Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GenieGo - $99 at Solid Signal

Nomad GenieGo

Best Answer Stuart Sweet , 03 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

I can say for certain it is the same model, which is the current version. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:36 AM

I'm thinking about taking the Nomad/GenieGo plunge today if this is the new price point..  Is the $99 model (MDR1R0-01) the current version? I see they have a $149 model that was discontinued. The DirecTV website is still selling it for $150.

http://www.solidsign...search=1&cart=0

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,236 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:46 AM

I'm thinking about taking the Nomad/GenieGo plunge today if this is the new price point..  Is the $99 model (MDR1R0-01) the current version? I see they have a $149 model that was discontinued. The DirecTV website is still selling it for $150.

http://www.solidsign...search=1&cart=0

I don't think anything changed other than the name.  That is the most current version.

• mws192 likes this

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#3 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

New customers can add a Genie Go to thier account for $99, at least in my market. So they get a HR44, 3 C41's and a Genie Go for $99 plus NFL Sunday Ticket. All tech delivered and setup. Internet service required. We got the Genie Gos in last week. Whare House manager has them under lock and key.

HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:10 AM   Best Answer

I can say for certain it is the same model, which is the current version. 

• Steve likes this
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   bakerfall

bakerfall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:04 AM

It's worth a call into retention before buying one, I got one for free with very little effort.

HR20-700 (w/1 TB eSATA drive), HR24-500 x3, HR22-100, SWM-16, DECA

#6 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

It's worth a call into retention before buying one, I got one for free with very little effort.

With a 2 year contract????

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!
My current setup can be found here!

#7 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

AFAIK, since it's considered an accessory there is no commitment for adding it.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#8 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

AFAIK, since it's considered an accessory there is no commitment for adding it.

No but a commitment to get it for free from retentions?

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!
My current setup can be found here!

#9 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,362 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

I think an accessory is an accessory. I didn't get my nomad free, but I did get two free AM21s.  And there was no additional commitment required.

#10 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

lol why does everyone mention retention? They are just there to handle cancellation request. The equipment departments can order one just as well and if they aren't able to waive the cost their TL can based off your account. They are willing to work with you too as they get bonuses from ordering equipment. If you are going to use your GenieGo to watch recordings in home-I would recommend using the DirecTV2PC to supplement along with the GenieGo. I noticed the picture and sound quality is not as good as using Directv2pc for in home streaming as it has to stream from your hddvr receiver to the GenieGo to your device whereas the directv2pc is directly the hddvr receiver to your device. The GenieGo is perfect though for watching recordings outside your house (as its the only option currently).

Edited by Volatility, 17 May 2013 - 10:12 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

lol why does everyone mention retention? 

Perhaps because they are the only ones that can get "stuff" done, since their job is to keep the customer from canceling….

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   bakerfall

bakerfall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

Perhaps because they are the only ones that can get "stuff" done, since their job is to keep the customer from canceling….

Exactly.  Good luck getting a regular CSR to be able to provide a free anything.  

I didn't beg, I didn't threaten, I just talked to people with the ability to do anything.  I called and asked, and they provided it.  It was just a suggestion.

#13 OFFLINE   bakerfall

bakerfall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

No but a commitment to get it for free from retentions?

There was no contract extension.

#14 OFFLINE   cmalberto

cmalberto

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

I bought one - came in yesterday - seems to work as designed. Open box, plug into network and power...fire up a mobile client(Mac and iPad) - worked as designed. 

Just getting used...gotta get my work flow down. 16gb=20 hrs or plug in a 32gb flash drive or other portable drive I guess. More wondering if there was a way to auto-transcode everything(step 1) and then watch/download when need. The only downside I see is the 30 day window may or may not be enough for longer term viewing....if that remains my only challenge, I will be good to go. 

-Mickey

• RAD likes this

#15 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

I bought one - came in yesterday - seems to work as designed. Open box, plug into network and power...fire up a mobile client(Mac and iPad) - worked as designed.

Just getting used...gotta get my work flow down. 16gb=20 hrs or plug in a 32gb flash drive or other portable drive I guess. More wondering if there was a way to auto-transcode everything(step 1) and then watch/download when need. The only downside I see is the 30 day window may or may not be enough for longer term viewing....if that remains my only challenge, I will be good to go.

-Mickey

No way to auto transcode everything.

The 30 day rule is only for things transferred to a device. As long as the original recording is on the HD DVR the the transcoded copy will still be on the GenieGo hardware.

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

No way to auto transcode everything.

actually you can set the "auto download series" button to have recordings waiting for you to be transferred 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

actually you can set the "auto download series" button to have recordings waiting for you to be transferred

Are you sure about this?  That isn't how it used to work.  You could set stuff to auto download, but that wouldn't make it auto transcode.  You would have to start up the Nomad app every now and then so it would tell the Nomad to start transcoding stuff.  Then you could close the app and wait for it all to transcode, then when you open the app again it would be ready for transfer (you didn't have to have the app open the whole time for both the transcode and transfer steps, only the transfer step).

As far as I know they Nomad won't begin transcoding anything unless one of the registered devices tells it to.

I have gotten around this by putting the app on my PC and leaving it run on there all the time (computer is on 24/7).  Then I have my PC set up to auto-download all of my TV series.  That way as soon as something is done recording the PC sees the new recording and tells the Nomad to start transcoding it and transfer it to the PC.  That way whenever I start up Nomad on any of my iPhone or iPads all of my series are already transcoded and sitting on the Nomad.  I just have to tell it which recordings to transfer to which device.  I have had a 320GB FreeAgent GoFlex drive hooked up to my Nomad since day 1, so I have plenty of room on it for all my recordings without having to worry about it auto-deleting anything to make more room.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#18 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

Works for me that way. Have auto download set up for a bunch of recordings/SL's. When I start a client, whenever, the stuff automatically starts to download if the client is the one that set up the auto download or is ready to download on the other clients.
  • cmalberto likes this

#19 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

I talked to a CSR from the protection plan unit the other day, she said I could not get one for free, but I could get one for $50.. Hey for 1/2 price I'll take a chance.. :) Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

#20 OFFLINE   cmalberto

cmalberto

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

Works for me that way. Have auto download set up for a bunch of recordings/SL's. When I start a client, whenever, the stuff automatically starts to download if the client is the one that set up the auto download or is ready to download on the other clients.

This has been my experience too. In fact if I initiate from my iPad, it will already be transcoded when I get back and I have the option to NOT download. That leaves the transcoded version in the queue if I choose to download on some other device later. 

--Mickey

Protected By... spam firewall...And...