Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

SEC Network

• Please log in to reply
1278 replies to this topic

#821 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,234 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:26 PM

Reliable source or wild ass guess? If the guesser is correct he's a hero. If he's wrong then some excuse will be offered. :)

Translation:

We do not allow you to post a certain competitors info with a link

Actual translation: Those that know cannot say - those that speak do not know.

Mr White said that he is optimistic. He would be one of those "in the know" and yet he and others "in the know" are not saying. Perhaps others should follow his example?
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#822 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,288 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

If I knew, I would not say. Since I don't, I won't now either. Almost following JL's suggestion! 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#823 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

If a link from Satelliteguys is posted, will you leave it up?

• iceturkee likes this

#824 OFFLINE   evotz

evotz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:10 PM

Announcing something prematurely compromises their negotiating position, so they have to make sure everything is in place if they're going to say "we'll have SEC Network at launch". Consider what happens if they announced it before the deal was signed...Disney would have them over a barrel, and could say "we're going to charge you an extra dollar a month if you want it now" because Directv couldn't afford to go back on their word after promising people they'd have it at launch.

I guess I was referring to that IF DirecTV already has an agreement in place with the SEC Network, then why not announce it and work on the other stuff in the background.  If there's not an actual agreement in place, then no, they definitely shouldn't announce it as an agreement when no agreement exists.

If the SEC Network agreement is being tied to the overall Disney/ESPN/ABC negotiations with DirecTV, then I suppose this applies to the above and DirecTV really can't announce anything.  But I thought I had read an article, maybe it was just someone's opinion, and might have been talking about  different provider, but I thought I read that Disney was wanting to keep the SEC Network negotiations separate from any overall Disney package negotiations.  This may have been referring to another provider and DirecTV, with their Disney contract coming to an end, may be in a unique situation.

Bottom line, if DirecTV has an agree with the SEC Network and they are allowed to announce it, I'm not sure I understand why they aren't announcing it.  I'm just hearing about a lot of people dropping Direct and switching to Dish and if Direct could just announce that they have it, I would think that would quell some of those would-be switchers.

#825 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,389 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

What in the world is holding them up?

To fortify the illusion that they're fighting tooth and nail to save subscribers money?

Most favored nation status pretty much dictates what the deal is going to be.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#826 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,288 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:50 PM

The President stated DIRECTV® reached an agreement on price of SEC Net, but it's all contingent on the other several dozen items comprising the whole ESPN-ABC package, including streaming licenses and perhaps other items no one has announced. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#827 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,389 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:51 PM

I guess I was referring to that IF DirecTV already has an agreement in place with the SEC Network, then why not announce it and work on the other stuff in the background.  If there's not an actual agreement in place, then no, they definitely shouldn't announce it as an agreement when no agreement exists.

SEC Network is but a line item in a criminally large package deal.  When it is done, there should be much more than just the SEC Network to announce.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#828 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:33 PM

Watching ESPN tonite, they ran an ad for the SEC network. At the end there was a page to have you contact some site/phone# to request your provider carry the network. On the slide was all the providers already signed up to carry it. Of course DTV was missing, but the ad did run on DTV.......Just observing....

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#829 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,455 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:25 AM

The only thing about the Watch abc app not everybody will be able to use it

That doesn't make any sense at all. Unlesss you mean people who don't subscribe to a package that contains that channel, which is how it is with every app anyway.

That's partially true, the ABC Live stream portion of the WATCH ABC has only been available in ABC O&O markets.

However, the on demand content has been available as long as ABC is included in your package (with the supported providers available). This includes non O&O markets for this aspect of the service.

* Live stream is currently available in the following areas: Chicago, Fresno, Houston, Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia, Raleigh-Durham and San Francisco. You must be located within each available station's local viewing area and must verify your participating TV provider account for access to the WATCH ABC live stream in your area.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#830 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:51 AM

Up to date FAQ page:  http://getsecnetwork.com/#Faq

Remember, providers love leaking information that a deal is "close" in order to keep customers on board.

The timing of Mr. White's statement is not an accident. Mr. White knows August 1st is an important date in the minds of many customers. But DirecTV isn't just negotiating terms for the SEC Network. They're negotiating a massive carriage agreement for all of the Disney (ESPN's parent company) television properties. While the path for SEC Network may seem to be clear, there may still be boulders in the roadway elsewhere.

Scorecard_w_DirecTV.png

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#831 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 567 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:18 AM

Charter agreed to carry it last week.

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

#832 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,862 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:23 AM

Charter agreed to carry it last week.

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

Although reported as close, it's not officially 'done' from what I understand.

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#833 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:54 AM

I think the game Bama has on their right now would have been the PPV game or the one before AU would be so no big loss I like listening to Eli Gold on the Radio
  • djmaxwell likes this
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#834 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

Up to date FAQ page:  http://getsecnetwork.com/#Faq

Remember, providers love leaking information that a deal is "close" in order to keep customers on board.

The timing of Mr. White's statement is not an accident.

Of course it wasn't. It was at the second quarter report. He didn't go out of his way to announce anything.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#835 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

If a link from Satelliteguys is posted, will you leave it up?

Since you asked... I'm going to try and explain something that keeps getting twisted somehow.

If you find information that is valid to a topic being discussed here (or you are starting that topic yourself), you are welcome to post a link. The caveat, and it is ALWAYS a caveat to any link you post... not a special "Satelliteguys rule" as some might interpret...  you must post more than just a blind link.

No "go here" and a link... or "Satellite Guys is discussing this" and a link.  That is helpful to no one.

For any link you post in any topic, you must give it context... give the forum members a reason why they might click on the link.

Relevant to this topic... say "They are talking over on Satellite Guys about the SEC network and someone there posted a date when the channel is supposed to launch." and then post your link.  Easy peasy. More descriptive text is better.  Always remember copyright rules... like when we post a link to an article from another Web site and post the first paragraph only (not the entire post from the other site) and then a link.

Respect the copyright of other sites... but post something that gives our members a valid reason to visit the link you are sharing.

I can guarantee you Satellite Guys has this same kind of policy. They do not want people randomly dropping in there and posting "Go to DBSTalk" and then a link. It helps nobody on either forum to make those kinds of posts.

I can't think of a link to Satellite Guys that has ever been removed from this site as long as it follows these guidelines, that apply to ALL posted external links.

Now... having said all that...  when you do post a link to any article/thread on another site here... I assume you do so to add to the discussion... and as such, people who follow that link presumably come back here and continue the discussion... which means we would now be talking not only about the topic but about what someone on their site said about that topic.  If someone posts a rumor here or posts it there and someone links to it... it is now part of the discussion and some will like the rumor, others will doubt it. It's all fair game for reasonable discussion.

• James Long, boukengreen and Laxguy like this

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#836 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,177 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

Since you asked... I'm going to try and explain something that keeps getting twisted somehow.

If you find information that is valid to a topic being discussed here (or you are starting that topic yourself), you are welcome to post a link. The caveat, and it is ALWAYS a caveat to any link you post... not a special "Satelliteguys rule" as some might interpret...  you must post more than just a blind link.

No "go here" and a link... or "Satellite Guys is discussing this" and a link.  That is helpful to no one.

For any link you post in any topic, you must give it context... give the forum members a reason why they might click on the link.

Relevant to this topic... say "They are talking over on Satellite Guys about the SEC network and someone there posted a date when the channel is supposed to launch." and then post your link.  Easy peasy. More descriptive text is better.  Always remember copyright rules... like when we post a link to an article from another Web site and post the first paragraph only (not the entire post from the other site) and then a link.

Respect the copyright of other sites... but post something that gives our members a valid reason to visit the link you are sharing.

I can guarantee you Satellite Guys has this same kind of policy. They do not want people randomly dropping in there and posting "Go to DBSTalk" and then a link. It helps nobody on either forum to make those kinds of posts.

I can't think of a link to Satellite Guys that has ever been removed from this site as long as it follows these guidelines, that apply to ALL posted external links.

Now... having said all that...  when you do post a link to any article/thread on another site here... I assume you do so to add to the discussion... and as such, people who follow that link presumably come back here and continue the discussion... which means we would now be talking not only about the topic but about what someone on their site said about that topic.  If someone posts a rumor here or posts it there and someone links to it... it is now part of the discussion and some will like the rumor, others will doubt it. It's all fair game for reasonable discussion.

posting links is all good and well. i am a retired reporter. and i still know a few people in the business. if i ever post a tidbit from a source, i will never name that source. i didn't do it when i worked as a reporter (yes i would be willing to go jail) and i won't do it now. you folks can ask to your hearts content but i will never reveal.

#837 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

posting links is all good and well. i am a retired reporter. and i still know a few people in the business. if i ever post a tidbit from a source, i will never name that source. i didn't do it when i worked as a reporter (yes i would be willing to go jail) and i won't do it now. you folks can ask to your hearts content but i will never reveal.

What you're talking about is different... you're talking about protecting a confidential source. While frustrating to others, that can be respected. You should expect to be doubted, though... I mean, the different between you quoting a confidential source and me making up something is minimal until one of us is proven incorrect... so protecting sources is fine, but don't be surprised if people doubt you.

Meanwhile, you quoted my post... but my post applies to external links. There is no confidentiality protection when you post a link.  I mean, if you post a link to Satellite Guys the cat is out of the bag... You can't say "I won't tell you where I read this, but follow this link" and still have that particular source be confidential, right? :)

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#838 OFFLINE   Rob37

Rob37

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

Just heard that DirecTv signed a deal to carry the SEC Network. Announcement should be coming very soon!

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#839 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

Just curious... why does there have to be this long-standing battle between this site and Satellite Guys?  I look at both sites, enjoy both sites and appreciate the different perspectives.  To quote the infamous Rodney King.... "Can't we all just get along?"

#840 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:10 PM

:righton: Deal signed for the ISS....here:http://www.washingto...-space-station/

:rotfl: :rotfl:

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

Protected By... spam firewall...And...