Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Best dual tuner dvr

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 733 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

Which receiver appears to be the best [ least buggy?] dual tuner dvr?

Is there a stand alone dvr that works with Dish?

:smoking:

thanks!

chris

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

Two years on this forum and you ask a question like this? HOPPAH the only new receiver DISH is selling but it has 3 Tuners not 2 and a very large hard drive 1TB with few complaints.

#3 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 733 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

Thanks so much for the reply!

After doing some comparisons, and Not having one myself, I  just wondered what others thought.

Not interested in the hopper. 

chris

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

If you aren't interested in the best (the Hopper) but ask which is the best...  you're going to get random answers I'm afraid.

In my book I would rate them: Hopper, 922, 722K, 722, 622, 612.

Not a lot of difference in 722K and the others... and the other/older ones you probably can't get anyway unless you purchase one yourself.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 733 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

thanks stewart,

I looked for the 922 on dish's web site but it isn't listed. What features does this have that the 722k doesn't?  I'm looking for myself and someone else who is "tech challenged". I'm sure the hopper is fine, just don't want the extra cost. I was looking for some input is all. Not alot of detail about any of these on the Dish site.

My 222k has been pretty much like problem free, so I'm spoiled.

chris

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

if you'll try DVR, you'll really spoiled !

I would vote for basic 622;

922 has different GUI (no lists) and Sling, it will req more money;

722 is just has bigger drive [500 GB] vs 622,

722k is 722 with different CPU

Edited by P Smith, 04 May 2013 - 09:52 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

I have a 722, 622 and two 612s. All work equally well. Over the years I have had a hard drive failure on a 612 and the 722. Stuff happens sometimes. I ended up buying the two 612s because I did not need to feed multiple TVs and they were cheaper.

#8 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

I moved from the 622 to the 722k a year or two ago.  My motivation was to have the ability to use the dual Over The Air optional tuner.  Many people could probably care less about that because they get their local channels from satellite anyway.  For quite a while I only got the local channels from the over the air tuner.  I am reminded how nice it is to have it when heavy rain knocks out satellite reception.  Granted, it doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.

As far as Sling functionality goes, I have both the Sling Adapter and the stand alone Sling PRO-HD.  That allows us to sling from TV1 and TV2.  The really nice thing about PRO-HD, for me anyway, is that it also has a built in stand alone ATSC tuner.  Again, not that it happens often, but there can be times when wife is watching TV1 and kids are watching TV2 at home.  I might be away, but want to Sling, so I will select the Over The Air tuner.  

As far as capacity goes for recording, I bought a 2TB external hard drive a while back, so I think I am good there.  I have looks a few times at the 922 and the Hopper and there is no compelling reason for me to switch at this time.  Hopefully it will continue to work well and be supported by DISH for quite some time to come.

• RG6-Q likes this

#9 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

I have the 922, 222k, an 722k. I would suggest the 722k as its basically the same as the 222k, cept with the added ability of a DVR. I do love the the 922 but it is quite buggy but has lots of drive space. The 722 drive is soo much smaller, but as stated above, u can add an external drive and even share it on any DVR on the account.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#10 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

If you aren't interested in the best (the Hopper) but ask which is the best...  you're going to get random answers I'm afraid.

In my book I would rate them: Hopper, 922, 722K, 722, 622, 612.

Not a lot of difference in 722K and the others... and the other/older ones you probably can't get anyway unless you purchase one yourself.

Having gone through four 922's in as many months, I certainly would not rate the 922 below the Hopper! At best it would be on a par with the 612, which I did have one back when they were new and got rid of in short order. The 922 does not freeze up as much as the 612 did, but almost... The best so far was a 722K I had for over two years and did not have one problem with it. It was rock solid and never acted up, should have kept that instead of being lured by the glitz and glamor of a newer GUI and more storage space.

#11 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 299 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:08 AM

satcrazy if I may ask, how many TV’s are in the home? Are you looking into Sling technology? Do you have your current receiver connected to the internet? If you have 2 TV’s and mainly watch your programming on one TV, 722K is a good option. If you have one TV the 612 is a great option to have and will give you the dual feeling.

Thanks

#12 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 733 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:37 AM

My thanks to all the generous replies.

It's been very helpfull. It appears the 722k might be the one, all though when I did some research it had problems with OTA recordings [ old posts] I watch some specific programs on PBS and I have to be able to record them. Can I hope those problems I read about are gone?

To the dirt rep-

I actually have 3 tv's, 2 are in bedrooms, and I've split the tv2 signal to accomodate both. It works for me without incurring extra cost. I need to keep my expenses to a minimum.

According to the dish website description, I won't be able to watch tv1 and tv2 at the same time while I record a third channel, correct?

chris

#13 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

My thanks to all the generous replies.

It's been very helpfull. It appears the 722k might be the one, all though when I did some research it had problems with OTA recordings [ old posts] I watch some specific programs on PBS and I have to be able to record them. Can I hope those problems I read about are gone?

To the dirt rep-

I actually have 3 tv's, 2 are in bedrooms, and I've split the tv2 signal to accomodate both. It works for me without incurring extra cost. I need to keep my expenses to a minimum.

According to the dish website description, I won't be able to watch tv1 and tv2 at the same time while I record a third channel, correct?

What I found with my 722K was that any marginally weak signal would cause the infamous you have lost signal screen to pop up. I was originally using a  remanufactured MT2 OTA module and got a new one and then everything was fine. Before that I would have to delete the marginal signal stations from the list to keep the receiver from having an issue. I am now using the new MT2 in my 922 and it does not have any issues other than the 922 is a receiver that was never fixed of it's bugs. Once again, my K was rock solid for over 2 years that I had it! 

#14 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 733 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

What I found with my 722K was that any marginally weak signal would cause the infamous you have lost signal screen to pop up. I was originally using a  remanufactured MT2 OTA module and got a new one and then everything was fine. Before that I would have to delete the marginal signal stations from the list to keep the receiver from having an issue. I am now using the new MT2 in my 922 and it does not have any issues other than the 922 is a receiver that was never fixed of it's bugs. Once again, my K was rock solid for over 2 years that I had it! 

Thanks rduce,

Do I assume that if my signal with my 222k is ok, I shouldn't have an issue with the 722k? This OTA module, does that come built in to the receiver? This MT2, do you have to purchase separately? [ install it yourself?]

Also, I need to know the answer to my last question about watching tv1&2 while recording a third channel. Is that doable or are you stuck watching what your recording?

thanks again

By the way, why did you go to the 922?

Edited by satcrazy, 15 May 2013 - 11:34 AM.

chris

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,853 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

you asked a lot of questions - for your own thread ;), as here you're went offtopic

Edited by P Smith, 15 May 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

Thanks rduce,

Do I assume that if my signal with my 222k is ok, I shouldn't have an issue with the 722k? This OTA module, does that come built in to the receiver? This MT2, do you have to purchase separately? [ install it yourself?]

Also, I need to know the answer to my last question about watching tv1&2 while recording a third channel. Is that doable or are you stuck watching what your recording?

thanks again

By the way, why did you go to the 922?

The 722K, like the 222K and the 922 all come without an OTA tuner installed, but it is an option that you can purchase and self install. It is simply, all you do is remove the cover plate on the back held on by two screws and slide the MT-2 in and reboot and then run a scan thru the add local channels tab.

If you are asking the question about the signal on your current 222k, does it have the OTA mod? If it does it works the same way with a 722K, so it should be a non-issue. 

I only have a small bedroom set attached to the TV2 and it works fine for me as I leave it in share mode, thus I am getting a full 16:9 picture in the bedroom and since I live alone I do not have more than one person viewing at a time. I do not know how your setup would be, but I can tell you I routinely had three channels recording and was able to watch the fourth or all four recording while I watched a recorded show on the 722 and now the 922.

I changed to have the built in sling and the more updated GUI. However, I have grown weary of the quirky nature of the beast and am considering upgrading to the Hopper, but it pains me to think about a new 24 month agreement having been fee of said agreements for many years.

#17 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 733 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:07 PM

I get locals, but I don't know if that means I have the OTA mod.

I would guess that I don't. I would have to look at the back of the receiver.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my query.

Much appreciated.

chris

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,853 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

Much appreciated.

You must.

Edited by P Smith, 18 May 2013 - 09:04 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

Much appreciated.

You may get your locals, DISH does supply my area’s Networks, ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, and PBS in glorious HD and the CW in SD via satellite. However, I wanted to ability to pick up several digital sub-channels that DISH will never offer. So the OTA MT-2 mod connects to your OTA antenna on the roof or attic space and gives your receiver the ability to see these offerings as well. Most of my area’s sub-channels are in the guide giving me the ability to record them as well, if not, at least with a 722K, you can manually set a timer. A function that apparently has been left out of Hopper and 922. 

If you have an OTA antenna you can use the MT-2. In some cases a pair of rabbit ears would work, in my case I was far enough away from the towers a roof top antenna was required. In any case two OTA tuners come in very handy when you want to record something local and have both sat tuners tied up with something else.

Edited by Rduce, 18 May 2013 - 12:00 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...