Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Criminal Minds Women Want Equal Pay

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,374 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:24 AM

When CBS renewed most of its shows (see CBS Renews 18 for Another Season thread) "Criminal Minds" was not among the shows listed. Many of us wondered why.

According to Deadline Hollywood Thomas Gibson, Joe Mantegna, Shemar Moore, Kirsten Vangsness and A.J. Cook didn't have contracts. Now it appears the men might - that's might - be close to a deal but Vangsness and Cook are negotiating together because they "have decided to take a stand on the treatment of female cast members on the show as the two have consistently been been paid less than half of what all of their male counterparts — not just stars Gibson and Mantegna — are making."

Without "Penelope and J.J." the show would not be as successful as it has been. Remember in 2010 ABC Studios and CBS tried it without A.J. Cook and created an uproar.

Does CBS want to take on the mantle of being opposed to "equal pay" for women? I know ABC Studios is Disney-owned meaning they don't care about pay issues of any kind. But IMHO that could be a real problem for CBS.

vansness__130506231842-275x206.png

Edited by phrelin, 07 May 2013 - 12:26 AM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,779 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

Give them equal pay, they deserve it.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 991 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

I agree, they deserve the same. It's an ensemble cast, not like having a big star as the headliner. Besides, AJ Cook is the best looking woman on tv!  !devil12: 

#4 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

Earlier this year I got suck back into the show after a year or so. Give the girls what they want. If A.J leaves again so will I.

#5 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,153 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

What about the new gal? The older one?

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,708 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

I'll take one of their places if they don't want to come back. I'm sure its a hell of a lot more than I make now. ;)

#7 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:45 AM

A.J. Cook and Kirsten Vangsness make more money in a week than many people make in a year and they're complaining? :nono2:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,779 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:04 AM

A.J. Cook and Kirsten Vangsness make more money in a week than many people make in a year and they're complaining? :nono2:

It's not a matter of the amount, it's the equality they are fighting for.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,779 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:05 AM

What about the new gal? The older one?

She probably came into the show at a higher amount than AJ and Kristen since she is a "bigger name".

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#10 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

She probably came into the show at a higher amount than AJ and Kristen since she is a "bigger name".

If true then that makes Jeanne Tripplehorn "more" equal than A.J. Cook and Kirsten Vangsness. :sure:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,779 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

If true then that makes Jeanne Tripplehorn more equal than A.J. Cook and Kirsten Vangsness. :sure:

Yup, and that's most likely why AJ and Kristen want to be equal as well.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,669 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

It's not a matter of the amount, it's the equality they are fighting for.

Exactly. On Big Bang Theory, I believe Johnny Galeki and Jim Parsons make almost $300k an episode. Would it be fair to Kaley Cuocu to make $100-150k? Sure, it's still a ton of money but isn't right to have that kind of disparity. Being an actor carries a lot of risk. You go through many lean years, and you never know when you'll make it big, if ever. Then, if you become too big, you get typecast and can't break out of that character. You take the money when you can get it. Besides, the studio makes a bunch of money of syndication and other benefits. The actors are part of the success.

#13 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,374 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:51 PM

According to Nellie Andreeva at Deadline Hollywood Vangsness and Cook received sizable pay increases but with regard to parity with the men "didn’t quite get there." The show has been renewed.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#14 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,361 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:28 AM

In this particular show I can not see that any one person is the leader and should be paid more than the others.
I think they are a team and should be paid as equals.
  • RunnerFL likes this

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

spam firewall