Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why does Genie require an Internet connection?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

I'm STILL confused!!! No, seriously, the "great options" that come with an internet connection are causing me to barely stifle a yawn. No one told me either way about having or not having it connected to the internet, I was just wondering why when you don't need it. TOS, pish posh!! Who reads those? *burp*

Anyway, I appreciate the fact that so many of you like to weigh in on my rather pointless posts  :righton:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

I'm adamant about not paying for something I don't need.  I've done without it all this time,  I can continue to do without it. What's wrong with that?

I was just noticing you kept making sure it was known you wouldn't pay for one.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#23 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

I was just noticing you kept making sure it was known you wouldn't pay for one.

Is that what you got from my posts?  How about, "I don't need or have a use for one.  Or, if you don't have one, you can connect a phone line to a receiver for a couple of days so the tech can be paid.  Or how about, I don't have D* connected to the internet, and they haven't complained.  Or how about, I didn't get the free one when I was first installed because they guy didn't have a wireless one, and I saw no need to pay extra to run wires to my modem, since I really had no use for it.

I'm getting a genie on Saturday, and I plan on moving one of my 25's into my Granddaughter's bedroom, and I don't mind paying to have cables installed to connect it.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#24 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

I'm STILL confused!!! No, seriously, the "great options" that come with an internet connection are causing me to barely stifle a yawn.

Keep in mind that Video On Demand is not the same as Pay Per View (although there are PPV programs that are available as VOD).  To me, the ability to still watch a show that I didn't think to record when it initially aired is a great feature that is only available with an Internet connection.

#25 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,420 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

I'm STILL confused!!! No, seriously, the "great options" that come with an internet connection are causing me to barely stifle a yawn. No one told me either way about having or not having it connected to the internet, I was just wondering why when you don't need it. TOS, pish posh!! Who reads those? *burp*

Anyway, I appreciate the fact that so many of you like to weigh in on my rather pointless posts  :righton:

I generally don't use the Internet functions much, but it is good for On Demand. We caught up on Game of Thrones through it. I've done the same for a few shows where for one reason or another I missed an episode.

#26 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 364 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

Got my genie upgrade today.  The tech had me connect a phone line to one of the receivers for 24 hours since I don't have a CCK.  He did a lazy job on installing the SWM 16 box.  He put it on the roof by the dish mount, with no cover, exposed to the weather.  I don't know why It didn't dawn on me to have him put it under the eaves.  He secured the cables to the Mount legs.  It doesn't look bad since it's on the side of the house and not visible from the street, but I wonder if eventually the swm box could be damaged by weather.   I went up to see if I could move it myself, but I found the cables from the dish to the swm 16 box were short.  The cables from the dish to the box are pig tailed, but I didn't want to mess with those. Is there some sort of cover or box that I can put on it. 

I did pay him to fish a cable to one of the bedrooms where I had the extra H25 installed.  He almost did a sloppy job there.  He ran a cable from the attic through the wall straight to the receiver.  But I told him I wanted a wall connector instead.  He did that.  I personally moved and connected the receivers where I wanted them, including the HR34,HR24, and the H25,  while he set up the cables on the dish and in the attic.  He then checked them all out and did his thing on all the receivers.  Seems like everything is working good. 

(Update Sunday Morning)Went up In the attic after the tech left and saw that he ran the cable from behind the furnace/blower/duct connector box, went under the unit and accross the floor where it will be walked on all over by A/C service men.  The cable had no slack, so I couldn't even tape it down.  He's on his way to fix it. He also said there was no problem with the SWM box on the roof because  they are built to be outside. I'll see if he can move it under the eaves if it's not a big deal to do so.

Edited by n3vino, 12 May 2013 - 06:54 AM.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

#27 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 364 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

Tech came by and moved the cable out of the way. I checked and the signal to that receiver is very good. He also re-assured me that the swm box was o.k. on the roof. He said they do them like that all the time. BTW, today is his day off, and he came by on the way to do something he had to do. 

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

#28 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

I generally don't use the Internet functions much, but it is good for On Demand. We caught up on Game of Thrones through it. I've done the same for a few shows where for one reason or another I missed an episode.

On Demand is mostly low def, even shows that are broadcast in HD, which renders it practically useless for me, anyway. Uh oh, feel another unstifled yawn coming on ;)

#29 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

On Demand is mostly low def, even shows that are broadcast in HD, which renders it practically useless for me, anyway. Uh oh, feel another unstifled yawn coming on ;)

All the on demand content from most of the premiums, the Viacom channels, Scripps, A&E networks, OWN, AXS, Reelz, Audience, and the HD Extra channels are in HD.

Edited by KyL416, 12 May 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#30 ONLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 796 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

Tech came by and moved the cable out of the way. I checked and the signal to that receiver is very good. He also re-assured me that the swm box was o.k. on the roof. He said they do them like that all the time. BTW, today is his day off, and he came by on the way to do something he had to do. 

They are weatherproof. I've had mine outside for the past year plus. That's why they have those rubber seals around each of the ports.

SWiM16.jpg

Edited by JBv, 12 May 2013 - 01:56 PM.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

spam firewall