Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NBC Sports Live Extra

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tygh

Tygh

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

With the Fox Soccer channel going away and NBC taking over the broadcasting of the BPL games, I have been unable to get any info from DTV about their offering of NBC Sports Live Extra for next season.  

Also a bit concerned that DTV customers won't have access to the online games......just like I cannot get ESPN3.

Anyone have any real info on what DTV is going to do?  I called and emailed but only got the standard "We are unsure at this time...."

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:11 AM

I am unsure at this time...  :eek2:

#3 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

Also a bit concerned that DTV customers won't have access to the online games......just like I cannot get ESPN3.

Why can't you get ESPN3?

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#4 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 532 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

Why can't you get ESPN3?

because direcTV isn't a option, for some reason direcTV just don't have deal with normal channels extra

#5 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

because direcTV isn't a option, for some reason direcTV just don't have deal with normal channels extra

ESPN3 uses your ISP, not your television provider.  At least, that's how it's always worked for me.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#6 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 532 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

ESPN3 uses your ISP, not your television provider.  At least, that's how it's always worked for me.

i forgot that how that work

#7 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:12 AM

But you cannot use the ESPN Watch app because DTV has no agreement with ESPN. I'm really close to dropping DTV because of this and just going with a basic TV package with Verizon FIOS. Me and my wife's TV watching has dwindled quite a bit with everything you can get via the Internet. If I could get the ESPN Watch then I virtually would watch no TV.  

#8 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

Not in the case of Time Warner Cable/Bright House -- their deal is to offer ESPN3 only to their TV customers, so people who have them as an ISP but DirecTV (or Dish) for TV service can't get ESPN3.

trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#9 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,064 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

But you cannot use the ESPN Watch app because DTV has no agreement with ESPN. I'm really close to dropping DTV because of this and just going with a basic TV package with Verizon FIOS. Me and my wife's TV watching has dwindled quite a bit with everything you can get via the Internet. If I could get the ESPN Watch then I virtually would watch no TV.

Blame ESPN and Disney for refusing to negotiate the rights to their Watch apps outside of the renewal of the contracts for their main channels. Unfortunately last time DirecTV and ESPN negotiated their contract Watch ESPN and ESPN3's previous incarnation ESPN 360 didn't exist.

#10 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

Blame ESPN and Disney for refusing to negotiate the rights to their Watch apps outside of the renewal of the contracts for their main channels. Unfortunately last time DirecTV and ESPN negotiated their contract Watch ESPN and ESPN3's previous incarnation ESPN 360 didn't exist.

Exactly, it didn't exist when DirecTV and ESPN signed their last contract, and ESPN won't sign a seperate new contract just to add WatchESPN to an existing contract for the regular channels.

DirecTV seems unwilling to void their existing contract for the regular ESPN channels to sign a new contract that includes them and the Watch ESPN rights (probably because they would have to pay a lot more for the ESPN channels than they have to under the current contract).

So it looks like we going to have to wait until DirecTV's current contract with ESPN runs out and they have to sign a new one (whenever that is?).

Edited by Beerstalker, 08 May 2013 - 09:37 AM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#11 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,770 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

#12 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 721 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

It seems that just about every provider outside of Dish is slowly but surely adding these features. It would be nice for DirecTV to add them as well. These threads will pile up over the coming months. I've already noticed many irate sat subscribers in the App Store.

Remember, always blame the other player and don't aim that fury at poor D*. They hardly made much profit last fiscal year.

Edited by fireponcoal, 08 May 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,064 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

It seems that just about every provider outside of Dish is slowly but surely adding these features. It would be nice for DirecTV to add them as well. These threads will pile up over the coming months. I've already noticed many irate sat subscribers in the App Store.

Each provider made their own contract with Disney/ESPN at a different time so they expire at different times. The recent additions like AT&T, Comcast, Cox and Cablevision only occured in the past year, all of which were announced as part of an overall renewal of their contract:
http://espnmediazone.../tag/watchespn/

Remember, always blame the other player and don't aim that fury at poor D*. They hardly made much profit last fiscal year.

ESPN/Disney confirmed in the past that they are not negotiating the Watch apps as a standalone product, only as part of the renewal of their networks:
http://www.multichan...n’s-new-skipper

Edited by KyL416, 08 May 2013 - 02:55 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

Each provider made their own contract with Disney/ESPN at a different time so they expire at different times. The recent additions like AT&T, Comcast, Cox and Cablevision only occured in the past year, all of which were announced as part of an overall renewal of their contract:
http://espnmediazone.../tag/watchespn/
ESPN/Disney confirmed in the past that they are not negotiating the Watch apps as a standalone product, only as part of the renewal of their networks:
http://www.multichan...n’s-new-skipper

If people don't want to click the second link themselves here is the question and answer (the seventh question):

MCN: You seem to be tying WatchESPN to bigger contract
negotiations? Or are you out there in the marketplace
looking at WatchESPN deals even if your current
contracts aren’t quite due?

JS:
We are in the market talking to all of our partners
about WatchESPN. We have, to date, wanted to do deals
that included WatchESPN in a larger deal. We have not
sold it as a one-off , and that will continue to be what we
want to do.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#15 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

Silly facts. Always get in the way, don't they?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#16 OFFLINE   Tygh

Tygh

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

Anyone hear any new information?

#17 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

I really would like to understand what's preventing Directv from getting the Live Extra. It can't be $$$, as even cheapo Charlie Dish is one of the providers! I like Directv TV offerings quite a bit, but the inability to watch WatchESPN(I understand, it's not Directv's fault) and Live Extra, as well as the very limited availability of programming via Internet outside one's home network is starting to make me consider Comcast. I'm going to wait until August 17, the launch of Fox Sports 1 and the new Fox Sports app. If Comcast gets the Fox Sports app and Directv doesn't have at least Live Extra by then, I'll have to put up with the inferior Comcast DVR but programming via Web is becoming more important to me.

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#18 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

Be nice to have all sporte channels and online viewing but I would hate to see how much my bill would go up.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#19 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

Be nice to have all sporte channels and online viewing but I would hate to see how much my bill would go up.

It will go up regardless

#20 OFFLINE   Tygh

Tygh

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:28 AM

The lack of any real information has me nervous that DTV will not be carrying the channels.  That will force me to leave DTV after 14 years.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...