Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why does Genie require an Internet connection?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:39 AM

The only reason I ask is because our favorite tv tech "expert" Swanni says no internet connection is necessary for Genie to work with its clients. So i'm wondering, IF that's the case, why does it even have the option to hook up to my "network"? What service does Genie provide that does require an internet connection?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:46 AM

"swannie" is spot in!, internet is not required but having one will give access to many "connected" features like Video On Demand, TV apps, live TV watching via tablet & smartphone apps, GenieGo (Nomad), PPV among many others

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:18 AM

If not the internet, then you should hook up a phone line to your boxes per the TOS.

Phone Connections. For optimal performance of your Receiving Equipment, including ordering with your remote control or receiving certain Services, your box or boxes must be directly connected to the same land-based telephone line or internet connection. If you add Service on additional TVs, you may purchase a separate subscription for each additional TV, or, if all your boxes are continuously connected to the same land-based telephone line, we can “mirror” programming to your additional TVs and charge you only the fee amount described in Section 2. You agree to provide true and accurate information about the location of your boxes. If we detect that any box is not regularly connected to a land-based telephone line or internet connection, we may investigate and, if it is determined that the box is not at the location identified on your account, we may disconnect the box or charge you the full programming subscription price for the box.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:45 AM

The TOS do not state that you must be connected to the Internet or a land line. They state that for optimal performance it must be (which for a phone line is debatable). If it's not they can investigate, but if everything is found as it should be, based on this text, you are not in violation by not having it connected.

#5 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

Sentence two of the TOS above is a good reason to be connected to either the Internet or phone. Yes, I've never heard of them enforcing it, but that doesn't mean they won't.

#6 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

The Genie does not require internet if you were told this the agent was misinformed. When ordering you either have to select the cinema connection ethernet kit or the whole home offer usually priced at 199 if you do not have it already or the system will not process the order. The CCK is selected by defualt. The internet option is cheaper and gives some great options like On Demand, Facebook, TV Apps, Pandora, etc.

Edited by Volatility, 03 May 2013 - 03:37 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

I've read a couple of articles about this; Mr. Swann is not necessarily the last word on all things technical and there are other articles on the subject out there. 

I'll lay it out for you quickly: 

-You do not need to be internet connected, ever. You lose features if you're not, but it's not a requirement. 

-HOWEVER, if the tech does not connect you to the internet he doesn't get paid the full amount.

So be courteous, take the connection and if you don't want it, unplug it after he leaves. 

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

I've read a couple of articles about this; Mr. Swann is not necessarily the last word on all things technical and there are other articles on the subject out there. 

I'll lay it out for you quickly: 

-You do not need to be internet connected, ever. You lose features if you're not, but it's not a requirement. 

-HOWEVER, if the tech does not connect you to the internet he doesn't get paid the full amount.

So be courteous, take the connection and if you don't want it, unplug it after he leaves. 

In the past, the techs asked that I connect a phone line to a receiver for around 48 hours since I didn't have a connection for D*. I ran a long cable along the floo,r and then I took it off. If they provide a free CCK, I'll connect, but I won't pay for one.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#9 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,305 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

The TOS do not state that you must be connected to the Internet or a land line. They state that for optimal performance it must be (which for a phone line is debatable). If it's not they can investigate, but if everything is found as it should be, based on this text, you are not in violation by not having it connected.

Quite my reading, too, and I played a lawyer once.....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:13 PM

If not the internet, then you should hook up a phone line to your boxes per the TOS.

While this has been on the "TOS" for ions it as never been enforced and very doubtful they ever will

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

The internet option is cheaper and gives some great options like On Demand, Facebook, TV Apps, Pandora, etc.

Hmm, a lousy Facebook interface, indeed.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

When I first was installed, the tech only had a wired CCK and said there was no such thing as a wireless CCK, and he wanted to charge me extra to run the cables to my router.  At that point I saw no advantage for me to have the CCK,  so I didn't accept t.  However, if they throw a wireless one in at no cost, I'll let them do it.  Otherwise, I'll just run a phone line for a day or two to one of the boxes and then disconnect it.  That's what I've done in the past.

In the past, the techs asked that I connect a phone line to a receiver for around 48 hours since I didn't have a connection for D*. I ran a long cable along the floo,r and then I took it off. If they provide a free CCK, I'll connect, but I won't pay for one.

You're very adamant about getting a free one aren't you?  :)

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#13 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:22 AM

You're very adamant about getting a free one aren't you?  :)

I'm adamant about not paying for something I don't need.  I've done without it all this time,  I can continue to do without it. What's wrong with that?

Edited by n3vino, 04 May 2013 - 07:26 AM.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

While this has been on the "TOS" for ions it as never been enforced and very doubtful they ever will

I think someone that refuses to let a tech see a box, or some of the posters I've seen on here have more to worry about (not is thread).

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

I think someone that refuses to let a tech see a box, or some of the posters I've seen on here have more to worry about (not is thread).

Right on!
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

You're kidding!  I don't have always-on broadband internet preferring to use a wireless USB modem with my computer so my R22 doesn't have internet access.  So if I upgrade to a Genie and HD the poor installer will get docked??

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

You're kidding!  I don't have always-on broadband internet preferring to use a wireless USB modem with my computer so my R22 doesn't have internet access.  So if I upgrade to a Genie and HD the poor installer will get docked??

They "us" get pay extra to install the CCK.  but they  "us" have a percentage of install/upgrade/service calls that we must get connected to the internet.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

Exactly.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#19 OFFLINE   shoelessjoe

shoelessjoe

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:44 PM

Sentence two of the TOS above is a good reason to be connected to either the Internet or phone. Yes, I've never heard of them enforcing it, but that doesn't mean they won't.

What if a subscriber doesn't have a land line (many people use cell phones instead) or internet? Could that mean they wouldn't be able to get service. I say this because my dad is in this situation. He does currently have internet (and a cell phone), but we are thinking of cancelling it because he doesn't use it much and they just had a price increase.

Edited by shoelessjoe, 04 May 2013 - 10:44 PM.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:17 AM

What if a subscriber doesn't have a land line (many people use cell phones instead) or internet? Could that mean they wouldn't be able to get service.

Nope, you don't need nether to get the service..  so you will be perfectly fine.  You wont be the only person without phone or internet.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...