Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

PlayOn and PlayLater

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

There are a couple of older threads here, but they're somewhat outdated.

Is anybody using this package/service?  I'm curious about your thoughts on content, choice and reliability.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,097 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

I use PlayOn only and overall it works fine, just remember though it's SD output only.

When using it on the HR24/34/44 it usually will start a playback from a site the first try, but when using a RVU client I might have to try it a couple of times to get it to work.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,406 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

I used the combo for a few months.  I like Playon and have a 'lifetime' license.  Didn't find Playlater to be good enough to spend the extra money, though it did work as advertised.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:16 AM

If you have any kind of bandwidth meter, what do you see for download traffic?

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#5 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

There are a couple of older threads here, but they're somewhat outdated.

Is anybody using this package/service?  I'm curious about your thoughts on content, choice and reliability.

I use Playon thru both a HR34 & HR24.  Primary use is to watch ESPN3 during football season and/or watch recordings that were not recorded correcting due to overrun of games during football season.  You would think CBS could do better scheduling on Sundays.

I also have the lifetime package.  Their iphone/ipad app work pretty good.  I normally use the app to find the program then stream it thru the receiver.

#6 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

I'm on lifetime for both. They're great. I stream to my Roku, 360 and the Hopper. I don't notice any bandwidth usage above and beyond what I'd get using Hulu anyway.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#7 OFFLINE   IndyMichael

IndyMichael

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

I was going to ask the same question.  We decided to cancel directv and go with Huluplus, Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming for the at least the summer.  Does Playon offer more than those 3 combined and is it really only SD? 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...