Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 wants to change channel to record, but only one tuner tied up

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jungle Jim

Jungle Jim

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

For the second time this week, my HR34 has displayed the message that it needs to change channels to record a program that is scheduled to begin in three minutes or so.  Thing is, when this message displayed tonight, only one channel was being recorded and no others were scheduled to record.  When it happened earlier this week, I don't think anything was being recorded (but I don't remember for sure).  Anyway, what gives?  Why is it ignoring the fact that it has five tuners?

FWIW, it will still record five programs at once, so it does acknowledge that it has five tuners in that situation.  (I pulled up the guide and hit record on ficve shows at once to test it.)  Also, I haven't tried a reset, but probably will later tonight when we don't need the TV.

Edited by Jungle Jim, 03 May 2013 - 08:34 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,289 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

Do you have "Genie recommends" turn on?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 941 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

Run a diagnostic on it (press and hold info until it says Run System Test, select it, then press the dash button under the seven key).

What could shows up?

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:30 AM

Interesting;

My HR34 did that a lot with the early firmware versions back when I first got it around a year ago.

Hasn't in later FW versions for a long time now, even with "Genie Recommends" turned on these days (though I never use it, lol) 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#5 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 446 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

I think that I'm having the same problem that you are having with the HR34, but I get no error message.  I think my tuners locks up and nothing.  I have to reboot the box to get any live feed.  I ended up turning Genie off and see if it fixes the problem.  I never had any problems before, but for the past few weeks, the box has been locking up.  

#6 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

For the second time this week, my HR34 has displayed the message that it needs to change channels to record a program that is scheduled to begin in three minutes or so.  Thing is, when this message displayed tonight, only one channel was being recorded and no others were scheduled to record.  When it happened earlier this week, I don't think anything was being recorded (but I don't remember for sure).  Anyway, what gives?  Why is it ignoring the fact that it has five tuners?

By any chance, do you have an AM21 connected? If so, you'll get that message if one of your OTA tuners is recording, you're watching the other one and the new recording is scheduled for an OTA tuner as well.

Otherwise, as others have suggested, it could be a Genie Recommends bug.

/steve

#7 OFFLINE   Jungle Jim

Jungle Jim

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Yes, Genie Recommends is turned on and yes, I have an AM21 connected.  I have no idea if the programming was coming from the dish or the antenna when this occurred.  I'll turn Genie Recommends off and see if the problem occurs again.  Also, I may experiment with the AM21 issue when I have time and see if I can replicate the issue.

#8 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:49 AM

[...] yes, I have an AM21 connected.

I'm pretty sure you'll find that was it. I'm a Genie/AM21 user, and I run into that same issue occasionally when trying to schedule a third OTA recording, or when trying to tune to a live OTA channel when two other OTA channels are recording and/or being watched live in other rooms.

Would be great if we could "stack" AM21s, to increase the # of simultaneous OTA channels that can be watched or recorded.

/steve

#9 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

,,, Would be great if we could "stack" AM21s, to increase the # of simultaneous OTA channels that can be watched or recorded.

And if DIRECTV had designed their DVR/OTA turner module system like the Dish DVRs so the OTA tuners would be additive to the satellite tuners instead of substitutive. 

Edited by HoTat2, 05 May 2013 - 07:59 AM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#10 OFFLINE   spartacvs

spartacvs

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

Same thing happened to me last week.

#11 OFFLINE   Jungle Jim

Jungle Jim

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

I'm pretty sure you'll find that was it. I'm a Genie/AM21 user, and I run into that same issue occasionally when trying to schedule a third OTA recording, or when trying to tune to a live OTA channel when two other OTA channels are recording and/or being watched live in other rooms.

Would be great if we could "stack" AM21s, to increase the # of simultaneous OTA channels that can be watched or recorded.

This afternoon the light bulb came on and I realized that it couldn't have been the AM21, because I currently have all my OTA channels blocked from the guide and am only watching from dish.  I use the OTA mainly during NFL season to get games from other nearby markets and this time of year I don't even include those channels in the guide.  So, maybe it was the Genie Recommends.  I'll post here again if it happens again with Genie Recommends turned off.

#12 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

This afternoon the light bulb came on and I realized that it couldn't have been the AM21, because I currently have all my OTA channels blocked from the guide and am only watching from dish.  I use the OTA mainly during NFL season to get games from other nearby markets and this time of year I don't even include those channels in the guide.  So, maybe it was the Genie Recommends.  I'll post here again if it happens again with Genie Recommends turned off.

This sounds like the cause, as I haven't seen the problem with my Genie, but I turned off Genie Recommendations very early because I had no interest in what it suggested.

A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

Do you have Genie Clients?  If so, were they turned on when this message appeared?  Since each Genie Client uses one of the Genie tuners, when they are turned on, could this be the cause of the message?

#14 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

This thread has made me want to turn Genie Recommends off.  I googled how to do it and on the DTV site it says Menu-->>Search & Brows-->>TVShows.  When I do that I get a message that says "1998 TVShows not available."  I presume the 1998 is an error number.  When I googled that message I got a thread on the DTV site where a DTV customer had the same problem.  As of the last post, DTV had not been able to help him.

My HR34 is not connected to the internet, fyi.  I have an AM21.

johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#15 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:28 AM

This thread has made me want to turn Genie Recommends off.  I googled how to do it and on the DTV site it says Menu-->>Search & Brows-->>TVShows.  When I do that I get a message that says "1998 TVShows not available."  I presume the 1998 is an error number.  When I googled that message I got a thread on the DTV site where a DTV customer had the same problem.  As of the last post, DTV had not been able to help him.

My HR34 is not connected to the internet, fyi.  I have an AM21.

1998 is not the error code, its actually the shortcut to access it by typing in channel 1998 from there you get a portal (much like a VOD channel) where you scroll to the bottom and can turn it on/off. If when you tune to channel 1998 your seeing 'TVShows not available', you probably need a working internet connection on your receiver to access the portal.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#16 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

I did type in the channel and the portal came up and I was able to turn Genie Recommends off.  Boy, talk about making it hard to find.  First DTV's online help tells me do it differently, then the message number is not really a message number but a clue to do it.  Go figure.

Couldn't have done it without the DBSTalk forum.  BTW, I don't have my HR34 connected to the internet.  I couldn't get DTV to give me on of the devices that it needs and I didn't want to spend the money.

johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#17 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

BTW, I don't have my HR34 connected to the internet.  I couldn't get DTV to give me on of the devices that it needs and I didn't want to spend the money.

You don't have a Ethernet cable that can connect to the HR34?

A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

You don't have a Ethernet cable that can connect to the HR34?

My broadband is nowhere near my home theater.  I had a guy go  up into the attic and he said it was pretty much impossible to run a cable from where the broadband is located to my HT.

johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#19 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

I'm very surprised that the installer didn't just give you a wireless CCK.  I've read here that they are supposed to give them to anyone who asks for one, even if they are at your house for another reason.  That's what happend to a friend of mine.  They had a problem with a receiver in his son's bedroom, and had a technician there to fix that problem.  When my friend asked how he could get On Demand channels, the technician installed a wireless CCK for him for free.

#20 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

I'm very surprised that the installer didn't just give you a wireless CCK.  I've read here that they are supposed to give them to anyone who asks for one, even if they are at your house for another reason.  That's what happend to a friend of mine.  They had a problem with a receiver in his son's bedroom, and had a technician there to fix that problem.  When my friend asked how he could get On Demand channels, the technician installed a wireless CCK for him for free.

No, he never offered, and I wasn't smart enough to ask.  Here's a story to go with the install.  The new HR34 was replacing an HR20, which was using an external esata drive with a lot of programming we hadn't watched.  I had already asked DTV if they wanted the HR20 and they did not.  They had it on a list of equipment they had no use for.  However the installer said he had to take it, his boss said no install unless they took the HR20.

So I got on the phone with DTV, and a new CSR confirmed once again they did not want the receiver and told the installer that.  They installer called his boss and after a few minutes of conversation it was agreed I would keep the HR20.  I figure this local company was taking the receivers from customers who didn't know any better and selling them for a profit on the side.  DTV doesn't want them.

I have since called DTV a couple of times and they won't comp me the device so far.  To be fair, DTV has treated me well over the years.  The HR34 was free and so was the install.

johnny
www.teamfurr.org

Protected By... spam firewall...And...