Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

SEC Network

• Please log in to reply
1275 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

DESTIN, Fla. – The SEC's big players continue debating eight- or nine-game conference schedules, but ESPN senior vice president of programming Justin Connolly said the Worldwide Leader is staying out of the conversation. Connolly said ESPN and the newly constructed SEC Network will leave scheduling "in the conference's hands." The Network won't be left in the dark, but their control is limited.

"We certainly have a dialogue with them about how they schedule, but we don’t really view it as our decision or our attempt to influence," Connolly said Wednesday morning in the lobby at Sandestin Beach Hotel, where the SEC is holding its annual spring meetings this week. "We’re going to take whatever it is they put together and make the most of it."

http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/football/article_9f692558-c872-11e2-a168-001a4bcf6878.html

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:20 AM

interesting. I didn't know it came from the official SEC site. I am outside the footprint so I am hoping that I won't see too much of a rise in costs from it

I am outside of the SEC footprint, too, but the way I fugure it is that as long as the cost is less than what I save by dropping ESPN Full Court (and I am pretty sure it will be), I will come out ahead.  As it was, to get all of the Kentucky basketball games I had to have the Sports Pack and ESPN Full Court.  Although Kentucky football is an oxymoron, I still got most of those games with just the Sports Pack.  I believe there was one game each season that I did not pay the extra for ESPN Game Plan to watch.  With the new SEC Sports Network, I will pay to get that and drop Full Court.

Edited by fleckrj, 06 June 2013 - 07:21 AM.

#83 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

I am outside of the SEC footprint, too,

Interesting that you are out of the SEC footprint but the headquarters for the network we are talking about will be in Charlotte.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#84 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

Interesting that you are out of the SEC footprint but the headquarters for the network we are talking about will be in Charlotte.

It's sharing facilities with ESPNU - which is in Charlotte.

#85 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

It's sharing facilities with ESPNU - which is in Charlotte.

I know. It is still strange.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#86 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

I am outside of the SEC footprint, too, but the way I fugure it is that as long as the cost is less than what I save by dropping ESPN Full Court (and I am pretty sure it will be), I will come out ahead. As it was, to get all of the Kentucky basketball games I had to have the Sports Pack and ESPN Full Court. Although Kentucky football is an oxymoron, I still got most of those games with just the Sports Pack. I believe there was one game each season that I did not pay the extra for ESPN Game Plan to watch. With the new SEC Sports Network, I will pay to get that and drop Full Court.

Right. I am sure my bill may go up but I am glad that most of the games will be consolidated outside of CBS & ESPN time slots.

No more....where is our game? Is it on TV?

#87 OFFLINE   whitewolf8214

whitewolf8214

AllStar

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

I had heard Comcast has the right to show ESPN3 stuff on a linear channel. Anyone else?

Charter does here in this area!! :)

#88 OFFLINE   whitewolf8214

whitewolf8214

AllStar

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

Maybe i missed it or didn't see it but has anyone heard whens the SEC Network is going live? Thanks for any replies and help :)

Edited by whitewolf8214, 08 June 2013 - 10:13 AM.

#89 OFFLINE   tjguitar

tjguitar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

Maybe i missed it or didn't see it but has anyone heard whens the SEC Network is going live? Thanks for any replies and help :)

august of 14

• whitewolf8214 likes this

#90 OFFLINE   whitewolf8214

whitewolf8214

AllStar

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:40 PM

august of 14

Thank You Very Much Appreciate It!! :)

#91 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

The location of the headquarters has nothing to do with what the SEC footprint is.  The headquarters is in Charlotte because EXPN already has some pretty good facilities there, and Charlotte is a lot closer to Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia and Kentucky than I am. 

I am stuck with the ACC, but I am glad I am not an ACC fan, because the ACC television coverage is really bad compared to what the SEC has.  Even without the SEC network, every Kentucky basketball game, including Big Blue Madness, the Blue White scrimmage, and the two pre-season exhibition games were televised and available on DirecTV,  The same is not true for Duke or UNC..

#92 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

The location of the headquarters has nothing to do with what the SEC footprint is.  The headquarters is in Charlotte because EXPN already has some pretty good facilities there, and Charlotte is a lot closer to Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia and Kentucky than I am. 

I am stuck with the ACC, but I am glad I am not an ACC fan, because the ACC television coverage is really bad compared to what the SEC has.  Even without the SEC network, every Kentucky basketball game, including Big Blue Madness, the Blue White scrimmage, and the two pre-season exhibition games were televised and available on DirecTV,  The same is not true for Duke or UNC..

If you don't see the oddity, I can't help you. Imagine MLB Network being headquartered in Mexico City.

#93 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

If you don't see the oddity, I can't help you. Imagine MLB Network being headquartered in Mexico City.

I think a better analogy would be the NFL network headquartered in Los Angeles. 

ESPN already owns television facilities in Charlotte that do not esist in Fayetteville AR, Columbia MO, Lexington KY, Nashville TN, Knoxville TN, Columbia, SC, Athens GA, Gainesville, FL, Auburn AL, Tuscaloosa AL, Starksville MS, State College MS, Baton Rouge LA, or College Station TX.

Edited by fleckrj, 10 June 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#94 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

I think a better analogy would be the NFL network headquartered in Los Angeles. 

ESPN already owns television facilities in Charlotte that do not esist in Fayetteville AR, Columbia MO, Lexington KY, Nashville TN, Knoxville TN, Columbia, SC, Athens GA, Gainesville, FL, Auburn AL, Tuscaloosa AL, Starksville MS, State College MS, Baton Rouge LA, or College Station TX.

Can you imagine the uproar from the rest of the SEC if one of those cities was selected as the seat of the network? It's almost better that it be just outside of SEC territory to give the appearance of neutrality.  Longhorn Network nearly destroyed a conference. I'd say the SEC is learning that lesson quite well.

Plus Charlotte is a major airport that should provide good access to all those cities.

Edited by tulanejosh, 10 June 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#95 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

I'm surprised Atlanta was not considered as the home of the SEC Network since it is the host of the SEC Football Championship as well as the future home of the College Football Hall of Fame.  Of course, Birmingham is where the SEC headquarters is located and would have been another option.  But since ESPN has laid off people, I'm sure they don't want to incur any unnecessary costs, so Charlotte was the choice.

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - 2014

#96 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:47 AM

If it were TWC instead of ESPN that was creating the SEC network, then the headquarters might have been in the CNN studios in Atlanta, but ESPN's studios are in Charlotte.

#97 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 155 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

If it were TWC instead of ESPN that was creating the SEC network, then the headquarters might have been in the CNN studios in Atlanta, but ESPN's studios are in Charlotte.

I know we are speaking about hypotheticals here re:  TWC, but please realize TWC spun out of Time Warner in 2009, thus would have no reason to do business out of Time Warner owned studios, in Atlanta, or anyplace else.

http://ir.timewarner...l-twcseparation

#98 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

Yeah, cause the SEC isn't big and important enough to get its own studio. Has to have ESPN hand me downs.

;)

#99 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

Not necessarily.  BTN is headquartered in Chicago in the old Montgomery Ward complex.  I cannot find any reference to Fox Sports having studio space in this same location.  However, the B1G is headquartered in Chicago.  

Unlike BTN, the SEC Network doesn't appear to be its own entity.  It looks to be another channel of the ESPN family and will be negotiated as such similar to LHN.  Even the logo prominently features "ESPN" not to mention the copyright and disclaimers at the bottom of the page.  So, this is definitely a different venture than the B1G/Fox-Sports deal for BTN.  Given these findings, it makes perfect sense that this channel be headquartered at one of the ESPN facilities.

I'll grant you that the ESPN branding brings value and instant credibility to the network.

#100 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

Not necessarily.  BTN is headquartered in Chicago in the old Montgomery Ward complex.  I cannot find any reference to Fox Sports having studio space in this same location.  However, the B1G is headquartered in Chicago.  

Unlike BTN, the SEC Network doesn't appear to be its own entity.  It looks to be another channel of the ESPN family and will be negotiated as such similar to LHN.  Even the logo prominently features "ESPN" not to mention the copyright and disclaimers at the bottom of the page.  So, this is definitely a different venture than the B1G/Fox-Sports deal for BTN.  Given these findings, it makes perfect sense that this channel be headquartered at one of the ESPN facilities.

I'll grant you that the ESPN branding brings value and instant credibility to the network.

And the BTN offices is in park ridge il and it's moving to Rosemont IL.

also CSN in in the old FOX sports studio spaces

Edited by JoeTheDragon, 11 June 2013 - 02:35 PM.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...