Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SEC Network

• Please log in to reply
769 replies to this topic

#161 ONLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:56 AM

The NFL is what sets Directv apart from all other cable and satellite providers due to its NFL exclusivity.  I'm not arguing about the relative popularity of the college game versus the pro game, which as you point, is regional.  But Directv's signature product is its ability to deliver every NFL game to you every Sunday.  Other providers provide the same college service (or better).  Nobody comes close on the NFL.

also most out of market games in HD (Few cable systems have all of the iN DEMAND HD feeds) and directv has most games with DUAL HD feeds.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,124 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:32 AM

I was just using that as an example of how the deals may differ.

I know one thing that did differ is the fact that the deal included Dish being able to carry ESPN/Disney owned channels in HD that they didn't have including some that they did carry that were pulled previously (all of which D* has been carrying for a while now).  ESPNEWS HD, ESPNU HD, Disney Channel HD and ABC Family HD were listed in the PR, and the new launches such as Disney Junior, SECN, LHN, Fusion, ESPN GL/BB will very likely be added in HD at launch. Disney XD HD and ESPN Deportes HD weren't listed in the PR but will probably be added in HD as well. 

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#163 OFFLINE   antykon

antykon

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

I know one thing that did differ is the fact that the deal included Dish being able to carry ESPN/Disney owned channels in HD that they didn't have including some that they did carry that were pulled previously (all of which D* has been carrying for a while now).  ESPNEWS HD, ESPNU HD, Disney Channel HD and ABC Family HD were listed in the PR, and the new launches such as Disney Junior, SECN, LHN, Fusion, ESPN GL/BB will very likely be added in HD at launch. Disney XD HD and ESPN Deportes HD wasn't listed in the PR but will probably be added in HD as well. 

I don't think Goal Line and Buzzer Beater are available in HD at all.

#164 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,124 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

I don't think Goal Line and Buzzer Beater are available in HD at all.

They actually are available in 720p HD from there distributor, granted they are only part time channels.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#165 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

The other main difference between Pac12 and SECN is that's it's only ONE channel. Not a range of channels like BTN.

Sent from Raider Nation using my Moto X

Pac12 is the one that's the range of channels (seven full time channels, I believe) BTN is only one channel, with overflow channels that open up only when there are multiple games on at once. The SEC Network will work the same way, one channel with overflows when multiple games are on at the same time.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#166 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:32 PM

That would require ALL of the providers to stand up and do it, but since some of those providers also own sports networks I don't see it happening anytime soon.

If a post-merger Comcast+TWC is the only one carrying high priced pro team RSNs because the satellite and other cable operators refuse, they have to bear the entire cost of what they're paying to the pro teams for the rights. Their contracts were made based on the idea those RSNs would be widely distributed but that may not end up going the way they planned.

If they try to pass on those high costs they'll lose subscribers who don't care about sports - a vicious cycle as the more of them leave the higher the per subscriber cost goes up so they need to increase prices further. If they don't pass on those costs, they'll be less profitable or even lose money, and the shareholders will not allow them to do such expensive deals ever again (possibly why the Dodgers wanted such a long deal with TWC)

If Comcast+TWC succeeds in pulling sports lovers from other providers by being the only one offering pro team RSNs in some major markets that hurts their negotiating position when they talk to conference networks, ESPN and Fox. If Comcast+TWC has been stealing a lot of subscribers from other providers to get the RSNs, they'll have a more sports heavy subscriber base than other providers. So why wouldn't Disney and everyone else sock it to them by asking for 2x the money they ask of other providers, because it'll be harder for them to say no because they would have more to lose than say Directv or Dish.

The more sports costs inflate Comcat+TWC's cost structure the more sports subscriber heavy their subscriber base becomes. I think Comcast+TWC may eventually implode if they pursue the strategy I think they're trying.

#167 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 656 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

http://www.awfulanno...d-strategy.html

The sports media bloggers are catching on that DirecTV is falling behind Dish now that this deal is done.  

From the article:  "This is an interesting development for many reasons, mainly because Dish seems to have found a strategy in adding sports subscribers from competitors, once a weakness for the company and something DTV (sic) had somewhat of a monopoly on."

As I have been saying for two years now, since D* passed on carrying the PAC 12 Net. 

Edited by sdk009, 05 March 2014 - 04:38 PM.

#168 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:16 PM

Except they have so far less than DIRECTV does today still overall.

A few new channels doesn't change the landscape. DIRECTV wasn't ahead by an inch. They where ahead by miles. Now it's only maybe a fee miles instead of lots but they are still plenty ahead. Especially when you consider that channel hasn't even launched yet.

#169 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 656 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

A few new channels doesn't change the landscape. DIRECTV wasn't ahead by an inch. They where ahead by miles. Now it's only maybe a fee miles instead of lots but they are still plenty ahead. Especially when you consider that channel hasn't even launched yet.

You say that over and over, so thanks to our friends at the AVS Fourm, I went to their HD carriage chart to compare (sports in SD isn't watchable, so I'm not counting those channels).  Dish's biggest shortfall is the New York market, where they don't carry any of the RSNs in HD as well as MASN.  The only other channels I see that they don't carry in HD is Fox Sports2 and Fox Sports+, which we all know D* only carries selected live events and is an ala carte channel.  So your comment has some merit, but if D* doesn't sign to carry the SEC, PAC 12, and the Longhorn Channels, you can no longer make that claim.  Next to the NFL, college football is a must have, and Dish will carry all of them. 

#170 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:44 PM

Key point is that they "were" ahead, and soon it will be very murky.  SEC network isn't a game danger for me personally, but if nothing changes in the current landscape, I'm gonna downgrade to the Entertainment package after the Clippers season ends (so I can ditch the ridiculous $3.63 Regional Sports Fee in LA) and then move to Dish for the Pac-12 network when my contract is up in the fall.  My parents and in-laws have already left DirecTV, so I'm one of the few remaining in my family.  

Looks like DTV is hitching their boat to the Lakers and more of the pro teams, while Dish is focusing on college.  Easy choice to me, since the only pros I watch are available via networks, MLB.TV and Prime Ticket.  The free Red Zone Channel DTV has given me the last few years will be hard to give up, but I'm sure I can get used to the NFL version on Dish.

#171 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:10 PM

You say that over and over, so thanks to our friends at the AVS Fourm, I went to their HD carriage chart to compare (sports in SD isn't watchable, so I'm not counting those channels).  Dish's biggest shortfall is the New York market, where they don't carry any of the RSNs in HD as well as MASN.  The only other channels I see that they don't carry in HD is Fox Sports2 and Fox Sports+, which we all know D* only carries selected live events and is an ala carte channel.  So your comment has some merit, but if D* doesn't sign to carry the SEC, PAC 12, and the Longhorn Channels, you can no longer make that claim.  Next to the NFL, college football is a must have, and Dish will carry all of them. 

That's a mighty big "if" to worry about Directv not announcing SECN yet, since it doesn't launch for nearly six months. Dish hasn't announced they're renewing BTN when it expires at the end of next season, should we worry about that too?

The Longhorn Network is a single team network that carries only one or two irrelevant games a year (it isn't like Texas/Oklahoma is on that channel) so it is hardly a pressing concern. Nevertheless, given that Dish agreed to carry it, Disney may force it on providers in order to get ESPN, so Directv may end up carrying it when they renew their deal with ESPN.

Dish doesn't "carry all of them", because I believe every Big 12 school now has their own team channel. We only hear about Longhorn Network because Texas is the biggest school in college sports, but even Iowa State has the "Cyclones.tv" channel which is carried on Mediacom in Iowa (in HD!) but pretty sure it'll never be carried by either Directv or Dish. I'm sure the same is true for channels from schools like Kansas, Baylor and Texas Tech. Even Texas is only able to win carriage deals via ESPN's muscle, if it wasn't for that it would still cover only 2% of Austin as it did during its first year of operation.

Edited by slice1900, 05 March 2014 - 07:11 PM.

#172 OFFLINE   BigJ52

BigJ52

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:36 PM

WJOX Sports Radio out of Birmingham:

@RyanBrownWJOX; We invited @DIRECTV on the @JOXRoundtable to discuss @SECNetwork intentions. They declined but shared this: pic.twitter.com/zS3jI1WmAG

BiAWjNvIMAEvQkJ.jpg

#173 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:15 AM

Other than my later post where I researched and found the contract expires on 9/30/2014 what part is inaccurate?

http://www.reuters.c...EA242GU20140306

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#174 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,658 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:29 AM

This paragraph doesn't seem accurate: 

The agreement between Dish and Disney marked the first time that a U.S. pay TV operator has been given the flexibility to offer its content over the Web through smartphones, tablets and computers outside of a pay TV subscription.

Perhaps if the word "live" were put in, it would be? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#175 OFFLINE   stevec328

stevec328

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:05 PM

For me personally, this is a deal breaker. I've been with DTV since 1999 and want to stay with them, but the SEC Network coverage will determine my provider come September. Not trying to sound like an a**,  but we've all got our priorities.

#176 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:34 AM

DirecTV's deal with ABC/Disney/ESPN is not up until next year. D*'s CEO Mike White previously stated he wasn't interested in renegotiating with Disney until the deal expires. So that means Dish subs now have all of the ESPN outlets, including ESPN3 & WatchESPN, as well as the Longhorn and upcoming SEC Networks. Add this to DirecTV's stand not to carry the PAC12 Net, it has only NFLST to hang its hat on claiming to be the sports leader.
Twitter comments, though not a scientific poll, show that many D* subs would rather have access to College Football than NFLST, so DirecTV really needs to step or be left behind.

Anyone really believe customers want the SEC Network with third-rate games more than Sunday Ticket?
  • DCSholtis likes this

#177 OFFLINE   jle1639

jle1639

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts
  • Locationdothan al

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:53 AM

AUG I WILL BE MY CUT OFF DATE IF DIRECTV HAS NOT PICK UP THE SEC CHANNEL.

#178 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:50 PM

Anyone really believe customers want the SEC Network with third-rate games more than Sunday Ticket?

ESPN is half owner of SEC Network, and they have the first tier broadcast rights with the SEC. So they have every incentive to make sure there aren't just third rate games on SECN, but also some first rate games. A SEC fan would miss a lot more not having SECN than a Pac 12 fan would miss not having Pac 12 Network.

It is almost certain that Disney/ESPN will tie SEC Network to renewals of carriage for ESPN and the Disney channels. If Directv doesn't get a deal done they'd have much bigger problems than not having SECN - they won't have ESPN! I'm sure they won't let that happen, so I think it is a question of when, not if, Directv will announce a deal to carry SECN.

#179 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

ESPN is half owner of SEC Network, and they have the first tier broadcast rights with the SEC. So they have every incentive to make sure there aren't just third rate games on SECN, but also some first rate games. A SEC fan would miss a lot more not having SECN than a Pac 12 fan would miss not having Pac 12 Network.

It is almost certain that Disney/ESPN will tie SEC Network to renewals of carriage for ESPN and the Disney channels. If Directv doesn't get a deal done they'd have much bigger problems than not having SECN - they won't have ESPN! I'm sure they won't let that happen, so I think it is a question of when, not if, Directv will announce a deal to carry SECN.

Let's wait till the end of the season and compare and then decide if that's actually true. I think the big games will still mostly be on CBS as usual.

#180 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:22 PM

CBS continues with first choice rights every weekend starting the 3rd-4th week of the season

The ratings say yes

Edited by DawgLink, 13 March 2014 - 07:25 PM.

spam firewall