Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need the straight info on Whole Home Service/HR34

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pogo

pogo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

About three months ago I bought an HR-34/700.  Did self install which is always my preference.  When I called to activate they asked if I wanted them to walk me through the whole home service setup.  I said no since I didn't want the service anyway -- just 6 tuners (wow!).

I went away a happy customer watching whatever and whenever.  Till last week when I received a letter from D* which said they had noticed in an audit that they failed to charge me $3 for the whole home service and that the charge would start with my next bill.  I called and was told that since I have a Genie I'm required to pay for the whole home service.  They gave me another discount ($5 for signing up for autopay which i did in 1997!)

to make me go away happy.  Yesterday I said to myself that if I'm paying for whs I might as well check out what it can do -- I now know that it's nothing without decas for my other two hddvrs.  That's in the mail, but in the mean time I went to my account and noticed there was a button to activate whs for a charge of $3/mo.  clicked it, and it said if you continue you'll be charged $3/mo.  I chose cancel.

Now that I've vented what is the real deal.  If I have a '"genie" am i required to use whole home service or can I choose to not activat and not pay?

As usual everything is clear as mud.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ranik

ranik

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

If you activated the Genie after Dec. 6 2012 AND have another HD/HDDVR then the MRV service is required.

http://www.directv.c...echnology/genie

At the bottom of page shows you need the 25 dollar advanced receiver charge, at least you get a 2 dollar discount for being a customer since 97!

Edited by ranik, 06 May 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   pogo

pogo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

Thanks.  Actually I have a Plus HD DVR grandfathered account which rolls the HDDVR service fees into the base cost.  My activation date was 12/17 it turns out  so it sounds like they hadn't got the billing sorted out for the Genies at that point.

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

Yes, you need to have all advanced receiver services (HD Access, DVR service, Whole-Home service) in order to use Genie. It's DIRECTV policy.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,345 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

There was another user several weeks ago who got the same letter.  He didn't want MRV and IIRC, was willing to cancel his account over this.  He sent an email to Ellen Filipiak's office (ellen.filipiak@directv.com) and got a response that he didn't need to have MRV because it was before a certain (unspecified) date.

It seems you weren't advised of the requirement to subscribe to MRV and DirecTV hasn't been charging you since December and they also didn't provide you the equipment you needed for MRV. So if you really don't want MRV and the additional charge, you might want to send them an email.

Having said that, I think MRV is a perfect compliment to DVRs and the best thing DirecTV has offered us since the DVR.  I think you'll really enjoy it once you get it up and running.

BTW -- what are the model numbers of your two other DVRs?

Edited by trh, 06 May 2013 - 08:01 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...