Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

SEC Network

• Please log in to reply
1278 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   shuye

shuye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:18 PM

I just saw this article in the Houston Chronicle:

http://blog.chron.co...ork/?cmpid=hpts

In summary - SEC network is reportly charging $1.30 per subscriber per month in states in the SEC territory and $0.25 per subscriber per month in all other states.  The article also states that Dish Network and ATT U-Verse have already agreed to carry the channel.

No mention of DirecTV.

Steve

HR34-700 - owned
HR24-500 - owned
H24 - owned
Nomad

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:19 PM

Id pay $1.30 a month for it...or they could just put it in the sports pak and then Id have to pay even more :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#103 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

it may be choice in market and sports pack out of market.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#104 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

it may be choice in market and sports pack out of market.

That is how the SEC is asking that the channel be placed.  In market, by their definition includes the entire states of Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Lousiana, and Texas.

#105 OFFLINE   Spoonman27

Spoonman27

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

It the reports of Dish getting this channel are true then I don't see how directv doesn't add this channel.  The SEC network opens with South Caroina v Texas A and M which will get customers switching right off the bat in some areas.  If the pac 12 hasn't been added after two years there would be little reason for people to think that Directv will add SEC network soon after.  My guess is SEC gets added, maybe the Pac 12 gets added sometime after and RSN fees go up in the locales and sports pack goes up for outside of market people.  To me the difference between this and the Pac 12 network is that the Pac 12 had no must have games right off the bat.   I'm a Pac 12 alum family with 4 different relatives with Pac 12 ties and no one has switched from Directv yet.  There just hasn't been that many must have games.  The SEC has scheduled better games right off the bat and from what I hear football is religion down there.

#106 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 723 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

SEC Network would be a nice addition. I suspect it is using then model used by BTN, that is, one primary channel, with extra feeds when thy choose to show regional games. Until PAC-12 abandons their seven channel, must carry model, they probably will remain off DirecTV.

#107 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

I doubt that Directv will pay $1.30 for this.

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#108 OFFLINE   shuye

shuye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:21 PM

It's Directv's choice to pay or not - they must decide if the cost is worth it.  We have been Directv subscribers for 7+ years and if Directv decides to not carry this channel, we will switch to Dish or another provider that does.  I would support paying for these type of channels in a separate sports pack but the channel providers would not go for that as they want the $$

HR34-700 - owned
HR24-500 - owned
H24 - owned
Nomad

#109 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

They pay pretty close to that for BTN now, and that is a contract signed in 2007, so BTN will ask for and get more money when that contract comes up in a year. Given that they were willing to pay for BTN before, I doubt they'd drop it, and they aren't likely at all to carry BTN and not the SEC Network as those are the two conferences with the highest viewership by a lot.

I think it is the 7 full time channels may be the sticking point for Pac 12 on Directv, but no one who knows for sure would be allowed to talk about it. Part time channels are much easier for Directv to accommodate by reducing the number of PPV channels temporarily on Saturday afternoons (as they do on Sunday afternoons for Sunday Ticket)

I think an ACC Network or Big 12 Network would have the toughest time, since both would overlap in the conference footprints of the B1G and SEC, and providers may be reluctant to make people in say Texas, Florida, Iowa, Georgia, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, etc. pay for two conference networks.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#110 OFFLINE   Bradman

Bradman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

That's the price in 11 states, substantially less in the rest. Like others have said, the fact that it is in the ESPN "family" and that it is one primary channel with occasional overflows mean the likelihood is high DTV carries it.

#111 ONLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 478 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

I will bet the farm it is included in the comprehensive agreement that will be announced later in the year. Watch ESPN and such to be pieces in the grand scheme.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk
  • fleckrj likes this

#112 OFFLINE   thelucky1

thelucky1

Icon

• Registered
  • 930 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

I think Directv adds the SEC Network.

A DIRECTV Customer since 1998 :)

#113 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:59 AM

I think Directv adds the SEC Network.

So do I, but not at $1.30.

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#114 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

So do I, but not at $1.30.

Why not, that's not much more than what they pay for BTN, and BTN is going to ask for and get more money since their contract hasn't been negotiated since 2007.

I think you're reading too much into the Pac 12 Network thing. That is probably not about money, or not just about money. They have seven full time channels and Directv certainly doesn't want to carry all that useless crap. It would set a precedent where eventually every team would have their own channel on BTN, SEC, etc. and they'd have 60 channels showing stuff that less than 0.1% of subscribers would want to watch at any given time.

#115 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

Why not, that's not much more than what they pay for BTN, and BTN is going to ask for and get more money since their contract hasn't been negotiated since 2007.

I think you're reading too much into the Pac 12 Network thing. That is probably not about money, or not just about money. They have seven full time channels and Directv certainly doesn't want to carry all that useless crap. It would set a precedent where eventually every team would have their own channel on BTN, SEC, etc. and they'd have 60 channels showing stuff that less than 0.1% of subscribers would want to watch at any given time.

Agree wholeheartedly.  

The seven channel concept will go down as a  blunder. of epic  lore.

No other Conference network will repeat this mistake.

For that reason alone the PAC 12's misfortune will benefit all others in both the structuring of said  Conference networks and talks with the Tv providers also.

That said I do hope the PAC 12 gets picked up in the long run by D..

May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#116 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,936 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

Agree wholeheartedly.  

The seven channel concept will go down as a  blunder. of epic  lore.

No other Conference network will repeat this mistake.

For that reason alone the PAC 12's misfortune will benefit all others in both the structuring of said  Conference networks and talks with the Tv providers also.

That said I do hope the PAC 12 gets picked up in the long run by D..

Not to raise the PAC 12 issue again, but I think they have pretty much backed off the full time seven channel model for satellite but they haven't made it worthwhile financially at the same time. At least not in DirecTV's eyes.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#117 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

Not to raise the PAC 12 issue again, but I think they have pretty much backed off the full time seven channel model for satellite but they haven't made it worthwhile financially at the same time. At least not in DirecTV's eyes.

If that's the case (there seem to be plenty of rumors from both sides on the Pac12/DTV thing, who knows how accurate they are) Directv might want more concessions if Pac 12 was holding out over with a demand for those seven full time channels.

Look at it from Directv's perspective - they've already lost the large majority of the hardcore Pac 12 fans who will cancel over the issue, because they've already canceled. They aren't likely to come back right away just because Directv added Pac 12. Directv probably has some pretty good internal estimates of how much not having Pac 12 Network has cost them, and might want a bit of concession on rates at this point to compensate them for that.

The only thing a network has going for it in negotiations is the threat of a provider losing subscribers. That's already happened to Directv, so what does the Pac 12 Network have to negotiate with now? The way I see it, Directv is in the catbird seat.

This doesn't apply for the SEC Network, or for BTN when it comes time to renegotiate that deal. They would lose subscribers if they don't have the SEC Network, or if they lost BTN. Both those networks have that ace in the hole, but that ace has already been played by the Pac 12 and they can't play it twice. That's why I keep saying people shouldn't read into the Pac 12 situation trying to figure out what Directv might do about SEC Network.

• fleckrj likes this

#118 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:09 AM

They pay pretty close to that for BTN now, and that is a contract signed in 2007, so BTN will ask for and get more money when that contract comes up in a year. Given that they were willing to pay for BTN before, I doubt they'd drop it, and they aren't likely at all to carry BTN and not the SEC Network as those are the two conferences with the highest viewership by a lot.

Realize that when the Big Ten Network was formed Directv was still part of Fox - it's not today and thus time will tell how this shakes out.

#119 OFFLINE   chillyfl

chillyfl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

If that's the case (there seem to be plenty of rumors from both sides on the Pac12/DTV thing, who knows how accurate they are) Directv might want more concessions if Pac 12 was holding out over with a demand for those seven full time channels.

Look at it from Directv's perspective - they've already lost the large majority of the hardcore Pac 12 fans who will cancel over the issue, because they've already canceled. They aren't likely to come back right away just because Directv added Pac 12. Directv probably has some pretty good internal estimates of how much not having Pac 12 Network has cost them, and might want a bit of concession on rates at this point to compensate them for that.

The only thing a network has going for it in negotiations is the threat of a provider losing subscribers. That's already happened to Directv, so what does the Pac 12 Network have to negotiate with now? The way I see it, Directv is in the catbird seat.

This doesn't apply for the SEC Network, or for BTN when it comes time to renegotiate that deal. They would lose subscribers if they don't have the SEC Network, or if they lost BTN. Both those networks have that ace in the hole, but that ace has already been played by the Pac 12 and they can't play it twice. That's why I keep saying people shouldn't read into the Pac 12 situation trying to figure out what Directv might do about SEC Network.

The 7 channel thing is a bit of a red herring when discussing the P12N.  Very few of the existing P12N providers have all 7 channels.  Brighthouse is one of the few, but it provides 1 channel on digital basic (in footprint), and the other 6 on its sports package.  Dish came on board September of 2012, and they only carry a single channel plus overflows (available 120+ in footprint, sports package outside footprint).  ATT UVerse took 3 channels, available on U300 in footprint, U450 outside, or sports package.  The way the 7 channels have worked out in reality is more of an option package, under the basic framework of at least one channel on a basic tier in footprint, sports package (or very high level tier) outside footprint.

The biggest advantage the Big Ten and SEC has over the P12N are the fanbases.  I used to live in the southeast, have a lot of relatives in the midwest, and now live in SoCal.  I will argue til the cows come home that the PAC-12 has a great product, nearly the equal of the SEC on the gridiron. But the fans (on the whole) are not even close as passionate.  Most fans of a PAC-12 team I know are bigger fans of an NFL team, and are okay with missing a few college games in order to keep Sunday Ticket.  I don't think that will hold true with SEC fans, and DirecTV has greater risk of losing customers than what they faced with the P12N.

The SEC network also has the advantage of ESPN owning all games after CBS's single selection.  The South Carolina/Texas A&M game would normally be on a primary ESPN channel, but ESPN can move some good games to the SEC network to make it "hurt" more if you don't get the game.  I am curious if there will be a bait and switch once they get providers on board.  Will they move those type of games back to ESPN/ESPN2, or will there be some guarantees to the providers on how many "good" games ESPN will put on the SEC network.  Be interesting to watch it play out.

#120 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

Realize that when the Big Ten Network was formed Directv was still part of Fox - it's not today and thus time will tell how this shakes out.

That may reduce the chances of Directv renewing BTN from 100% to slightly less than that, but that's all. They would lose a lot of subscribers if they were forced to drop BTN if they couldn't reach a new agreement. The B1G has the biggest alumni base of any conference, by far. It would hurt them far more than not carrying Pac 12 did.

#121 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

The 7 channel thing is a bit of a red herring when discussing the P12N.  Very few of the existing P12N providers have all 7 channels.  Brighthouse is one of the few, but it provides 1 channel on digital basic (in footprint), and the other 6 on its sports package.  Dish came on board September of 2012, and they only carry a single channel plus overflows (available 120+ in footprint, sports package outside footprint).  ATT UVerse took 3 channels, available on U300 in footprint, U450 outside, or sports package.  The way the 7 channels have worked out in reality is more of an option package, under the basic framework of at least one channel on a basic tier in footprint, sports package (or very high level tier) outside footprint.

The biggest advantage the Big Ten and SEC has over the P12N are the fanbases.  I used to live in the southeast, have a lot of relatives in the midwest, and now live in SoCal.  I will argue til the cows come home that the PAC-12 has a great product, nearly the equal of the SEC on the gridiron. But the fans (on the whole) are not even close as passionate.  Most fans of a PAC-12 team I know are bigger fans of an NFL team, and are okay with missing a few college games in order to keep Sunday Ticket.  I don't think that will hold true with SEC fans, and DirecTV has greater risk of losing customers than what they faced with the P12N.

The SEC network also has the advantage of ESPN owning all games after CBS's single selection.  The South Carolina/Texas A&M game would normally be on a primary ESPN channel, but ESPN can move some good games to the SEC network to make it "hurt" more if you don't get the game.  I am curious if there will be a bait and switch once they get providers on board.  Will they move those type of games back to ESPN/ESPN2, or will there be some guarantees to the providers on how many "good" games ESPN will put on the SEC network.  Be interesting to watch it play out.

Like I've said, there's a lot of speculation about what exactly the points of dispute are between Directv and Pac 12. No one knows for sure, and whatever people connected with Pac 12 or Directv might claim isn't necessarily true - they aren't under oath and can say whatever they want to try to improve their negotiating position or make people believe the dispute is the other side's fault.

That's a good point about game selection and the SEC Network. The B1G showing games on ABC/ESPN and BTN means BTN always picks last, and often really messes up the schedule (sometimes you see four games with a noon/11AM start time, and only one at 3:30/2:30, and there's never a BTN game at night, because it appears ESPN's deal means they have the right to have an exclusive on a single time slot for the conference (at least that's what us B1G fans have guessed based on how often this crap happens now since BTN was created)

With one network owning everything they can spread SEC games around better, and as you say, make it hurt by putting some big games on SEC Network right away. There's a lot of people who think that when the B1G's deals come up in a year or so, they might switch from ABC/ESPN to Fox for similar reasons. Though of course, they'll have to willing to pay more....college football is all about money now, right? :nono2:

#122 OFFLINE   chillyfl

chillyfl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

Like I've said, there's a lot of speculation about what exactly the points of dispute are between Directv and Pac 12. No one knows for sure, and whatever people connected with Pac 12 or Directv might claim isn't necessarily true - they aren't under oath and can say whatever they want to try to improve their negotiating position or make people believe the dispute is the other side's fault.

That's a good point about game selection and the SEC Network. The B1G showing games on ABC/ESPN and BTN means BTN always picks last, and often really messes up the schedule (sometimes you see four games with a noon/11AM start time, and only one at 3:30/2:30, and there's never a BTN game at night, because it appears ESPN's deal means they have the right to have an exclusive on a single time slot for the conference (at least that's what us B1G fans have guessed based on how often this crap happens now since BTN was created)

With one network owning everything they can spread SEC games around better, and as you say, make it hurt by putting some big games on SEC Network right away. There's a lot of people who think that when the B1G's deals come up in a year or so, they might switch from ABC/ESPN to Fox for similar reasons. Though of course, they'll have to willing to pay more....college football is all about money now, right? :nono2:

There is speculation on the P12N/DirecTV dispute, but we know far more than many on here are willing to acknowledge (like exactly what packages it is offered on existing providers), and some speculation can be safely ruled out (such as the theory that the sticking point is about PAC-12 insisting on 7 full-time channels).

The way games are picked is going to be a huge advantage for the SEC network.  Even if they don't get a lot of marquee games, ESPN has built in overflow channels (removing the need for Pac-12 regional channels or Big Ten overflow channels).  They have said there will be 3 games on the network per week, so they can spread them out evenly, filling a days worth of programming, and putting other games on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU.  Ironically, with the game selection process, PAC-12 fans have the opposite complaint as yours, as ESPN (and FOX) use the PAC-12 games to fill their late night game slots.  The evening slot is also a time slot the P12N likes to fill, so often you have 3 night games per week in the PAC-12 (plus Thursday/Friday night games).  The grass is always greener on the other side, and many PAC-12 fans are largely envious of all the day games the Big Ten and SEC get.

#123 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:23 PM

It's going to be interesting to see how this changes gametimes for the SEC.  Historically it has been an 11 Central on SEC TV/Jefferson Pilot, 2:30 game on CBS, and sometimes a game or two at 6/7 pm game on ESPN/2/U.  I don't remember there being 2 SEC games on CBS and ESPN at the same time, think it is contract thing.  The SEC rarely plays on non Saturdays unless it is around thanksgiving.

my setup here

#124 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:17 AM

The B1G showing games on ABC/ESPN and BTN means BTN always picks last, and often really messes up the schedule (sometimes you see four games with a noon/11AM start time, and only one at 3:30/2:30, and there's never a BTN game at night, because it appears ESPN's deal means they have the right to have an exclusive on a single time slot for the conference (at least that's what us B1G fans have guessed based on how often this crap happens now since BTN was created)

Most of this no longer holds true. For starters the BTN does not always pick last. ABC is first, but there are weeks where the BTN picks ahead of ESPN/2. Also, when Nebraska was added, the deal was reworked and ABC/ESPN now has far less exclusives. BTN can now show games against ABC and ESPN in the 3:30 window, as well as more games at night against ESPN. There were far more double and triple headers last season than ever before and less concurrent overflow games in the noon window.

Edited by mws192, 26 January 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#125 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:10 AM

It's going to be interesting to see how this changes gametimes for the SEC.  Historically it has been an 11 Central on SEC TV/Jefferson Pilot, 2:30 game on CBS, and sometimes a game or two at 6/7 pm game on ESPN/2/U.  I don't remember there being 2 SEC games on CBS and ESPN at the same time, think it is contract thing.  The SEC rarely plays on non Saturdays unless it is around thanksgiving.

What do you mean "the SEC rarely plays on non Saturdays"?  There have been Thursday night SEC games on ESPN for many years.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...