Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

getting new Genie, do I have correct set up?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:55 AM

At any time did you ever have a fifth receiver? Either DVR or non-DVR?

If you have four cables coming from the dish and are on SWiM it's either a SWiM8 or SWiM16. SWiM8s aren't used too often, and if you have a SWiM16 you'll be good. It is extremely rare for a SWiM16 to be installed unless required because they cost so much money. Not to say it didn't happen (which is looking much more possible in this case).

never had 5 receivers.  just the 4. 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,883 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

well 4th times the charm.  Directv cant tell what i have.  the work order was never sent to them when the SWM was put in.  so they are sending out a tech to see what i have and install a 16 if i need it.  if its already there then no biggie. 

Thanks for all the help.  i would have been screwed if you guys didnt tell me. 

Good deal.  Hopefully this will ensure you have all the DVRs you need. 

Are they still sending out the Genie or will the tech bring it?

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#43 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,746 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

so they are sending out a tech to see what i have and install a 16 if i need it.  if its already there then no biggie. 

Awesome.  Keep us posted

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#44 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

well the Genie arrived today.  it did just what you said it would.  776 errors.  I disconnected receivers to get the 8 tuners I wanted working to be connected for now.  tech will be here Friday.  only thing I cant figure out is internet on the HR34.  does it have it built in or does it need those things on the back.  I hope it doesn't cause it barely fits in the cabinet as is.  things massive. 

Is it possible for me to have a SWM 4.  I think that's what its says but then I have 2 splitters on it.  that gets me to 8.  I could be wrong but I know I am picking up 8 tuners.  rest are just getting errors.  the SWM is tiny and has 4 cables running on one side and then one on the other.

thanks guys.

#45 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

well the Genie arrived today.  it did just what you said it would.  776 errors.  I disconnected receivers to get the 8 tuners I wanted working to be connected for now.  tech will be here Friday.  only thing I cant figure out is internet on the HR34.  does it have it built in or does it need those things on the back.  I hope it doesn't cause it barely fits in the cabinet as is.  things massive. 

Is it possible for me to have a SWM 4.  I think that's what its says but then I have 2 splitters on it.  that gets me to 8.  I could be wrong but I know I am picking up 8 tuners.  rest are just getting errors.  the SWM is tiny and has 4 cables running on one side and then one on the other.

thanks guys.

HR34 does not have built in wifi, only the HR44.  It would either need a wireless connection kit or a directly connected ethernet cable.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#46 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,883 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:48 AM

well the Genie arrived today. it did just what you said it would. 776 errors. I disconnected receivers to get the 8 tuners I wanted working to be connected for now. tech will be here Friday. only thing I cant figure out is internet on the HR34. does it have it built in or does it need those things on the back. I hope it doesn't cause it barely fits in the cabinet as is. things massive.

Is it possible for me to have a SWM 4. I think that's what its says but then I have 2 splitters on it. that gets me to 8. I could be wrong but I know I am picking up 8 tuners. rest are just getting errors. the SWM is tiny and has 4 cables running on one side and then one on the other.

thanks guys.

There is no SWiM4. You have a SWiM8. Attached is a basic diagram of a SWiM8 setup.

That’s why you’re only getting 8 tuners. If you put the HR2x DVRs into single tuner mode until the tech gets there. This way no matter what happens the HR34 will boot with 5 tuners and you won’t get any errors...that could also be, say the HR24 with two tuners and an HR22 in single tuner mode.

You can put an HR2x in single tuner mode by running the Satellite Setup.

When the tech gets there (s)he’ll install the SWiM16 and you’ll be running with all the tuners you want. :)

Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• swim8setup.jpg

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#47 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:12 PM

someone please tell me the genie isn't honestly this crappy.  I cant pause live TV.  when I do I cant go back and watch it.  are there lots of issues with this thing.  I have trying to get it and now I have it and it doesn't even do the things I want it to do. 

I have to record the show and go into list and watch the show.  otherwise it cant pause and watch and catch up.

Edited by bhigh8, 07 May 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#48 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

I have never had an issue with normal trickplay. Shouldn't matter, but what software version do you have?

#49 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

someone please tell me the genie isn't honestly this crappy.  I cant pause live TV.  when I do I cant go back and watch it.  are there lots of issues with this thing.  I have trying to get it and now I have it and it doesn't even do the things I want it to do. 

I have to record the show and go into list and watch the show.  otherwise it cant pause and watch and catch up.

Reset the receiver? Check the current software version?

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#50 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

it and it doesn't even do the things I want it to do. 

and what is it that you want the Genie to do?  grant you 3 wishes….. !rolling

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#51 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

and what is it that you want the Genie to do?  grant you 3 wishes….. !rolling

I was upset when it didn't come with the SI model! :)

#52 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,883 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

someone please tell me the genie isn't honestly this crappy. I cant pause live TV. when I do I cant go back and watch it. are there lots of issues with this thing. I have trying to get it and now I have it and it doesn't even do the things I want it to do.

I have to record the show and go into list and watch the show. otherwise it cant pause and watch and catch up.

That isn't right. It does pause live TV, rewind & fast forward. You shouldn't be having issues with that.

I recommend a Menu Restart but be careful to ensure the other DVRs don’t take the available tuners before the HR34 comes back up.

What is the current firmware version? You’ll find it in the Settings & Info.

Mike

µß

#53 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:06 AM

That isn't right. It does pause live TV, rewind & fast forward. You shouldn't be having issues with that.

I recommend a Menu Restart but be careful to ensure the other DVRs don’t take the available tuners before the HR34 comes back up.

What is the current firmware version? You’ll find it in the Settings & Info.

I did a reset and set up the other receivers with one tuner.  seems to be working fine now.  It was a mess.  if I paused and wanted to watch it I had to hit record and go into list to watch the show.  hope that doesn't happen again.  it happened like 5 straight times on all different channels.

Edited by bhigh8, 08 May 2013 - 07:07 AM.

#54 OFFLINE   bhigh8

bhigh8

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

install went well.  put in SWM 16 and new power block..  everything works fine other than I cant figure out how to turn off the recording message that pops up almost everytime I change the channel.  I turned off recording tips but its still there.

#55 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

You need to have at least  6 series links in order for the message to go away

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...