Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What kind of dish to get?

dish satellites LNB additional dish satellite programing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jammer0910

jammer0910

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts
  • LocationN.E. Oklahoma

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

I am trying to hook up an additional dish to an outbuilding to avoid burying 200’ of coax so I can watch Directv in the shop. My dish on the house is an AU9 Slimline. I need to get another dish for the shop but I’m totally confused as to which one to get. I found a used Slimline locally for $10 but it only has one knob with 4 connectors. (My existing dish has 3 knobs with 4 connectors & a 4X8 MS for the other receivers in my home) and I’m wondering if the one knob dish would work with my DVR HR23-700. I am so confused about which dish will receive which satellites. I want to get my locals in HD and HD programming. I’m not interested in the Spanish channels.

Current setup at House:

Directv AU9 Slimline dish w/ Zinwell 4x8 multiswitch

1 - HR23-700 (will go to shop)

2 - HR24-100

1 - HR21-100

No SWM

Future setup in shop:

1 HDDVR

Thanks

John

John M.
My Setup: 2-HR24-100, 1-HR21-100, 1-HR23-700 - AU9Slimline dish - Zinwell WB-68 MS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,048 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

I am trying to hook up an additional dish to an outbuilding to avoid burying 200’ of coax so I can watch Directv in the shop. My dish on the house is an AU9 Slimline. I need to get another dish for the shop but I’m totally confused as to which one to get. I found a used Slimline locally for $10 but it only has one knob with 4 connectors. (My existing dish has 3 knobs with 4 connectors & a 4X8 MS for the other receivers in my home) and I’m wondering if the one knob dish would work with my DVR HR23-700. I am so confused about which dish will receive which satellites. I want to get my locals in HD and HD programming. I’m not interested in the Spanish channels.

Current setup at House:

Directv AU9 Slimline dish w/ Zinwell 4x8 multiswitch

1 - HR23-700 (will go to shop)

2 - HR24-100

1 - HR21-100

No SWM

Future setup in shop:

1 HDDVR

Thanks

John

The "one knob" AU9 dish is called a "Slimline-3" (SL-3) capable of receiving the 99,101, and 103 satellite positions. The "three knob" one on your house is a "Slimline-5" (SL-5) for receiving the 99. 101, 103, 110, 119 positions. The SL-3 will work just fine with an HR23-700 for all your HD channels, national and local. 

The only thing you could miss is if you have SD versions of your locals on 119 of which some do not have HD versions, you will not be able to receive them on the SL-3.

A rarity, but can happen in some situations.

Note: Remember to rerun the setup on the HR23 to select the SL-3 dish option so the 119 guide data will be correctly filtered out.

Edited by HoTat2, 03 May 2013 - 11:42 AM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#3 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,725 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

For future reference, what you're calling a "knob" is known as a "feed horn".

Be careful about putting a DVR in the shop if the shop isn't climate controlled.  Extreme ambient temperatures or wide temperature swings can significantly shorten (or even end) the life of a DVR.

Edited by harsh, 03 May 2013 - 11:43 AM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

Sometimes, not always, occasionally, once in a blue moon, more often than not, maybe once in ten times, you might have to run set up a few times, the boxes seem to be a little twitchy about  connecting to an SL3 after they've been connected to an SL5 for a while.

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,048 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

For future reference, what you're calling a "knob" is known as a "feed horn". ...

Yes, and what's confusing to many is that the dish with the "single knob" is actually housing three feed horns, which if you look carefully is why its oval shaped. A larger feed horn in the center for the 101 Ku-Band, and two smaller horns, one to either side, for the 99 and 103 Ka-Band. All under the same oval shaped protective weather cap.  

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,735 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

Sometimes, not always, occasionally, once in a blue moon, more often than not, maybe once in ten times, you might have to run set up a few times, the boxes seem to be a little twitchy about  connecting to an SL3 after they've been connected to an SL5 for a while.

I think this would apply when going from SWM to non-SWM. not from "regular" 3 to regular 5 LNBs

• studechip likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dish, satellites, LNB, additional dish, satellite programing

Protected By... spam firewall...And...