, there were 3 SEC games after 9 PM, there were others at 8:30, and several at 7 and 7:45:

Texas at Ole Miss espn_hd.jpg Saturday 9/15 9:15 PM

Ole Miss at Alabama espn_hd.jpg Saturday 9/29 9;15 PM
 Tennessee at Mississippi St. espn2_hd.jpg Saturday 10/13 9:00 P

I stand corrected.   maybe because it's only 6pm on the west coast....

#55 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:37 AM

There is also a rumor of an ACC Network coming.

i can not see a single war that the ACC could even remotely pull off their own successful channel

#56 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:09 AM

i can not see a single war that the ACC could even remotely pull off their own successful channel

I would agree that the original ACC schools could not do so, but with the addition of Boston College, Miami, Syracuse, Louisville, and Notre Dame, a single channel ACC network (along the lines of the Big 10 and SEC networks) makes a lot more sense than the PAC 12 or the Longhorn networks do. 

As I said before, ACC football might be a joke, but they are strong enough in basketball, soccer, lacross, baseball, golf, and tennis to attract viewers outside of their regional footprint.  Even though, with a few exceptions, the football is not very good, football games will still attract a lot of viewers within some very big television markets.

#57 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

The ACC could support a channel but they could not support one at the price that BTN, the SEC Channel or even PAC 12 would command. They have a sort of channel today in their syndication deal, so the interest is there at least in the eastern portion of the country. They would be more successful than the Mountain West was (who, ironically started all this conference channel stuff only to fail eventually). They would NOT own home Notre Dame football but they would own the ND road games at ACC sites (although I would expect them to be on ESPN/ABC rather than an ACC channel).

They would have enough inventory to support the channel as most of their schools have a lot of depth in sports. If they did not try to milk big money outside their footprint, they would be fine. They need to remember (as Maryland realized) that exposure is as important as money and right now too many of their games are regional only or (gasp) ESPN3 only.

Edited by tonyd79, 17 May 2013 - 07:43 AM.

#58 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

I agree, and you can bet that Notre Dame, Louisville, and Syracuse, who received a lot of national coverage as members of the Big East, are going to demand that the ACC improve their coverage.  I do not believe that these schools would have agreed to join the ACC if there were not plans in place to ensure that all of their games would be broadcast.

The ACC has to wake up and understand that there is more to the ACC now than just Duke, UNC, NC State, and Wake Forest.  Maryland had issues with the ACC going back to when Lefty was the basketball coach, because the league always catered to the four North Carolina schools.  Now with the expansion and the replacement of Maryland with Louisville, there are more former Big East schools in the ACC than there are original ACC schools.  The four NC schools will no longer have the clout they once had.  I cannot wait to see Coach K and Ole Roy be forced to play in Louisville and South Bend.  South Bend is even in a different time zone :eek2:   I do not think Duke or UNC fans will know how to react.. !rolling

#59 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

An ACC Network should increase TV coverage of baseball and softball.

#60 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 679 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:02 PM

I agree, and you can bet that Notre Dame, Louisville, and Syracuse, who received a lot of national coverage as members of the Big East, are going to demand that the ACC improve their coverage.  I do not believe that these schools would have agreed to join the ACC if there were not plans in place to ensure that all of their games would be broadcast.

The ACC has to wake up and understand that there is more to the ACC now than just Duke, UNC, NC State, and Wake Forest.  Maryland had issues with the ACC going back to when Lefty was the basketball coach, because the league always catered to the four North Carolina schools.  Now with the expansion and the replacement of Maryland with Louisville, there are more former Big East schools in the ACC than there are original ACC schools.  The four NC schools will no longer have the clout they once had.  I cannot wait to see Coach K and Ole Roy be forced to play in Louisville and South Bend.  South Bend is even in a different time zone :eek2:   I do not think Duke or UNC fans will know how to react.. !rolling

So, Maryland thinks the BigTen is a better place? Their contribution will be that BigTen alumni in the DC area do not have to travel far far to see games against Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, Indiana and Rutgers who will be in the same football division with Maryland. And Rutgers, is a similar set up for the New York metropolitan area.  Though, this arrangement also brings BigTen basketball to these markets.

As fro Notre Dame, they will not be playing football in the ACC, but already dropped some of their rivals to meet a 5 football game commitment to the  ACC. They are in the ACC and not in the ACC, so they can keep their contract with NBC t o 2025. Though, trading Notre Dame fro Maryland, in basketball, is a gain here.

The enlarging of conferences is not over. Do not be surprised that we end up with four 16 - 20 team conferences (ACC, SEC, BigTen, Pac 16 - 20). This is the most of what was called Division1A. Though, this may just stop at four 16 team conferences. I am waiting fro the SEC to "invite" Texas and Oklahoma, doing so will kill the Big 12. The ACC going after Connecticut at least, if the BigTen does not get it first. The BigTen could eye Kansas and U Conn; that will add to their basketball resume and effectively add a foothold in New England and Kansas City. The Pac 12, BYU, Bosie State to get to 14, the question is where they go for two more schools though it is doubtful they would expand east of the Mountain Time Zone. Though prospects like San Diego State, UNLV, Colorado State or Air Force could be in part of the mix. The intriguing part of 4 16 team conferences, you have a built in playoff not only for football, but basketball, as well

Thus, these conference networks, may end up being solid regional college networks, augmented by ESPN Networks and FOX College Sport Networks. 

The bottom line, this is to make money and lots of it. To split off 64 to 80 schools into an elite level would send dollars rolling into these conferences and the networks that broadcast them. Those who make moved now (Rutgers, Maryland) will not be left out like Baylor, Texas Tech, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, TCU, et. al. will be. It is unfortunate, but that is really where things seems to be be headed.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...