Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

SEC Network

• Please log in to reply
1278 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

It may be only one sport but if you look at the history of football Alabama is clearly the dominant team as it is top-five in wins, has the most AP national championships and most overall national championships. It also has the most bowl appearances and victories in history. So maybe the SEC doesn't dominate in one sport but Alabama sure does. Football is the Cashcow for the NCAA and people down here in SEC country will watch it like crazy and drive the ratings through the roof. If DirecTV doesn't have SEC network then they may lose all of their Southern subscriptions. As cable doesn't reach all the rural areas around here there are a lot of people with dishes. Not adding this channel will impact DirecTV.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Exactly the point I was making. Although there's no way they'd lose all their Southern subscriptions, that's incredibly hyperbolic. Point is, football is what matters for ratings and DirecTV. It's the "other sports" argument that just doesn't hold water.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#202 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

I was a swimming referee for 20 years.  Auburn has owned both men's and women's swimming and diving in recent years.  Since 2000, Auburn has won the men's swimming and diving chamipionships six times and the women's championships five times.  Collectively, the SEC has won the women's championships ten times (the others were Georgia with 4 and Florida with 1) since 2000.  The other three years, the PAC 12 (California) won the women's championships. For the seven years that Auburn did not win the men's championships, Texas won 4, California won 2, and Arizona and Michigan won 1 each.

The SEC also owns competitive cheerleading.  In 2014, the SEC teams finished first (Kentucky), third (Alabama), fourth (Ole Miss), fifth (LSU), eighth (Mississippi State), and ninth (Tennessee).  Overall, Kentucky has finished first 20 times.( 1985, 1987, 1988, 1992, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, and 2014).  LSU won the cheerleading championship in 1989, and Alabama won in 2011.

#203 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,369 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

I was a swimming referee for 20 years.  Auburn has owned both men's and women's swimming and diving in recent years.  Since 2000, Auburn has won the men's swimming and diving chamipionships six times and the women's championships five times.  Collectively, the SEC has won the women's championships ten times (the others were Georgia with 4 and Florida with 1) since 2000.  The other three years, the PAC 12 (California) won the women's championships. For the seven years that Auburn did not win the men's championships, Texas won 4, California won 2, and Arizona and Michigan won 1 each.

The SEC also owns competitive cheerleading.  In 2014, the SEC teams finished first (Kentucky), third (Alabama), fourth (Ole Miss), fifth (LSU), eighth (Mississippi State), and ninth (Tennessee).  Overall, Kentucky has finished first 20 times.( 1985, 1987, 1988, 1992, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, and 2014).  LSU won the cheerleading championship in 1989, and Alabama won in 2011.

Men's swimming & diving national championships by conference:

Big 10 - 29

P12 - 23

SEC - 11

So, the SEC surely doesn't own in Men's... let's check women's.

P12 - 13

SEC - 11

Nope, not owning there either.

That's great you went all the way to the bottom of the sports barrel with cheerleading to find a sport the SEC owns.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#204 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

I am not counting ancient history in swimming and diving.  In this century, the Big 10 won one mens and 0 womens swimming and diving championships.

Since 2000

Men's Swimming and Diving

SEC - 6

Big 12 - 4

PAC 12 - 3

Big 10 - 1

Women's Swimming and Diving

SEC - 10

PAC 12 - 3

Everyone else - 0

Then, there is football in this century

SEC - 8

ACC - 2 (counting Miami, who was still in the Big East when they won)

BIG 12 - 2

BIG 10 - 1

PAC 12 - 1 (which was later vacated)

Men's basketball in this century

ACC - 6 (counting Syracuse, who was in the Big East when they won)

SEC - 3

Big East - 3 (counting Louisville who was in the Big East when they won, is in the AAC this year, and wil be in the ACC next year, counting UCONN, who was in the Big East when they won, but in the AAC now, and not counting Syracuse, who is now in the ACC)

Big 10 - 1

PAC 12 - 0

Women's basketball in this century

Big East - 7 (all UCONN, who is now in the AAC)

SEC - 3

ACC - 2 (counting Notre Dame, who was in the Big East when they won)

Big 12 - 2

PAC 12 - 0

Baseball in this century

SEC - 4

PAC 12 - 4

BIG 12 - 2

WAC - 2

ACC - 1

Big West - 1

Women's Gymnastics this century

SEC - 9

PAC 12 - 5

Everyone else - 0

#205 OFFLINE   jtrippe77

jtrippe77

Mentor

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

Coming from a household where I'm a big Bama fan and my wife is an Auburn fan we have decided that if DirecTV does not carry this network we will drop DIRECTV. This would be very unfortunate as we absolutely love DirecTV. I'm confident they will get this channel. I don't have any statistics to back me up but I would venture to guess that those in the South watch more college sports, particularly SEC, then pro sports as opposed to the East Coast or the West Coast. In my opinion not caring SEC will have a far greater impact than not caring Longhorn or Pac 12.

HR34 w/ one client, AM21N, Choice Ultimate, HD Extra Pack, Sports Pack, Extra Innings

#206 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,661 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

Coming from a household where I'm a big Bama fan and my wife is an Auburn fan we have decided that if DirecTV does not carry this network we will drop DIRECTV. This would be very unfortunate as we absolutely love DirecTV. I'm confident they will get this channel. I don't have any statistics to back me up but I would venture to guess that those in the South watch more college sports, particularly SEC, then pro sports as opposed to the East Coast or the West Coast. In my opinion not caring SEC will have a far greater impact than not caring Longhorn or Pac 12.

I agree with that but you don't even know if and what games will be on the channel. What if the only games Alabama and auburn play on the channel are one game each against their freebie teams that aren't even in their division? Would you really be missing anything? That's the reality of the pac12 and until we see different I expect similar for the sec channel. CBS wants those two teams every week. We all know this.

#207 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,369 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:47 PM

So, only 2000 on matters? That's really very convenient how you count from 2000 since that's around when Auburn started winning. !rolling I guess Kentucky basketball only has 1 national championship (2012) right, since the others were all ancient history prior to 2000?

Thanks for the football information since nobody doubts that dominance here.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#208 OFFLINE   jtrippe77

jtrippe77

Mentor

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

I agree with that but you don't even know if and what games will be on the channel. What if the only games Alabama and auburn play on the channel are one game each against their freebie teams that aren't even in their division? Would you really be missing anything? That's the reality of the pac12 and until we see different I expect similar for the sec channel. CBS wants those two teams every week. We all know this.

I see your point but my understanding is they're moving the SEC network (11:30) games from our local channels and the pay-per-view games to this network and those are highly viewed. The weekly SEC games could have Alabama versus Tennessee in a bad year for example. I have season tickets so I won't be one of those viewing the games against lesser teams but Alabama has a 10 to 20,000 waiting list for tickets and probably the most rabid football fan base in America so they won't miss a game.

HR34 w/ one client, AM21N, Choice Ultimate, HD Extra Pack, Sports Pack, Extra Innings

#209 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,661 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

Like I said till we go through an entire season no one is going to really know for sure. Because I'm sure they can change what games as the season moves along like all other contracts now a days.

#210 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

Anyone really believe customers want the SEC Network with third-rate games more than Sunday Ticket?

Some do. I'm one.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#211 OFFLINE   jtrippe77

jtrippe77

Mentor

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

Some do. I'm one.

Me too. I hate the NFL. College football is more popular in the South.

#212 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,050 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

That's the reality for BTN as well, since ABC and ESPN have first pick of the best games each week, and BTN picks third. Yet everyone carries that. The B1G may be stinking it up in football compared to the SEC lately, but they have the largest alumni base of any conference and the most spread out alumni base, so BTN is a "must carry" on that basis, just as the SEC Network will be "must carry" on the basis of being #1 in the only sport that counts as far as conference networks are concerned. The SEC isn't being greedy like the Dodgers, they're only asking $1.30 per in-market subscriber. That's barely more than BTN gets on a seven year old contract (which is ancient in sports rights)

I was actually quite surprised they're asking so little, since the B1G will undoubtedly ask for and get more than that when they renegotiate their contract next year. I think perhaps the SEC lowballed a bit because they have seen what happens when greed gets in the way and didn't want their fans to pay the price. It is always easier to ask for more next time because it is a lot harder for a provider to remove a channel than to refuse to add it. I can't see any scenario under which Directv doesn't have SEC Network this fall, simply because the SEC isn't asking for an unreasonable amount.

All the talk of other sports, and which conference or teams are winning championships in those sports, is utterly meaningless. If college football was banned tomorrow, every conference network would shut down. Even men's basketball is puny compared to the money football brings in, and conference networks simply can't survive without the football revenue paying for all the minor sports that cost a lot of money to put on TV and bring in almost no revenue.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL, 3xSWM16; 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#213 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

All the talk of other sports, and which conference or teams are winning championships in those sports, is utterly meaningless. If college football was banned tomorrow, every conference network would shut down. Even men's basketball is puny compared to the money football brings in, and conference networks simply can't survive without the football revenue paying for all the minor sports that cost a lot of money to put on TV and bring in almost no revenue.

Exactly. The conference networks are tools for getting the other sports some visibility, none of them drive the existence like football. Basketball to an extent that it at least registers on the meter but the big needle pusher is football.

BTN is a very successful channel in almost every measurable way. They only have multiple channels for football. They do cover basketball extensively but the other sports are mostly fill-in. Hardly any baseball, softball, gymnastics, swimming, track and field, hockey, lacrosse. (They are doing more of the last two but they still are secondary on the feeding structure.)

The PAC 12 tried to claim that all the other sports were so important; they are not. It is 90% football, 10% basketball and almost zero for all else.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#214 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

Exactly. The conference networks are tools for getting the other sports some visibility, none of them drive the existence like football. Basketball to an extent that it at least registers on the meter but the big needle pusher is football.

BTN is a very successful channel in almost every measurable way. They only have multiple channels for football. They do cover basketball extensively but the other sports are mostly fill-in. Hardly any baseball, softball, gymnastics, swimming, track and field, hockey, lacrosse. (They are doing more of the last two but they still are secondary on the feeding structure.)

The PAC 12 tried to claim that all the other sports were so important; they are not. It is 90% football, 10% basketball and almost zero for all else.

Exactly.

Bottom Line, BigTen is, and has been a must carry.

SEC will be a must carry starting in August

Pac 12 network despite all the championships alluded to above in the revenue losing sports remains an afterthought on the National Landscape.

I say that also has someone who wants the Pac 12 added yesterday and would be willing to incur a higher bill for such.

Just not that many like minded souls  though outside the  geographic footprint or various pockets of alums.

Edited by davidatl14, 18 March 2014 - 02:54 PM.

May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#215 ONLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

Me too. I hate the NFL. College football is more popular in the South.

College Football is more corrupt in the South.

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#216 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

I wouldn't equate "importance" with ratings.  The Pac-12 intentionally created a channel that would benefit the PAC-12 beyond ratings.  They get most of the profits (by not partnering with a goliath like ESPN) and they get to showcase the non-major sports much more than other conference channels do.  The reason is to support the schools and the athletes.  If your kid was an elite water polo player and had their choice of colleges all across the country, why wouldn't you give extra consideration to attending a school that actually gets those matches televised?  This consideration just re-enforces the strength of those second tier sports in the Pac-12.  Obviously, this is what the schools of the Pac-12 consider "important", but not what DirecTV does.  

Every major conference can get their football games on TV, so there really isn't any need for these new channels, but Football = Ratings, and right now SEC has that, so they're trying to cash in.  I don't think they'll have much trouble getting their network onto DTV.  But who knows, DISH seems to be the ones truly embracing college sports, while DTV focuses on the pros.

#217 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 724 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

College Football is more corrupt in the South.

I think college football is corrupt everywhere.

• mnassour likes this

#218 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

I wouldn't equate "importance" with ratings. The Pac-12 intentionally created a channel that would benefit the PAC-12 beyond ratings. They get most of the profits (by not partnering with a goliath like ESPN) and they get to showcase the non-major sports much more than other conference channels do. The reason is to support the schools and the athletes. If your kid was an elite water polo player and had their choice of colleges all across the country, why wouldn't you give extra consideration to attending a school that actually gets those matches televised? This consideration just re-enforces the strength of those second tier sports in the Pac-12. Obviously, this is what the schools of the Pac-12 consider "important", but not what DirecTV does.

Every major conference can get their football games on TV, so there really isn't any need for these new channels, but Football = Ratings, and right now SEC has that, so they're trying to cash in. I don't think they'll have much trouble getting their network onto DTV. But who knows, DISH seems to be the ones truly embracing college sports, while DTV focuses on the pros.

No, you got it backwards. They did what they did to try to enhance the other sports. They even said so. They didn't consider them important. They were trying to elevate them even just a little.

But it didn't sell to everyone. Why? Because outside football, the channels are not important enough for the baggage that comes with multiple channels 24x7.

I want the PAC 12 channel. But if I don't have it, oh well. I will be more interested in the sec channel? Why? Football.

As for your last statement. Huh? Just on PAC 12? Don't say sec as they will both have it.

Edited by tonyd79, 18 March 2014 - 06:41 PM.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#219 ONLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:36 AM

I think college football is corrupt everywhere.

Yes, but more so in the South.

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#220 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:36 AM

Yes, but more so in the South.

As in University of Southern California?

• bwaldron and boukengreen like this

#221 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

As in University of Southern California?

As in Paul Dee and the crooks from the south that ignored the NCAAs own rules and procedures to unfairly punish USC, yeah. But hey, it sure ended up helping the SEC to neuter the best team in the west.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#222 OFFLINE   kaygirl

kaygirl

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:47 PM

I like Directv too, but if they don't carry the SEC network, we are going back to Dish.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#223 OFFLINE   BigJ52

BigJ52

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

Gulfport, Mississippi wants their SEC Network!

Their city council just  passed a resolution demanding the SEC Network. I wonder if Directv thorougly understands what they will be dealing with in the South if they don't get an agreement done in time. These aren't "normal" fans they will be dealing with.

"GULFPORT -- Whereas football is akin to religion in the South, Saturday is a holy day of sorts because of college football and Gulfport has its share of rabid fans."

http://www.sunherald...councilman.html

#224 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

Gulfport, Mississippi wants their SEC Network!

Their city council just  passed a resolution demanding the SEC Network. I wonder if Directv thorougly understands what they will be dealing with in the South if they don't get an agreement done in time. These aren't "normal" fans they will be dealing with.

"GULFPORT -- Whereas football is akin to religion in the South, Saturday is a holy day of sorts because of college football and Gulfport has its share of rabid fans."

http://www.sunherald...councilman.html

It is big down south but I think there were similar resolutions over the PAC 12 Network, CSN Northwest...

Resolutions by government bodies are just posturing for the local public. Brings zero pressure on anyone. It is just a way for Councilman Foghorn to tell the little people he is with them.

#225 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,369 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:11 PM

Oh no... not the city council!!!!!!!!! :rotfl:

• fireponcoal and Laxguy like this

Protected By... spam firewall...And...