Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Any Apple TV users?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   talktalktalk

talktalktalk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

Genie upgrade coming for me next week, but I was wondering what could I do with my apple tv and this new system?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,000 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

I have a third gen Apple TV, but it's at a place where I can't get DIRECTV. My guess is there's not a lot you can do with merging the two systems. .... but! Enjoy them both!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,824 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

We have Genie and Apple TV. . . at present there's not much interaction, but they're both great. ATV and AirVideo have pretty much replaced media sharing on the HR for us. Movies / shows ripped on any storage go to AppleTV via Airplay from the iPad or iPhone.
  • JBv likes this

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#4 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

Airplay from some apps for iPhone or iPad (HBOGO for instance) to Apple TV.

If you have a newer Mac that supports Airplay mirroring and a GenieGo you can use Airplay Mirroring from the Mac to the Apple TV....

But yeah, if you have it at the same location as a DirecTV receiver there's not a whole lot they can do.

That being said, Airplay Mirroring + VLC is awesome! 1080p mkv files from my MBP to the Apple TV is pretty sweet.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

I have both the ATV 2 and 3 GEN.  While I like the fact that the 3 Gen ATV does 1080p, I never used it because it is not jail breakable.  I have a 2 Gen ATV that is jailbroken and it waaaaaayyyy better than the 3.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   talktalktalk

talktalktalk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:32 AM

What exactly is Airplay? and what is Jailbreak? and what is benefit of Gen 2 over Gen 3?

Sorry, I am new to these products.

#7 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:29 AM

AirPlay is Apple's method of sending audio / video wirelessly from devices with airplay (iPhone/iPad / Macs and others) to Apple TV connection. With AirVideo server (free) running on a PC, and AirVideo Client running on iPad (or iPhone), I can stream a movie ripped to any storage on my network via Airplay to the TV connected with AppleTV. Or something simple like playing your music from iPhone to your TV audio System.

Airplay is showing up in non-Apple products for audio or A/V.

Gen 2 is 780p, Gen3 (current) is 1080p.

Jailbreaking is a method to load non-Appstore apps and features to an iDevice. While not illegal it does present a problem with some Apple approved apps.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

Jailbreaking frees the Apple devices from Apple's strict limitations.  you can apply custom themes, fonts, tweaks, install apps that are not approved by  Apple.  it is basically freeing the iPhone from Apple "jail" or sandbox.  this is LEGAL and fully reversible, but trust me, once you jailbreak, you will never go back to stuck iOS.  I have not seen any problems with ANY apps because of a JB.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   TedBarrett

TedBarrett

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

I have a Genie and an ATV 3 plugged into the AV receiver. The ATV is great for streaming YouTube from the iPad. The Genie youtube app just isn't as easy to use. Also the ATV streams any iTunes purchased or rented videos and music from the Apple cloud servers. The AV receiver has vTuner but the iPad's TuneInRadio is far easier to use. We also dump the point and shoot camera to the iPad and look at the day's pics on the big screen via AirPlay and the ATV. Vimeo does AirPlay directly as do the HBO, SHO, and MAX apps but with watch now on demand getting so much better on the Genie that's not that big a deal. Many Apps have built in Airplay like Vimeo. In general it is the rare exception that something on the iPad can't be put up on the big screen and sound system via AirPlay and the Apple TV. And in those cases you can always mirror the screen but then you have to put up with the iPad's wonderfully weird aspect ratio.

My understanding is that the ATV 3 does 1080p while the ATV 2 is limited to 720. Never had a 2 so not sure.

Edited by TedBarrett, 04 May 2013 - 10:06 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   talktalktalk

talktalktalk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:52 PM

I have both the ATV 2 and 3 GEN.  While I like the fact that the 3 Gen ATV does 1080p, I never used it because it is not jail breakable.  I have a 2 Gen ATV that is jailbroken and it waaaaaayyyy better than the 3.

So I'm guessing that the apple tv we just bought from the apple store is obviously gen 3?

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:22 AM

So I'm guessing that the apple tv we just bought from the apple store is obviously gen 3?

Yep.  If you really want an Apple TV2, be ready to spend "big bucks" on eBay. These are going for almost $500.00

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:22 AM

My understanding is that the ATV 3 does 1080p while the ATV 2 is limited to 720. Never had a 2 so not sure.

you are correct.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   TedBarrett

TedBarrett

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

Tangential to the topic of integrating an iPad into a home theater
Couple of apps along with the excellent DirecTv app I use Splastop Streamer to remotely operate the PC - also works for Macs
and Reflection to record whatever is on the iPad's screen and audio to the PC - not an app a small service - makes the PC or Mac show up as an Airplay target that can be recorded. If you have an Onkyo the ORemote app is far superior to the free official Onkyo app. For the rare occasion when I want to change a setting on the TV and am too lazy to track down it's remote the LG remote app does everything needed. Goodreader will download and playback over Airplay almost anything including HTML5 videos and audio. iPad and Airplay are central to my version of couch potato nirvana.

Edited by TedBarrett, 05 May 2013 - 07:58 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

I have the ATV3, gave my ATV2 to my sister.  Neither of us is interested in jailbreaking.  Me because I remember the horrid hacks on the original ATV, her because she is not techie at all.

I use the ATV to stream my iTunes video library, rent or buy video from iTunes, Netflix and HuluPlus.  And I can also mirror anything on my MacBook Pro w/Retina to the big screen in proper aspect ratio.  Basically if it can go on the screen of the MBP, it can go on the big screen via the ATV.

Damned slick box imo!

One thing that has turned out to be very handy when I do mirror from the MBP is that my Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad are useable from my recliner in the front room with the MBP still plugged into the monitor in my computer room.  No 'remote' app needed.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#15 OFFLINE   TedBarrett

TedBarrett

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

Reflection mirrors the iPad to the PC
Splashtop mirrors the PC to the iPad

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

I use Ignition to "mirror" (more like control) my Mac from either my iPad or my iPhone.  I also use Veency to literally control my iPad or iPhone from my Mac.  really cool stuff

https://cache.saurik.com/veency.mov

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

It's actually Reflector instead of Reflection.

Unfortunately, it's not quite there yet. . . at least the trial version. It will mirror audio of nomad recordings but no video.

I'll keep watching it's progress.

#18 OFFLINE   TedBarrett

TedBarrett

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

Oops! Forgot about the name change

"Reflection is now, Reflector - Same Reflection taste, new Reflector name!"

#19 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

It plays audio fine but couldn't get any video, just a red square that fades out on the PC screen. Is that because of the trial version?

#20 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,774 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

I use the ATV to stream my iTunes video library, rent or buy video from iTunes, Netflix and HuluPlus. And I can also mirror anything on my MacBook Pro w/Retina to the big screen in proper aspect ratio. Basically if it can go on the screen of the MBP, it can go on the big screen via the ATV.

+1. You can stream music, pictures, and videos. I stream a lot of the Twit shows from my iPad thru the ATV to my HDTV, all in HD.

I have two ATV in my house, Gen 3 on the main TV and a Gen 2 in the bedroom. If you have any iProduct or iMac I highly recommend getting an ATV.

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 05 May 2013 - 01:11 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...