Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

SEC Network

• Please log in to reply
1145 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,224 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

The 7 channel thing is a bit of a red herring when discussing the P12N.  Very few of the existing P12N providers have all 7 channels.  Brighthouse is one of the few, but it provides 1 channel on digital basic (in footprint), and the other 6 on its sports package.  Dish came on board September of 2012, and they only carry a single channel plus overflows (available 120+ in footprint, sports package outside footprint).  ATT UVerse took 3 channels, available on U300 in footprint, U450 outside, or sports package.  The way the 7 channels have worked out in reality is more of an option package, under the basic framework of at least one channel on a basic tier in footprint, sports package (or very high level tier) outside footprint.

The biggest advantage the Big Ten and SEC has over the P12N are the fanbases.  I used to live in the southeast, have a lot of relatives in the midwest, and now live in SoCal.  I will argue til the cows come home that the PAC-12 has a great product, nearly the equal of the SEC on the gridiron. But the fans (on the whole) are not even close as passionate.  Most fans of a PAC-12 team I know are bigger fans of an NFL team, and are okay with missing a few college games in order to keep Sunday Ticket.  I don't think that will hold true with SEC fans, and DirecTV has greater risk of losing customers than what they faced with the P12N.

The SEC network also has the advantage of ESPN owning all games after CBS's single selection.  The South Carolina/Texas A&M game would normally be on a primary ESPN channel, but ESPN can move some good games to the SEC network to make it "hurt" more if you don't get the game.  I am curious if there will be a bait and switch once they get providers on board.  Will they move those type of games back to ESPN/ESPN2, or will there be some guarantees to the providers on how many "good" games ESPN will put on the SEC network.  Be interesting to watch it play out.

Like I've said, there's a lot of speculation about what exactly the points of dispute are between Directv and Pac 12. No one knows for sure, and whatever people connected with Pac 12 or Directv might claim isn't necessarily true - they aren't under oath and can say whatever they want to try to improve their negotiating position or make people believe the dispute is the other side's fault.

That's a good point about game selection and the SEC Network. The B1G showing games on ABC/ESPN and BTN means BTN always picks last, and often really messes up the schedule (sometimes you see four games with a noon/11AM start time, and only one at 3:30/2:30, and there's never a BTN game at night, because it appears ESPN's deal means they have the right to have an exclusive on a single time slot for the conference (at least that's what us B1G fans have guessed based on how often this crap happens now since BTN was created)

With one network owning everything they can spread SEC games around better, and as you say, make it hurt by putting some big games on SEC Network right away. There's a lot of people who think that when the B1G's deals come up in a year or so, they might switch from ABC/ESPN to Fox for similar reasons. Though of course, they'll have to willing to pay more....college football is all about money now, right? :nono2:

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   chillyfl

chillyfl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

Like I've said, there's a lot of speculation about what exactly the points of dispute are between Directv and Pac 12. No one knows for sure, and whatever people connected with Pac 12 or Directv might claim isn't necessarily true - they aren't under oath and can say whatever they want to try to improve their negotiating position or make people believe the dispute is the other side's fault.

That's a good point about game selection and the SEC Network. The B1G showing games on ABC/ESPN and BTN means BTN always picks last, and often really messes up the schedule (sometimes you see four games with a noon/11AM start time, and only one at 3:30/2:30, and there's never a BTN game at night, because it appears ESPN's deal means they have the right to have an exclusive on a single time slot for the conference (at least that's what us B1G fans have guessed based on how often this crap happens now since BTN was created)

With one network owning everything they can spread SEC games around better, and as you say, make it hurt by putting some big games on SEC Network right away. There's a lot of people who think that when the B1G's deals come up in a year or so, they might switch from ABC/ESPN to Fox for similar reasons. Though of course, they'll have to willing to pay more....college football is all about money now, right? :nono2:

There is speculation on the P12N/DirecTV dispute, but we know far more than many on here are willing to acknowledge (like exactly what packages it is offered on existing providers), and some speculation can be safely ruled out (such as the theory that the sticking point is about PAC-12 insisting on 7 full-time channels).

The way games are picked is going to be a huge advantage for the SEC network.  Even if they don't get a lot of marquee games, ESPN has built in overflow channels (removing the need for Pac-12 regional channels or Big Ten overflow channels).  They have said there will be 3 games on the network per week, so they can spread them out evenly, filling a days worth of programming, and putting other games on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU.  Ironically, with the game selection process, PAC-12 fans have the opposite complaint as yours, as ESPN (and FOX) use the PAC-12 games to fill their late night game slots.  The evening slot is also a time slot the P12N likes to fill, so often you have 3 night games per week in the PAC-12 (plus Thursday/Friday night games).  The grass is always greener on the other side, and many PAC-12 fans are largely envious of all the day games the Big Ten and SEC get.

#123 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:23 PM

It's going to be interesting to see how this changes gametimes for the SEC.  Historically it has been an 11 Central on SEC TV/Jefferson Pilot, 2:30 game on CBS, and sometimes a game or two at 6/7 pm game on ESPN/2/U.  I don't remember there being 2 SEC games on CBS and ESPN at the same time, think it is contract thing.  The SEC rarely plays on non Saturdays unless it is around thanksgiving.

my setup here

#124 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:17 AM

The B1G showing games on ABC/ESPN and BTN means BTN always picks last, and often really messes up the schedule (sometimes you see four games with a noon/11AM start time, and only one at 3:30/2:30, and there's never a BTN game at night, because it appears ESPN's deal means they have the right to have an exclusive on a single time slot for the conference (at least that's what us B1G fans have guessed based on how often this crap happens now since BTN was created)

Most of this no longer holds true. For starters the BTN does not always pick last. ABC is first, but there are weeks where the BTN picks ahead of ESPN/2. Also, when Nebraska was added, the deal was reworked and ABC/ESPN now has far less exclusives. BTN can now show games against ABC and ESPN in the 3:30 window, as well as more games at night against ESPN. There were far more double and triple headers last season than ever before and less concurrent overflow games in the noon window.

Edited by mws192, 26 January 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#125 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:10 AM

It's going to be interesting to see how this changes gametimes for the SEC.  Historically it has been an 11 Central on SEC TV/Jefferson Pilot, 2:30 game on CBS, and sometimes a game or two at 6/7 pm game on ESPN/2/U.  I don't remember there being 2 SEC games on CBS and ESPN at the same time, think it is contract thing.  The SEC rarely plays on non Saturdays unless it is around thanksgiving.

What do you mean "the SEC rarely plays on non Saturdays"?  There have been Thursday night SEC games on ESPN for many years.

#126 OFFLINE   mpar1

mpar1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:30 AM

As of 2014, CBS no longer has an exclusive window at 3:30 Eastern. 

#127 OFFLINE   jtbell

jtbell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

I cannot imagine D* not carrying the SEC network.  And if they don't I cannot imagine keeping them as my provider.

• bwaldron likes this
Current Configuration:
HR22-100
Yamaha RX-A710BL
Samsung UN60D7000V
Klipsch RCW-5 in-wall speakers x4
Klipsch RC-53 center
Klipsch KW-100 sub

#128 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

I think they probably will carry it as well, especially with the ABC/Disney/ESPN contract coming up for renewal around the time of launch. I think it will be included in the next contract which will probably be part of larger comprehensive long term distribution agreement that will probably also include LHN, ESPN GL/BB, Fusion, retransmission consent of ABC in O&O markets, as well as the full suite of authenticated WATCH products  (ESPN/ABC/ABC Family/Disney/Disney XD/Junior etc).

If they end up not having it at the start of the college football season I will just double up providers with D* and either reactivate my owned Dish equipment or add AT&T U-verse (both have confirmed 100% there adding it) with no commitment, I will not cancel D* over this.

---

Looking over the FAQ's which they updated on 1/27/14 http://www.secdigita...etwork-faq.aspx

I will quote a few notables below:

30. How do I get the digital part of the SEC Network?

Provided you are a customer who receives the network from your cable, satellite or telco provider, you can contact that provider and get a username and password which will allow you to access the content on computers, tablets, mobile phones and other consumer devices like Xbox.

33. Will I be able to watch the SEC Network on my mobile phone or similar device?

Yes. Provided you are a subscriber of an affiliated provider (a cable, satellite or telco partner), the SEC Network will be available on computers, tablets, mobile phones and other consumer devices like Xbox. The aim is to make this content available to fans anytime, anywhere, similar to how the WatchESPN application works today.

35. Will local affiliates (over-the-air nets) broadcast my team’s games if our region/cable provider does not carry the service (Ole Miss fans got this when they played on LHN)?

No. SEC Network programming and events will only be made available on the SEC Network channel or digital platforms.

36. Can I pay to subscribe to the network online, Pay-Per-View or via ESPN3 if I can’t get it on TV?

No. The games will be exclusive to the network and its digital extensions.  However, once a subscriber has access to the network via an affiliated provider, that subscriber will have access to the content on computers, tablets, mobile phones and other consumer devices like Xbox.  The aim is to make this content available to fans anytime, anywhere.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#129 OFFLINE   JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:58 PM

I will bet the farm it is included in the comprehensive agreement that will be announced later in the year. Watch ESPN and such to be pieces in the grand scheme.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Hope you are right, Godfather!

“The problem with quotes from the internet is that you cannot always verify the authenticity.”

---------Abraham Lincoln

#130 OFFLINE   BigJ52

BigJ52

Godfather

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:07 PM

DISH just signed a new deal with ESPN/Walt Disney and they WILL carry SEC Network and the Longhorn Network.

"DISH will make available Disney Junior, Fusion, ESPN Goal Line, ESPN Buzzer Beater, as well as Longhorn Network and the upcoming SEC ESPN Network upon its launch."

http://espnmediazone...ging-agreement/

#131 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:32 AM

Good news for us. A framework for a deal.

#132 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,703 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:39 AM

Good news for us. A framework for a deal.

Lets just hope D* agrees to it.

#133 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:40 AM

It is the not like negotiating with PAC-12. Disney/ESPN is core programming.

Edited by stoutman, 04 March 2014 - 06:41 AM.

#134 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,703 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:44 AM

It is the not like negotiating with PAC-12. Disney/ESPN is core programming.

Oh I agree with you, I'm just saying, with the way D* has treated channels lately, who knows what'll happen.

#135 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:25 AM

If Directv lost ESPN, there would be no doubt that its status as the top sports provider would go away.  Imagine core football fans who have Directv for Sunday Ticket not being able to watching MNF.

#136 OFFLINE   Bronxiniowa

Bronxiniowa

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:00 AM

The Disney deal with DISH gives them an edge over DirecTV for average TV watchers. DirecTV retains the hard-core sports watchers, though, and they will pay.

#137 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:04 AM

DirecTV's deal with ABC/Disney/ESPN is not up until next year.  D*'s CEO Mike White previously stated he wasn't interested in renegotiating with Disney until the deal expires.  So that means Dish subs now have all of the ESPN outlets, including ESPN3 & WatchESPN, as well as the Longhorn and upcoming SEC Networks.  Add this to DirecTV's stand not to carry the PAC12 Net, it has only NFLST to hang its hat on claiming to be the sports leader.

Twitter comments, though not a scientific poll, show that many D* subs would rather have access to College Football than NFLST, so DirecTV really needs to step or be left behind.

#138 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 819 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

when is DirecTV up for  renewal with Disney/ESPN?   From everything I've seen Disney/ESPN won't renegotiate, but rather wait until the contract is up for renewal.  So DirecTV is in a holding pattern for getting all of these new channels.

#139 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

The article from the Sports Business Daily published on 1/24/2005 said the deal between D* & Disney expires on 9/30/14.

#140 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 819 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

The article from the Sports Business Daily published on 1/24/2005 said the deal between D* & Disney expires on 9/30/14.

thanks

spam firewall