Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FOX Dispatches COPS to SpikeTV

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

"Cops," the little reality show that helped launch a network and an entire genre -- and sparked some controversy in the process --  is switching networks, from Fox, where it began a quarter of a century ago, to Spike TV, where new shows will air in the fall.  

“ 'Cops' is a remarkable series that has been able to sustain strong ratings well into its third decade, a monumental achievement in television,” said Kevin Kay, Spike TV chief. “We continue to grow and expand our audience with new episodes. [It's] the perfect addition to our prime-time lineup on Saturday nights.”

Created by John Langley, “Cops” premiered March 11, 1989, and has aired more than  900 new episodes -- that's right, 900 nights  -- and helped Fox land some beachfront property on a night and at a time when people actually watch TV: Saturdays.

http://www.newsday.c...ke-tv-1.5208275

Opening salvo in taking FOX off OTA?

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

This article is very slanted and biased, but I can't disagree with this:

Yes, there are many violent crimes broken up by the hardworking police officers shown on COPS, with plenty of gracious victims being helped. But for every breaking up of domestic violence, there are embarrassing displays of arrogance. COPS‘ turning of serious matters into cheap entertainment has often been coupled with the willful neglect of serious issues like police misconduct and civil rights.

Speaking with The American Conservative earlier this year, retired LAPD deputy chief Stephen Downing said of the show: “[T]hey show officers violating the Fourth Amendment routinely, manhandling people, not employing the escalation/de-escalation concepts of the use of force.”

http://www.mediaite....ty-series-cops/

I've seen a lot of examples of things that officers should be fired for, if not arrested and charged.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,747 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

900/48=18 and 3/4 days of continuous cops without a repeat episode. 

Perhaps they ought to create a continuous COPS channels and license it for continuous viewing in the correctional institutions. 

Correction: According to http://epguides.com/Cops/, there are 884 episodes of COPS. Thats still 18.41 days of continuous COPS. 

:sleeping:  I am a day sleeper. I follow a European schedule.
Check out my list of links.

#4 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

Thought they already had a Cops channel, called G4.

Wonder if we can blame Cops for starting this whole cheap to produce reality TV crap, never realized it started in '89.  I can't really think of anything earlier but then again I was 8 when it started and didn't even get all of the now big 4, let alone cable.

#5 ONLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:23 AM

Primetime show for Fox, and probably some of the lowest production costs of any show on a major network.  Staggering how much money they made off that, ad rates are based on viewership, not production costs, afterall.

#6 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,527 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:41 AM

Thought they already had a Cops channel, called G4.

Wonder if we can blame Cops for starting this whole cheap to produce reality TV crap, never realized it started in '89.  I can't really think of anything earlier but then again I was 8 when it started and didn't even get all of the now big 4, let alone cable.

An American Family, from 1973, was really the first reality show in the sense we know it today.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#7 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,995 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

This article is very slanted and biased, but I can't disagree with this:

http://www.mediaite....ty-series-cops/

I've seen a lot of examples of things that officers should be fired for, if not arrested and charged.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#8 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,995 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

I agree.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

spam firewall