Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How many Sats??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   daddie_longlegs

daddie_longlegs

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

I'm new to Dish after many years with DTV.  I always got a minimum of 3 Sats w/ DTV (110/119/12?), but I noticed I only get (2)Sats with Dish,  61.5 west strength 51 /72.7 strength 32 but no other Sats.  Shouldn't I get 3 Sats?? I also seem to get fade real easy and Locals may pixelate & drop audio from time to time. I live in N.E. Alabama.  Little help please. 

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,537 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

The western arc consists of 110/119/129, while the eastern arc consists of 61.5/72.7/77... but most people don't need all three on the eastern arc, it seems... so every once in a while in certain areas they just install you with the two locations like it sounds like they have done for you.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#3 OFFLINE   daddie_longlegs

daddie_longlegs

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

Shouldn't the signal strength  be higher?? It fades a lot more than my old DTV signal!!

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,537 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

Higher is relative.

While the signal meter on the DVRs go up to 100, nobody ever gets anywhere near that.  Also, you can't just measure results on one channel and say that's your signal...  Different transponders give different levels.  A good installation will be peaked on a couple of different locations on the two SATs you receive, and there will be variance across all the transponders.

I don't know what optimal levels are in Alabama... but different parts of the country do see different levels as you might expect.  Maybe someone else from Alabama can chime in and give you some ideas of what to expect.

I can say that a properly peaked dish with Dish Network  in most areas shouldn't lose signal due to "rain fade" unless you have a nice dark cloud overhead blocking signal... We get some heavy rains and don't lose signal here in NC unless the black clouds are overhead.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#5 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,730 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

No - Dish used to go clear to 125 on their receiver's meters. Now - they're calibrated to the standard meters their tech's use for aiming.

A reading of 50-60 is gods plenty for most transponders - it's very resistant to weather related events if you're getting that strong a signal.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,586 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

Shouldn't the signal strength  be higher?? It fades a lot more than my old DTV signal!!

The incidence of fade should be comparable to a DIRECTV SD signal and better than a DIRECTV HD signal.  If it isn't, your installation is probably sub-par.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

spam firewall