Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Confused about what I need. Please help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pgiammat

pgiammat

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

Currently we have:

- One HR20-700

- Two HR22-100s

We have had them for a long time. When we moved (a few years ago) they were installed in a SWiM installation, but it was before they were doing the whole home DVR thing. Two of them our currently connected to the Internet through a Gigabit ethernet router and Cat6 unshielded cabling. We also have dual-band 802.11N wireless, however, I try to keep stationary devices off the wireless to avoid congestion.

I contacted DirecTV today to see about a whole home DVR setup. I seamed to remember that about a couple of years ago, it was suppose to cost about $150 for installation, plus $3 per month. When I called today, I was informed that I didn't need anything since I had SWiM and that I just had to request the service and be willing to pay the $3 per month. This didn't sound right, but anyway, we went on to talk about the Genie.

I decided to get the Genie. I was told I didn't need the Genie mini boxes as my current HD-DVRs were able to be Genie clients. I was told there was no need for an installer and that they would send me everything I needed. When I look at my order online, it includes the Genie (I am not sure which model), the Cinema Connection Kit, and a VCONWifiDeca.

- Is this everything I need?

- Does it matter which receiver (by type or location) is the one that connects to my Internet?

- May I connect to my Internet wired instead of wireless with what they are sending me?

- Is there more (or different) equipment I need?

I am usually quite good and this type of thing and I tried reading various threads related to the whole home DVR, SWiM, DECA and Genie, but just found myself even more confused on what I need.

I thank you for any guidance you are able to provide.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,907 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

You will need a swim 16. . . each HR2x is 2 tuners, genie is 5. You probably have a SWiM LNB that can handle 8 tuners max.

It has 1 coax from the dish LNB to splitters to each HR2x. It needs to be changed to a new LNB and 4 coax from the dish to the SWiM 16. Then to your existing splitters and a new feed to your new genie.

If you don't already have a deca on each HR2x, you'll need them. The genie network connection can replace a CCK if you can get Ethernet to it. Otherwise, you'll need a cck or WCCK (wireless) to connect the coax DECA cloud back to your router.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 OFFLINE   pgiammat

pgiammat

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

dennisj00,

Thank you for the information.

As I am not currently at home, I can not check, but I originally had 4 HD-DVRs hooked up (shut one off last year), with two tuners a piece, and do believe there is only one coax coming from the satellite (could be two but definitely not four) so I am guessing you are right about my LNB being 8 max.

If I don't want to get into running more coax cables from the dish, may I just disable one of the tuners on one of the HD-DVRs? (So I would have the Genie with 5 - which is replacing one of the HD-DVRs, one HD-DVR with two tuners activated and the other HD-DVR with just one tuner activated? Also, if I was to eventually add one Genie mini to another room, am I right in thinking since it doesn't have a tuner, it won't effect my SWiM setup?

Also, I do not have DECA on my existing HD-DVRs. I didn't see any mentioned in the order. Will they supply me with them? Do I have to ask? I believe the Genie does not need one – Is that correct?

Also, on the existing HD-DVRs, do I still use the band stop converters of do the DECA modules include that?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

#4 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

As I am not currently at home, I can not check, but I originally had 4 HD-DVRs hooked up (shut one off last year), with two tuners a piece, and do believe there is only one coax coming from the satellite (could be two but definitely not four) so I am guessing you are right about my LNB being 8 max. If you have two coax coming in the premises its possible you have a SMW-16 outside, although I would doubt it since you haven't had more than 8 tuners total in the past.

If I don't want to get into running more coax cables from the dish, may I just disable one of the tuners on one of the HD-DVRs? (So I would have the Genie with 5 - which is replacing one of the HD-DVRs, one HD-DVR with two tuners activated and the other HD-DVR with just one tuner activated? Yes however if you have a tech do the install they will install a SWM-16.
Also, if I was to eventually add one Genie mini to another room, am I right in thinking since it doesn't have a tuner, it won't effect my SWiM setup? You are correct.

Also, I do not have DECA on my existing HD-DVRs. I didn't see any mentioned in the order. Will they supply me with them? Do I have to ask? I believe the Genie does not need one – Is that correct? If your not having a tech do the install there is a good chance they will not send them unless you call and request them specifically, and they should provide them free. The Genie does not need a DECA as its built in.

Also, on the existing HD-DVRs, do I still use the band stop converters of do the DECA modules include that? Nope, only DECA modules.

#5 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

It appears to me that the story they gave you isn't true.  The WHDS feature alone is typically something they won't set up without a truck roll (unless you explicitly demand "unsupported" WHDS).

Tell the CSR only what your goal is (adding WHDS and/or a Genie). Any additional details you offer (specifically your network setup and your associated theories about it) may confuse the CSR and elicit another misleading answer.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   pgiammat

pgiammat

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

Thanks for your replies.

When I get home, later today, I will check my setup and then contact DirecTV.

When I contacted DirecTV, it was to enquire about multi-room viewing and to discuss my options of doing so with my current equipment or by going with a Genie (i.e. prices, benefits of one over the other). I never offered the CSR any details about my setup (nor was I asked) other than to explain that my installation was SWM, but was done awhile before multi-room viewing was rolled out and that it was my understanding that I would need some additional equipment for MRV. Also I never requested a self install. I was told the Genie was a self install, and that they would send me the equipment.

What I should have done is visit DBSTalk first to get my facts correct. But even though it's after the fact now, at least I now have a clear picture of how this all comes together, thanks to the expertise of the members on this board.

I really appreciate the assistance!

Thanks!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...