Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

finishing nail through signal cable?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   borgec

borgec

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

I just got done remodeling my living room. I put down a new floor and molding.  The signal cable is behind the molding as it was previously.  Now i am getting weird signal issues.  The picture pixilates, pauses, sound drops in and out.  I have tried 2 different HDMI cables into different inputs with the same results.  So I think it is the signal cable. 

The only thing I can think happened is I put a finishing nail through the cable.  My question is if I find and remove the nail will that solve the problem or will I need to replace the entire run?  Or any other ideas why I'm having this issue on the receiver?

Chris

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

If you find a finishing nail through your coax and remove it with no further problems, go buy lots of lottery tickets!

Can you tap along the molding with a hammer and see problems? You could get lucky and remove the nail with no further problems but I'd replace the run at some point.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

Tough call. If it is a nail penetrating the coax, removing it should have some effect, as the metal of the nail is gone. The damage it did the the coax "may not" be that bad.

If you have another receiver, you can swap this one with it and check if it's the receiver or location.

A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,813 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

Be on the lookout for a section of smashed cable whether or not you find a nail.  Smashed cable seems more likely to cause intermittent or partial signal situations.

Is there a power inserter nearby?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

Be on the lookout for a section of smashed cable whether or not you find a nail.  Smashed cable seems more likely to cause intermittent or partial signal situations.

Is there a power inserter nearby?

You get points for the first part, as the coax doesn't need to be penetrated to have problems, and just being smashed can be a cause, but then you lose points for the second part as the same results come from a nail between parts of the shield and a smashed shield. There is no "more likely" here.

A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

Looking for a finishing nail related problem could be like looking for a needle in a pile of needles. 

Chances are if the problem surfaced after the living room remodel, it is the signal  line, but a quick way to verify or disconfirm  the cable failure might be to run a duplicate cable from source to destination.  If new cable shows no degradation, proceed with repair or replacement of existing cable.  If however, the problem shows up on both new and old cable, look elsewhere for your problem.

Good luck.

Ut Prosim

Protected By... spam firewall...And...