Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

getting new Genie, do I have correct set up?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,690 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

Yes we need to know how many DVRs you currently have as this is critical for you to get correct advice
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

Do you have one HR24 or four?

If you have four and plan on keeping them all you WILL need an SWM-16, there is no way around it.

I have 1 HR24 and 3 HR22-100.  I will be replacing a HR22.  the HR24s are real nice.

#23 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

I have 1 HR24 and 3 HR22-100.  I will be replacing a HR22.  the HR24s are real nice.

One HR24 plus 2 Hr22 plus the genie totals 11 tuners so you will need an SWM16.....

#24 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,690 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

well I called to set up.  this is what I was told.  I have an HR24 and cinema kit.  and a SWM.  just not a SWM 16.  so they said that set up will work since I have the HR24 and the cinema kit.  so I should be good.  if not,  I will be upset when this gets sent to me.

you will be upset 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#25 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

I can see a major cluster *%@! happenning at Directv on or after May 16th.... :bang

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#26 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:32 AM

you will be upset 

great.  I don't know what else to do.  I called 3 times.  I will wait until it gets delievered.  connect and see.  how do I even test it.  tape 11 shows? 

#27 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

great.  I don't know what else to do.  I called 3 times.  I will wait until it gets delievered.  connect and see.  how do I even test it.  tape 11 shows? 

No, most likely when you hookup the HR34 and run through the setup it will start to repeatedly complain at some point with Error 776 (formally 771B) messages meaning your SWiM multiswitch, integrated into the dish LNB in your case, is over subscribed with more tuners than it can support. 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#28 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,879 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

great. I don't know what else to do. I called 3 times. I will wait until it gets delievered. connect and see. how do I even test it. tape 11 shows?

The Genies are different from the other HRs in that it won’t give you an error message if it doesn't get all five tuners.

e.g. Assuming you have SWiM8, if you boot your HR24 and the HR22s first they’ll start normally using 6 of the available tuners. Then you start up the Genie it will take the remaining 2 tuners and not give you a 776 error (too many tuners).

However, if you startup the Genie first it will take five tuners. If you then startup any remaining DVRs it will have two tuners but the other DVRs will give you a 776 error.

As you can see, this is why everyone is saying you’re supposed to have a SWiM16. Otherwise you’ll have to decide which DVR gets how many tuners.

How many cables are coming from your dish? If it’s 1 then you have a SWiM8 built into the LNB on the dish. If you have 4 then you have a SWiM module between the dish and the receivers. If that switch is not a SWiM16 you need to call...again, and tell the CSR that you only have a SWiM8 but will need 11 tuners.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#29 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

The Genies are different from the other HRs in that it won’t give you an error message if it doesn't get all five tuners.

e.g. Assuming you have SWiM8, if you boot your HR24 and the HR22s first they’ll start normally using 6 of the available tuners. Then you start up the Genie it will take the remaining 2 tuners and not give you a 776 error (too many tuners).

However, if you startup the Genie first it will take five tuners. If you then startup any remaining DVRs it will have two tuners but the other DVRs will give you a 776 error.

As you can see, this is why everyone is saying you’re supposed to have a SWiM16. Otherwise you’ll have to decide which DVR gets how many tuners.

How many cables are coming from your dish? If it’s 1 then you have a SWiM8 built into the LNB on the dish. If you have 4 then you have a SWiM module between the dish and the receivers. If that switch is not a SWiM16 you need to call...again, and tell the CSR that you only have a SWiM8 but will need 11 tuners.

Mike

I have 4 cables running from my dish.  I have no idea what is up by the dish as I have never been up on that portion of the house.  too high for me.  Why does everyone at directv think I will be fine?  I cant believe that 3 people don't know it yet everyone here does. 

thanks again everyone.

#30 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

I have 4 cables running from my dish.  I have no idea what is up by the dish as I have never been up on that portion of the house.  too high for me.  Why does everyone at directv think I will be fine?  I cant believe that 3 people don't know it yet everyone here does. 

thanks again everyone.

OK, now how many satellite cables do you see connected to each DVR?

One or two?

#31 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,879 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

thanks again everyone.

Somewhere those four wires have to connect to a switch. One of the following is most likely. If you have one cable per DVR then it's one of the first two but if they have two cables then it's the third one and is incompatible with the Genies.

SWiM8
SWiM16
6x8 Multiswitch

Follow the wires to find out which you have. If you get the model number off the switch we can give you a definitive answer as to what you need.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#32 OFFLINE   zuf

zuf

Icon

• Registered
  • 611 posts
  • LocationSouthern Utah

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

One caveat to this that I discovered first hand. While Genie will happily start up with fewer than 5 tuners and without giving an error, it will start to give 776 errors shortly. When I went over my 8 tuner count (SL3-SWM LNB), my HR34 happily started up with 3 tuners active (as I already had 5 SWM channels in use by other equipment). Signal strengths on those three tuners were solid, and of course zero on the other two tuners. After approximately one minute of watching live TV, a 776 too many tuners error popped up on the screen. There was no way to dismiss the error. Changing the channel caused the error to go away briefly, but it reappeared after a few seconds.

My solution? I changed the LNB for an SL3 and installed a SWM16. bhigh8: I concur with what has already been said in this thread. Regardless of what the CSRs are telling you, with 11 active tuners system, you WILL need a SWM16. Of course, you could always configure each of the three HR-2x DVRs to use only one tuner each, which would bring you down to 8 tuners total. I can only speak for myself and say while that is technically possible, it isn't something I would want to do.

#33 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

Somewhere those four wires have to connect to a switch. One of the following is most likely. If you have one cable per DVR then it's one of the first two but if they have two cables then it's the third one and is incompatible with the Genies.

SWiM8
SWiM16
6x8 Multiswitch

Follow the wires to find out which you have. If you get the model number off the switch we can give you a definitive answer as to what you need.

Mike

Or if the TS finds it too difficult to follow the cabling all the way to the switch, should the multiswitch be placed somewhere way under the house or something, for ease just tell us how many cables are connected to each DVR. And if its two the TS should see little black boxes (the "B-Band Converters") attached to each cable right before they connect to the DVR satellite inputs. 

#34 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,690 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

This "might" work until the TS looses power, then once power comes on, chaos ensues.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#35 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

One caveat to this that I discovered first hand. While Genie will happily start up with fewer than 5 tuners and without giving an error, it will start to give 776 errors shortly. When I went over my 8 tuner count (SL3-SWM LNB), my HR34 happily started up with 3 tuners active (as I already had 5 SWM channels in use by other equipment). Signal strengths on those three tuners were solid, and of course zero on the other two tuners. After approximately one minute of watching live TV, a 776 too many tuners error popped up on the screen. There was no way to dismiss the error. Changing the channel caused the error to go away briefly, but it reappeared after a few seconds.

My solution? I changed the LNB for an SL3 and installed a SWM16. bhigh8: I concur with what has already been said in this thread. Regardless of what the CSRs are telling you, with 11 active tuners system, you WILL need a SWM16. Of course, you could always configure each of the three HR-2x DVRs to use only one tuner each, which would bring you down to 8 tuners total. I can only speak for myself and say while that is technically possible, it isn't something I would want to do.

That's exactly the way my HR34 did as well shortly after it was first installed last year, though it displayed as a "771B" error at that time.

The installer/tech said it was merely a "settling in" adjustment and would soon go away, lol. Problem was, which I had to correct after the tech. left, the HR34 had two other HR2X DVRs on the same splitter, which of course caused one side of the SWiM-16 to be over-subscribed with 9 total tuners.     

#36 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,879 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

It definitely not the best way to do things but it is possible.

My overall point is that the TS needs to get DIRECTV to take care of it.

Mike

µß

#37 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,902 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

great.  I don't know what else to do.  I called 3 times.  I will wait until it gets delivered.  connect and see.  how do I even test it.  tape 11 shows? 

Well if it doesn't work, bitch until you get a huge credit.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#38 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

OK, now how many satellite cables do you see connected to each DVR?

One or two?

one cable to each DVR.  no more b-band converters needed.  I bet I have a SWiM8.  I would call again but its getting old.  so I guess I will wait til I get the genie and then call and complain.

#39 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 806 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

At any time did you ever have a fifth receiver? Either DVR or non-DVR?

If you have four cables coming from the dish and are on SWiM it's either a SWiM8 or SWiM16. SWiM8s aren't used too often, and if you have a SWiM16 you'll be good. It is extremely rare for a SWiM16 to be installed unless required because they cost so much money. Not to say it didn't happen (which is looking much more possible in this case).

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#40 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:55 AM

well 4th times the charm.  Directv cant tell what i have.  the work order was never sent to them when the SWM was put in.  so they are sending out a tech to see what i have and install a 16 if i need it.  if its already there then no biggie. 

Thanks for all the help.  i would have been screwed if you guys didnt tell me. 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...