Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

OTA Antenna

OTA antennas

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   myselfalso

myselfalso

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:04 AM

I have an OTA antenna that I have hooked up to my D* box, and it does an okay job. It's able to pick up all of the local channels, but some of the more distant ones tend to be a bit choppy.

I'm considering buying a new antenna and I'm looking for suggestions. I'm looking for an upgrade to what I've got now - something that won't have the choppy interference. I'm also curious to know if it's possible to have an antenna that could pick up out of market signals (from Baltimore or Philly, for example).

I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 2005.

A few channels I'd still like to see DirecTV add are:
CSPAN3, the PAC-12 Network(s), BBC World and more international news channels.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 600 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:23 AM

You're not going to be able to get much help because nobody knows where you live, what kind of antenna you have currently, or where you have it installed.

In general, 60 miles is the limit for reliable reception over average terrain.  Beyond that, you're counting on the troposphere to help you out because the curvature of the earth gets in the way of line-of-sight reception.  Now, if you're up higher than average terrain (or put up a tower to get above that average terrain) and don't have many things around to block the signal (trees, buildings) you can beat the average by a little, but I wouldn't count on you getting a consistent signal from much more than 75 miles away without going to extreme measures.  There will be times, maybe even a lot of the time, where the troposphere will help you out, but it will not be 24x7 for all channels at that distance.

Baltimore and Philadelphia both have VHF channels as well as UHF, which has a longer range in theory, but also require a much larger antenna.  IIRC, WPVI is on channel 6, so you're even going to need a lo-VHF antenna, and those things are very large.

As a starting point, you're going to need a rotor and something like a Winegard HD8200P, as well as a 28dB preamplifier like the Winegard AP-8780. The fewer splits you can do, the better.  And you're going to want to mount that beast up as high as possible, at least 10' above the local tree line (you can ignore trees more than 1/10 mile away.)  Forget it if you live in a valley.

Plug your address into the signal finder at TVFool and figure anything below -100 for signal strength is going to be intermittant at best.  Anything in the -90 range is going to take a very large and powerful solution.  -80 or better should be easily doable.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

sites: antennaweb, tvfool, rabbitears are your guide to new antenna's world

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,977 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

As sregener points out, "distant" is relative.  Greater than 60 miles may be a pipe dream for many as the digital signals often don't travel as far.  Much of this has to do with many stations transitioning to UHF frequencies.

Knowing why you think you should be able to receive more channels may also be helpful if your zip code is too much of an invasion of privacy.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

IIRC, WPVI is on channel 6, so you're even going to need a lo-VHF antenna, and those things are very large.

They are, and you do, and I can't even bother to try to get them anymore. They're only 20.7 miles from me and unless I grab a huge mother, I'm still not picking it up. I wish they were back on their temporary UHF 64 but that's not possible anymore...

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#6 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

As P. Smith said check out those sites.  We can all offer our advice but not knowing where your house is, what's near by it is really tough.  I recently moved less than a 1/4 mile and went from being able to pull in 5 stations via an outdoor antenna (not a yagi) to -0- stations.  What it comes down to is what antenna you choose, where you mount it, and what is nearby.  You will often hear "This antenna can pull channels from 60 miles away."  That may be true but that's in a clear LOS type set up, add in trees, mountains, windmills etc and it makes it very tough to pull a channel.

#7 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 726 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:08 PM

I can receive channels from  Baltimore, Washington and Philly, but the Philly channels aren't very reliable.  I am in Fallston, MD and have a large newer UHF antenna combined with a large old VHF antenna in my attic.  I have it pointed toward Baltimore & Washington (both are in a straight line from my house).  A rotor seems like it would be a hassle since I have timers set for OTA.  I get all of the Baltimore channels, most of the DC channels and WGAL (Lancaster, PA) reliably.  I receive WPVI & WPHL (Philadelphia) many evenings during the summer, when the atmosphere is right, but almost never during the winter.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#8 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:12 AM

I agree that mileage estimates are worthless when comparing antennas.  dBd or dBi figures (and it pays to know which is being used, since manufacturers often only list "dB" without saying which measurement they're using) are the only reliable way to compare performance across antenna manufacturers.  Check HDTVPrimer dot com for their chart that compares many commonly available antennas and you'll see that it isn't even that simple, as performance across the DTV spectrum can vary widely between antennas.

And yes, using a rotor can be a pain when you have OTA timers set up, as you have to be rather careful about where your antenna is pointed.  However, if you truly need to turn your antenna to receive certain channels, and the content on those channels makes it worth doing, then a rotor can be the cheapest option.  Those multiple-antenna + filter setups the cable companies and large apartment complexes sometimes use cost well north of $1000.  A quality rotor is only $100.

#9 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:10 PM

Another option, if possible is to move the antennas outside so the signal is not attenuated by the building materials it has to penetrate to get to your antenna.

You could potentially more than double the signal at the antenna, just by going up on th eroof.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#10 OFFLINE   renegade

renegade

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

Those multiple-antenna + filter setups the cable companies and large apartment complexes sometimes use cost well north of $1000.  A quality rotor is only $100.

Nonsense.  Two small antennas, a combiner and a preamp can be had for les than $200.  I have two antennas setup this way and pointed at two markets, and I receive more than 30 channels.

• tsmacro likes this

Dish 1000.4 Eastern Arc: 61.5/72.7/77 with 119 wing dish
3 - ViP 211k/1TB external drive
Solo 508 DVR - Let's Pay More Fees! <-retired
Solo 301E <-retired

subscriber since 2/2000
AT200/Superstations/East-West distant nets
HD for Life since 3/2011
OTA antennas pointed at two markets: 32 channels
dedicated to getting Superstations in HD on Dish Network

#11 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

Nonsense.  Two small antennas, a combiner and a preamp can be had for les than $200.  I have two antennas setup this way and pointed at two markets, and I receive more than 30 channels.

Me too. My second antenna is pointed at a broadcaster in the same market that is located in a different area.

#12 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

If you do not want a monster VHF low antenna, try an FM antenna for channel 6, channel 6 is just below the FM band.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma

#13 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 726 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

Do you have a diagram for that?  Is it really as easy as plugging in two antennas to a splitter/combiner?  Is it a special combiner?  Any other special equipment needed?

I would like to add an antenna pointed toward Philly.

#14 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

Combining a VHF-high antenna with a UHF antenna can be done with either a UVSJ (UHF/VHF signal joiner - <$5) or with a preamplifier that has both UHF and VHF inputs (~$65).

Single band UHF and VHF fringe antennas are available for about $65 and $40 respectively.

Rotators can be had for $60 to $160 or more.

#15 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 726 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:00 PM

I thought that Renegade was referring to connecting two UHF/VHF antennas together pointed at different directions.  I currently have a UHF/VHF combiner, but both antennas are both pointed toward Baltimore & Washington.  

• renegade likes this

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:10 PM

it doesn't matter where your antennas pointing, it's matter of matching impedance

perhaps of phase shift in case of same freq and same stations if you like make synphase multi-beams antenna

#17 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

I use a Winegard Y1713 for VHF high and a PR8800 for UHF, plus a CM7777 preamp.  It works like a charm, here in upper New York State.  I also have a rotor on a 30' tower.  I can get four different markets and a number of nearby Canadian channels, as well.

#18 OFFLINE   renegade

renegade

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

Do you have a diagram for that?  Is it really as easy as plugging in two antennas to a splitter/combiner?  Is it a special combiner?  Any other special equipment needed?

I would like to add an antenna pointed toward Philly.

Yes.  The combiner that I used to combine my antennas is really nothing more than a splitter in reverse.  I have two small EZ-HD antennas, connected with short, equal-length cables to the combiner, then to a Winegard preamplifier, then a 50-foot downlead to the power inserter and distribution point in my crawlspace.  It drives six televisions with no problems.  Your mileage may vary.

Dish 1000.4 Eastern Arc: 61.5/72.7/77 with 119 wing dish
3 - ViP 211k/1TB external drive
Solo 508 DVR - Let's Pay More Fees! <-retired
Solo 301E <-retired

subscriber since 2/2000
AT200/Superstations/East-West distant nets
HD for Life since 3/2011
OTA antennas pointed at two markets: 32 channels
dedicated to getting Superstations in HD on Dish Network

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OTA, antennas

Protected By... spam firewall...And...