Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 wants to change channel to record, but only one tuner tied up

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

Based on what I've read here, installers are required to take old leased receivers regardless of whether they are being recovered by DirecTV or not.  It's only when doing a self-install when DirecTV doesn't send a recovery kit that you're allowed to keep them.

The installer and his boss were following protocol.  The Customer Service Rep. gave them permission to break that protocol.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

When I called DTV on the day of installation, the CSR said they had a "non-recovery" list (I think that's what he called it) and the HR20 was on it.  It didn't have the value of a paperweight to them.  IMHO, he wasn't doing me a favor, he was following their procedure.  This was a male CSR and I never get a break from a male CSR.  Excuse the sexism, but that's the way it has worked out for me.

DTV creates this situation by marrying the the hard drive to a specific receiver.  When you get a new receiver, I'll bet for many people, there are programs on their old receiver they haven't watched yet and programs they'd like to keep.  If DTV would marry the hard drive to the customer account, that would solve at least some of this problem.

johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#23 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 287 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:56 AM

Based on what I've read here, installers are required to take old leased receivers regardless of whether they are being recovered by DirecTV or not.  It's only when doing a self-install when DirecTV doesn't send a recovery kit that you're allowed to keep them.

The installer and his boss were following protocol.  The Customer Service Rep. gave them permission to break that protocol.

I have had several installer upgrades over the years and the installer has never taken the old box when completed.

J C

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

#24 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,468 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:36 PM

I figure this local company was taking the receivers from customers who didn't know any better and selling them for a profit on the side.  DTV doesn't want them.

You figured wrong,  All techs are required by policy to take ANY receivers that are being upgraded/replaced.  This is because these receivers are going to a different place first then if the customers shipped them to directv.  all deactivated receivers are added to the warehouse and this facility are expecting all receivers on that list.  when a customer refuses to let go of the receiver, there is paper work that can be filed out that would put the receivers "in the customer hands"

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#25 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,171 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

When I called DTV on the day of installation, the CSR said they had a "non-recovery" list (I think that's what he called it) and the HR20 was on it.  It didn't have the value of a paperweight to them.  IMHO, he wasn't doing me a favor, he was following their procedure.  This was a male CSR and I never get a break from a male CSR.  Excuse the sexism, but that's the way it has worked out for me.

DTV creates this situation by marrying the the hard drive to a specific receiver.  When you get a new receiver, I'll bet for many people, there are programs on their old receiver they haven't watched yet and programs they'd like to keep.  If DTV would marry the hard drive to the customer account, that would solve at least some of this problem.

When I upgraded from ( 2 ) D11 receivers to an HD and an HDDVR they did not take them with them. I was told they were out of date and no longer being installed.

I have read several posts that are similar, stating that DTV did not want the old receivers back since they were no longer going to activate them anymore. They would be wasting money to ship them back to one of their locations and then dispose of them. After about 6 months of making sure I was not being charged for the old receivers I threw mine in the trash can.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#26 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

I have seen the same tuner warning the OP noted multiple times, even when 1 tuner was needed. No AM-21 attached. Have not seen it in the past month or so.

However, I am running into an issue after watching a show on the HR34 when I try to delete it at end, it will say the program cannot be deleted (someone is viewing or something to that nature). As it was me that was watching it - then trying to delete, clearly this is a bug. When I immediately go to the program via the "list" button, I can delete it with no issue.

spam firewall