Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR21/100 0x6bd super slow

Best Answer tas3986 , 23 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

PROBLEM WAS RESOLVED !!!!! :sure:

OK here is the answer ...  They sent out a Tech to check the system.  "everything was fine"  Great signal strength. All connections correct, but changed them all around just to test.   Replaced the filters.    But responsiveness was still terrible.   Replaced the receiver ...new receiver .... same slow responsiveness.   Replaced the antenna LNB as a last resort, and everything started working fine, and has remained that way for over a month..  Installer could not believe it, but said "stranger things have happened".

So something in the LNB was causing the receiver to spin it's wheels.   Too bad they do not have a CPU utilization monitor built in.  It might have shown that problem a lot sooner.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tas3986

tas3986

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

My system is super slow.  I have talked with support many times.  Here is what they have told me to do, and here also is a strange thing that I have discovered.

1st.  I was told that having 64% of my disk as free space is a very bad thing.  I was told to keep my used space at under 20% (free space > 80%) , in order to get my system to be responsive. "Like all computers, they start running slow, as the disk starts to fill up".  So I deleted a lot of irreplacable football games, and the bottom line is no improvement in performance.

2nd.  I was told that having 84(current) items in the TODO list is very bad, and responsible for system slowness.  I was told that anything over 50 should not be allowed.  While it took about a minute to delete each TODO item, after a few hours,  I got the number down to 35.  Guess what?  No performance improvement there either.

========================================================================

What I did discover, and nobody seems to care, is that my TODO list grows and shrinks constantly.  Sometimes I have over 100 items in TODO, without doing anything, the next day it will be down to 35.  Right now I have 84 items in the TODO list. Series Manager shows:  -16 Dr. Who   -31 Say Yes To The Dress and -13  19 Kids and Counting. and a few other onsey-twosey items.

Strangely the items with the big numbers are all TTITLE specified items. They were created by creating a keyword search, and selecting AUTORECORD.  All are all set to record FIRST RUN ITEMS ONLY.   Of the 60 current  items in this small 3 title group, only a very few are actual first run items.  All of the others have dates of 2010, 2011, 2012.  The counts change hour by hour, but only for the TTITLE items.  My AALL items rarely change as well as the items that just display the show title.

I believe that my system is spinning its wheels playing with all of these TTITLE items.  I've told this to support, and they just brush it off, and want me to do a complete restore of my system.

=================================================================

Anybody else experiencing anything similar to this of have any constructive criticism?

In the time it took to create this item, my TODO list has now grown form 84 to 89.  This AM it was35 !!

Amd now 2 hours later the TODO is down to 30 !!

Edited by tas3986, 07 May 2013 - 09:31 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,116 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

Well after telling you that your DVR is crappy, I hope they also gave you a huge credit.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

While some of those suggestions may help speed up a DVR that was acting fast and now is acting slow (without a firmware change) - your problems are likely all firmware related.  If you join us in the 0x6bd issues thread you will see many people are having problems with slowness - or in some cases the DVR will become completely non-responsive for some amount of time.

You could try getting DTV to replace your DVR, and if you get an HR24 instead of an HR21/22/23 it will probably help speed things up some - but even the HR24s are having slowness issues since 0x66c and now with 0x6bd.

The solution is solely on DTV to get their firmware fixed.

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

#4 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,904 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

The solution is solely on DTV to get their firmware fixed.

I always tend to disagree with that statement.

• northcounty likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   tas3986

tas3986

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

Well, now 2 hours after my last post, the TODO list size is down to 30.  Is this normal to grow and shrink by a 50 item swing in a matter of a few hours?    This thing is spinning it wheels adding and deleting TODO items.   .... and nobody cares.

And Ducifer .... no mention of credit.

Edited by tas3986, 07 May 2013 - 09:37 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:10 AM

Well, now 2 hours after my last post, the TODO list size is down to 30.  Is this normal to grow and shrink by a 50 item swing in a matter of a few hours?    This thing is spinning it wheels adding and deleting TODO items.   .... and nobody cares.

And Ducifer .... no mention of credit.

I currently have 183 items on my to-do list - I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Bottom line is that DirecTV screwed it up and they'll have to fix it.  It may be a while but I suspect they'll fix it at least for a while...  They will then 'update' the firmware again and the cycle will repeat.

Having a CSR basically tell you that you can't actually use your DVR is classic.  Maybe you should just not turn it on and then you won't notice how painfully slow it is?  Pretty pathetic - DirecTV should be so proud! 

#7 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:15 AM

I always tend to disagree with that statement.

Why?  DirecTV has had 'update' after 'update' after 'update' over last few months and there has been a surge in 'speed' complaints.  You think there is something else going on?  What could it be other than one firmware debacle after another?  

Sadly this cycle seems to be the norm for DirecTV engineering.

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

Restart your dvr via the menu, and run the HDD diagnostics.  I would bet it may not pass the HDD diagnostics.  I have a couple of HR22's, and the todo lists shrinks and grows constantly, that appears to be normal.  Almost everything they had you check and/or do was a complete and utter waste of time.  SOme of the best things you can do is restart your receiver weekly, I do it Friday or Saturday night right before I go to bed, make sure you have scrolling effects turned off to help menu/guide performance.

#9 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,701 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

I agree with CCarncross.

Also, try clearing the NVRAM. This seems to help my HR23. I also have only the 720p and 1080i options checked in the resolutions section.

I have the HR23 and HR24 and there is a very noticeable difference in the speed between the 2 model numbers. HR24 is much faster.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#10 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

Of course it is completely possible that the drive is failing etc and worth a test...  But because so many others are having 'slow-downs' I suspect odds are that a firmware update will end up being the fix.

#11 OFFLINE   tas3986

tas3986

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

Restarting the receiver, by pushing the red button, clicking on menu restart, or, as support suggests, unplugging the receiver for 2 minutes, does make things better, but only for about an hour or so.  Clearing NVRAM  by red-red-blue-blue-yellow-green helps a bit as well, when and if it takes the keystrokes ...... but again, only for a short time.

Last night TODO at 35 , this morning back to 79.  But if you have 183, then that is probably not the poroblem either.

I'm glad to hear that others are having a similar problem,  Support said that I was the only one having slowness.  I just wish they would be truthful.

Thanks for everyones help

Edited by tas3986, 08 May 2013 - 10:19 AM.

#12 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:16 PM

Why?  DirecTV has had 'update' after 'update' after 'update' over last few months and there has been a surge in 'speed' complaints.  You think there is something else going on?  What could it be other than one firmware debacle after another?  

Sadly this cycle seems to be the norm for DirecTV engineering.

because not only my HR24 works fine but does many others I see everyday

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

because not only my HR24 works fine but does many others I see everyday

I don't doubt that the bulk of receivers live up to the particular users expectations but that doesn't explain why the sudden rash of complaints and why there have been so many updates in such a short period of time.  It seems that before a particular update makes it all the way across the country a 'new' update starts rolling out.

#14 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

So then why according to "some" the firmware "breaks" some receivers but not others, if the bulk of these DVRs are working as expected?

This is why I don't think the firmware "excuse" is valid.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

So then why according to "some" the firmware "breaks" some receivers but not others, if the bulk of these DVRs are working as expected?

:shrug: Who knows?  Maybe there are some receivers that have different hardware revisions?  Maybe it is the number of devices on the same network?  Maybe it is only causing grief if someone has a particular hardware version of SWM16 etc?  Not all installs are identical.

Why do suppose there are some many updates to updates?  I didn't keep track of them but it seems that some were only sent out for days or weeks before being replaced.

#16 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:04 PM

Restarting the receiver, by pushing the red button, clicking on menu restart, or, as support suggests, unplugging the receiver for 2 minutes, does make things better, but only for about an hour or so. Clearing NVRAM by red-red-blue-blue-yellow-green helps a bit as well, when and if it takes the keystrokes ...... but again, only for a short time.

Last night TODO at 35 , this morning back to 79. But if you have 183, then that is probably not the poroblem either.

I'm glad to hear that others are having a similar problem, Support said that I was the only one having slowness. I just wish they would be truthful.

Thanks for everyones help

Sorry I'm probably being dumb but when you say TODO list, do you mean the list of upcoming recordings? When you look at the list of items, are they recordings that you actually have set to happen?

#17 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

Then if we "forget" about the firmware as the cause, and folks who do have issues post who is the ISP what city, and state they are in, perhaps we can see if there is a pattern 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

Then if we "forget" about the firmware as the cause, and folks who do have issues post who is the ISP what city, and state they are in, perhaps we can see if there is a pattern 

Not sure why we would 'forget' about the firmware...  Especially because the troubles seem to have started with the rash of updates that you seem unwilling to comment on. :P

I guess if/when the an update corrects the trouble we'll know for sure!

#19 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Because not only did the DVR issues appear on the same day as the firmware update but my actual network was impacted by one of the firmware updates, and those issues resolved by another firmware update - with direct correlation of the firmware update dates to the impact on my network. The fact that I replaced the DVR and the issues returned the next day when I got the firmware update overnight.

As the scientists (or more likely some undergrad whose taken his first 200 level statistics course) say correlation is not causation, they say this because you need a large enough data set to be certain. I'll grant you that what we are working with is technically a hypothesis by those standards - but  given the rash of updates & the increased chatter on these issues on this and other forums it's certainly not unreasonable to conclude that this issue is firmware related even using the critical eye of the scientific method as our backdrop.  Even the the CSR I talked to admitted that this is a known issue - So either he was lying and gave me a credit to go away or it's in fact a known issue. 

That might not be enough for some to believe the firmware issues are valid, but it's enough for me. I can appreciate that some have a differing viewpoint since their stuff is working, I'm just not sure I understand the continued suggestions that the many of us posting about these issues must somehow be doing something wrong - especially when many of us have gone to extensive lengths, including following all the typical troubleshooting steps,  to isolate the problem and are merely attempting to find a solution. 

#20 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

Tempe arizona on Cox - no internet issues. Had a period of time during which connection speeds were appreciably impacted, but if I removed the bad DVR from the mix my connection speeds were back to normal. This is why I'm leaning towards this being a network stack issue in these recent updates. I'm going to mess around with removing DECA from the mix and going straight ethernet and see if that does anything to help.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...