Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question how how Genie client communicates

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   awalt

awalt

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

I am looking into Genie and how it works. I had a question I could not find the answer to, I thought it might be in the First Look for the Genie client but that link is broken;

I have a TV not on the DTV system because I cannot easily run a cable there. How does a TV with a Genie client communicate with the main Genie receiver - wireless? network cable? through satellite other?

I am wondering if Genie is a way to bring DTV to this isolated TV. Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,850 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:14 AM

You still need a coax run to the client location.

#3 OFFLINE   awalt

awalt

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

Thank you Carl!

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,531 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

While the Genie Mini is limited to using DECA over coax, all other RVU client devices (TVs only at this time) use conventional network cabling.

Wireless is considered unsuitable for WHDS traffic.  DIRECTV offers it exclusively for making connections to the Internet.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:15 AM

But he could technically hook up a DECA unit in reverse using a DECA power supply and a wifi bridge. Just not sure it'd work reliably over wifi, but that all depends on how far it is from the wireless router and how robust and stable his signal is. If he has those items there already it may be worth a shot to test.
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#6 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,339 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:33 AM

In spite of Harsh's 'expert' but somewhat inaccurate advice, I've been using a C31 client hooked only to a WCCK without a problem. Whole Home and MRV work very nicely over my 5GHz wireless.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,684 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:51 AM

In my experience, whole home via wireless only works well in one direction, wired on server, wireless on client.

#8 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,339 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

Pre DECA, I easily had 4 streams (plus 2 VOD downloads) going wirelessly with no problems. 2 in / 2 out between 2 HR2xes wireless in the bedroom, 2 HR2xes wired in the living room. This was using a WGA600N bridge in the bedroom to a WRT-600N running dd-wrt router.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,701 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

I am looking into Genie and how it works. I had a question I could not find the answer to, I thought it might be in the First Look for the Genie client but that link is broken;

I have a TV not on the DTV system because I cannot easily run a cable there. How does a TV with a Genie client communicate with the main Genie receiver - wireless? network cable? through satellite other?

I am wondering if Genie is a way to bring DTV to this isolated TV. Thanks!

Coax would be best.

Ethernet would be next, using a DECA to the Client.

Wireless to a wireless CCK [DECA] has worked, but there are more variables to this so this may or may not work for you. 

A.K.A VOS

spam firewall