Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can you hook up an OTA with the HR44?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,982 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

No one thinks that with only a few hours gone by from initial install that waiting for the '44 to be fully loaded might make a diff??

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

I had an hr44-700 installed last week and my am21 worked with it while the tech was still here. I did have fewer OTA channels than I did with my previous hr24. While I was a little disappointed in that, I was impressed that I could access the OTA channels from my c41s guide. The hr44 is running 0x725 fw.

#43 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,645 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

No one thinks that with only a few hours gone by from initial install that waiting for the '44 to be fully loaded might make a diff??

No. The AM21 should be immediately recognized. As far as GUIDE data is concerned, OTA channel info isn't added to the GUIDE until after the primary (and secondary) OTA markets are determined. That happens as part of OTA set-up.

/steve

#44 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

I suppose it could, maybe something changed in the latest software update that effected more than just the AM21's scanning for channels. It can't hurt to try again later.

T

#45 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,645 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

I suppose it could, maybe something changed in the latest software update that effected more than just the AM21's scanning for channels. It can't hurt to try again later.

See itzme's post above. He just installed his AM21 last week running the same 0x725 that's available today.

/steve

#46 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

FWIW, The am21 did not get any channels from my secondary market. Both my primary and secondary market zip codes appear in System Info, under "antenna"

#47 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,645 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

FWIW, The am21 did not get any channels from my secondary market. Both my primary and secondary market zip codes appear in System Info, under "antenna"

But just to be clear, they didn't appear automatically. You (or the installer) had to enter those zip codes into "Initial Setup", under "Settings", "Sat and Antenna", "Antenna Setup", correct?

/steve

#48 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

Correct.  The setup prompted for both.  The setup gave me all my primary channels that had been listed in the HR24, that this HR44 replaced.

#49 OFFLINE   mpie314

mpie314

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts
  • LocationWaco, TX

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:51 PM

I think I may need to go this route to get my local CW channel. I live in Waci and get the National DC feed but only in HD. When you do the set up can you pick and choose what OTA stations to add to guide? I have no problem getting my local big 4 in HD with satellite. I know you can only record 2 things at once off the AM21 (I have the genie HR44) just don't want there to be an issue when recording multiple shows at once from the big 4.

#50 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,473 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

I don't think you can pick and choose. But just because they are in the guide doesn't mean you have to use them. I don't use any of my network locals from OTA. But their sub-channels have great programming!

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#51 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 872 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

I think I may need to go this route to get my local CW channel. I live in Waci and get the National DC feed but only in HD. When you do the set up can you pick and choose what OTA stations to add to guide? I have no problem getting my local big 4 in HD with satellite. I know you can only record 2 things at once off the AM21 (I have the genie HR44) just don't want there to be an issue when recording multiple shows at once from the big 4.

There are two ways to control which AM21 OTA channels appear in the guide:

1. Create a custom guide list and select only those OTA channels (and, of course, any others) that you wish to appear in said list (this is the method I use):

dtvota1.jpg

2. After completing your initial AM21 setup, under Edit Off-Air Channels, select only those OTA channels that you wish to globally appear in any guide list: 

dtvota.jpg

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#52 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,473 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:30 PM

Good advice! I don't remember being able to do option 2, but mine has been set up for so long...

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#53 OFFLINE   mpie314

mpie314

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts
  • LocationWaco, TX

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

Thanks for the help guys! ANy suggestions on a quality indoor antenna? I've seen on amazon they have the AM21 paired up with the Mohu Leaf 30. That one seems like it is quality and gotten good reviews.

#54 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,473 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

I got mine through solid signal. One of the flat pancake ones.

My Setup

#55 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 285 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

They still make the Silver Sensor? Have had mine for several years now and it pulls in stations for which Antenna Web tells me I need a roof-mounted antenna. Just sits on my first-floor window sill. Unfortunately, the database on the AM21 doesn't pick up all the local sub channels I have available.  :mad2:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...