Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Big Bang Theory, bad recording May 2nd

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   IndyMichael

IndyMichael

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

Went to watch the Big Bang Theory last night, and it looked like it was recorded during a storm, but we had nothing but clear skies last night.  It recorded the same unwatchable video on the two receivers it records on.  I've never had that happen before.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,356 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

Just for reference, I recorded and watched BBT on Comcast -- no technical issues with program/reception.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

I watched my recording today on my nomad and had no issues....and there was a constant rain here.

#4 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

Went to watch the Big Bang Theory last night, and it looked like it was recorded during a storm, but we had nothing but clear skies last night.  It recorded the same unwatchable video on the two receivers it records on.  I've never had that happen before.

If it happened on both receivers then it's most likely something between the dish and your switch. Who knows, maybe a bird parked itself on your LNB. :)

#5 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

It was great seeing Bob Newhart in last nights episode

• Chris Blount and tnd777 like this

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#6 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

Ditto.

Spoiler

/steve

#7 OFFLINE   IndyMichael

IndyMichael

Legend/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

Yes it was, eerie thing was, when I coulnd't watch BBT, I went to my list of old NCIS shows on USA and Bob was a guest on that episode too.

#8 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,711 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:46 AM

Might have been a problem with your local CBS station signal, or DirecTV's feed of that signal.  No issues with BBT here in Seattle. 

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#9 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,906 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:07 AM

Recorded fine here from Charlotte. Was a funny show - in fact, it's the funniest sitcom every week without trying to squeeze a laugh from a tired / unrealistic situation (2-1/2 men).

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#10 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 724 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

Just for reference, I recorded and watched BBT on Comcast -- no technical issues with program/reception.

But it's Comcrap and the PQ andandand, never mind.

#11 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,356 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

But it's Comcrap and the PQ andandand, never mind.

Good contribution there, but that kind of "crap" is getting old. Can't  you at least come up with something at least semi-original?

FYI, around these parts, Comcast's service, HD channel selection and PQ are top-notch. It's not your father's Comcast anymore!

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#12 OFFLINE   wxman

wxman

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

It was a problem with local channels in the Indy area. I lost TBBT, but I watched Community off the air and it was fine. See the Indy local channel thread:

http://www.dbstalk.c...polis-in/page-3

#13 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

Recorded fine here from Charlotte. Was a funny show - in fact, it's the funniest sitcom every week without trying to squeeze a laugh from a tired / unrealistic situation (2-1/2 men).

Yeah, I'm in the Charlotte area too, no problem with that particular episode but I HAVE seen that digital breakup thing on other recordings and sometimes live as I'm watching (not just CBS) while it was clear and sunny out. Oh, and the installer told me rain and clouds almost never knock out the signal anymore but I've had it go out the last two times it rained here (not light rain, but not a downpour either).

#14 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

Mo problem with that recording in Houston, Tx

#15 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,906 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

Yeah, I'm in the Charlotte area too, no problem with that particular episode but I HAVE seen that digital breakup thing on other recordings and sometimes live as I'm watching (not just CBS) while it was clear and sunny out. Oh, and the installer told me rain and clouds almost never knock out the signal anymore but I've had it go out the last two times it rained here (not light rain, but not a downpour either).

Your installer wasn't quite right. . . particularly on the HD channels. A typical thunderstorm approaching from the west / southwest will have rainfade before it starts raining at your house!

Basically think of the dish having to look through the wall of water (clouds) to the southwest.

I don't remember any in the last month or so but our weather hasn't been typical - yet.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#16 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:06 AM

I took what he said with a grain of salt. It was overcast and drizzly during the install, no problem. But I remember when I had Directv before how the signal would slowly go out whenever we got the rain from the southwest, which has happened twice in the past month.

#17 OFFLINE   powerhouse1960

powerhouse1960

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

I think it must have been a problem between wish 8 and dtv

It really did not matter I just watch it on direct TV video on demand

#18 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

Funny, my BBT recording on WISH-TV 8 via DIRECTV didn't exhibit any problems whatsoever.

Could it have been some sort of local interference that affected only part of the market? I'm in the NE suburbs.

Edited by renbutler, 06 May 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

I live in Nashville, and I tried to watch that Big Bang recording last night, and it just gave an error (bad packets or something like that).   I had never had that happen before either, and Thursday night had clear weather.

Good to know I wasn't the only one.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...