Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR21/100 0x6bd super slow

Best Answer tas3986 , 23 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

PROBLEM WAS RESOLVED !!!!! :sure:

OK here is the answer ...  They sent out a Tech to check the system.  "everything was fine"  Great signal strength. All connections correct, but changed them all around just to test.   Replaced the filters.    But responsiveness was still terrible.   Replaced the receiver ...new receiver .... same slow responsiveness.   Replaced the antenna LNB as a last resort, and everything started working fine, and has remained that way for over a month..  Installer could not believe it, but said "stranger things have happened".

So something in the LNB was causing the receiver to spin it's wheels.   Too bad they do not have a CPU utilization monitor built in.  It might have shown that problem a lot sooner.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

as long as you guys are fixated that this is a firmware issue, you wont find a fix.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:19 PM

as long as you guys are fixated that this is a firmware issue, you wont find a fix.

Hmmm...  Nice dodge (again) of the 'Why so many firmware updates to the updates' question.  I gotta admit you're sticking to your guns!

We'll have to agree to disagree for a few  more firmware updates to see if these problems magically fix themselves as the firmware changes...  Just has it has in the past... 

#23 OFFLINE   tas3986

tas3986

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:59 AM

I think firmware, or a bad software download could be the cause. I also agree that it just could be my particular configuration as well. I have a nomad connected, an AR21 (or whatever Off-Air adapter that DirecTV has), is network connected to a slow DSL service, do not use any SWM, etc. It could be any of these, or a combination of interactions. No real diagnostic information is being collected and quantified. I also know that something as simple as a 25 cent blown capacitor can cause havoc in computer systems, and they are one of the most prone to failure computer components.

Computer systems normally have logs that give good hints as to the problems that are being caused. I'd bet that these boxes have logs somewhere. Programmers and developers always put them in the code. I'd also be that support has no idea that they exist, nor would even understand anything that they said.

#24 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

I don't bother posting about it, I'd say I am just acclimatized to it, but my D* has variable response speeds to the remotes.  I see slow, really slow, and 'normal' channel changing speeds, I see slow, and sometimes really slow response to various menu commands, I also have an HR21 set for RF that barely can pickup up a command from 10 feet away, and a HR20 that picks up RF from 50 feet easy all the time.

If I posted every time one of the 3 HDDVRs I use the most when they seem to be a bit different somehow from the day before, that would be pretty much all I would post about here.  I look at 'speed' threads here, it would be great if on this problem D* could pull their head out of their butt, but I'm not holding my breath. I don't know if this reflects poorly on me, but I'm used to erratic remote controls.  I can tell right away if my regular cadence of pressing buttons is going to PO the box, and I adjust accordingly.

It's 2013, we don't have flying cars or food-a-rack-a-cycles, but we have a daily crap shoot on just how frustratingly slow our satellite TV remotes work, ain't it great?

:bang

#25 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

gov - I feel your frustration...  My 'ranting' continues below if you're bored... !devil12:

Sadly I don't see things changing.  It would seem that DirecTV engineering is holding fast to the 'it's good enough' idea.  They may be right - if the masses don't mind the poor response of their receivers why would DirecTV spend even a dime correcting it?  Their receivers have had remote response/speed/firmware off and on since they released the HR20 way back when.

For people that have had Dish Network receivers the speed difference between even the oldest HD DVR from Dish Network and DirecTV HD DVRs is really in your face - every time you pick up the remote.

To make things even more confusing supposedly DirecTV spends more money on their receivers than Dish Network.  At least according to some posters here.  You can actually own an HD DVR from Dish Network that runs rings around DirecTV dvrs and only pay a little more or even the same as what DirecTV 'leases' their receiver for. 

Unless management decides to make a change in the engineering department I think we can expect more of the same.  I know there are people here on dbstalk that know the ins and outs of DirecTV engineering and why they do what they do.  It would be cool to know what the reasoning is.  Can it really cost DirecTV that much more to improve their response of their DVRs and thoroughly test the firmware before the unleash it on their customers?  

The funny thing is there is a new gas station not too far from me that has fancy new gas pumps.  I told my wife the gas pumps were brought to us by DirecTV.  Big touch screens that will print coupons etc as you fill up.  The mechanical pumps are pretty quick to get the gas into the car but I swear DirecTV engineering is writing the software for them!  It takes for freakin' ever finally get the gas pumping.  The delays from when you push something on touch screen to when it responds reminds of using my remote.  It can easily take a full minute to push the 6 or 7 buttons needed to get the gas flowing.

I know it's stupid - most people would say 'big deal' it takes 60 damn seconds to start filling your tank.  But...  Now when I need gas I drive one block further to get it because their pumps actually work.  I guess it just goes to show latest/greatest high tech doesn't necessarily mean 'better'.

Ranting over for now....

#26 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

Actually - we found one. DECA appears to be the culprit. At least for two of us that have disabled DECA on machines exhibiting this behavior and wired them via Ethernet to our networks everything has returned to normal so far. Tidbits in the issues thread stickied at the top:

http://http://www.db...-6#entry3134797

Given that I've documented the impact of the firmware updates on my network performance multiple times over the last few weeks, I feel pretty confident in saying there in fact IS an issue that is tied to the firmware updates. As I stated in many previous posts on this point I found direct correlation between the firmware updates and actual impact on my network, leading me to conclude that the issue was related to some part of the network stack in the firmware updates. It's starting to look like that might be correct... Something with these releases is causing issue with DECA on some systems, mine included. Based on the performance issues I saw, particularly when it was actually impacting non DVR devices to the point where they were having slow downloads on my otherwise consistently performing network, I would guess that the machine is spewing a whole bunch of garbage packets or something else to that effect causing a whole boat load of collisions or something similar.

EDIT: I'd also be VERY interested in hearing whether other folks experiencing these issues can directly connect to an ethernet switch and do a reset to see if they get improvements (check your settings after a reboot to make sure it's using ethernet instead of DECA)

Edited by dravenstone, 10 May 2013 - 11:37 AM.

#27 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

Actually - we found one. DECA appears to be the culprit. At least for two of us that have disabled DECA on machines exhibiting this behavior and wired them via Ethernet to our networks everything has returned to normal so far. Tidbits in the issues thread stickied at the top:

http://http://www.db...-6#entry3134797

Given that I've documented the impact of the firmware updates on my network performance multiple times over the last few weeks, I feel pretty confident in saying there in fact IS an issue that is tied to the firmware updates. As I stated in many previous posts on this point I found direct correlation between the firmware updates and actual impact on my network, leading me to conclude that the issue was related to some part of the network stack in the firmware updates. It's starting to look like that might be correct... Something with these releases is causing issue with DECA on some systems, mine included. Based on the performance issues I saw, particularly when it was actually impacting non DVR devices to the point where they were having slow downloads on my otherwise consistently performing network, I would guess that the machine is spewing a whole bunch of garbage packets or something else to that effect causing a whole boat load of collisions or something similar.

EDIT: I'd also be VERY interested in hearing whether other folks experiencing these issues can directly connect to an ethernet switch and do a reset to see if they get improvements (check your settings after a reboot to make sure it's using ethernet instead of DECA)

I still haven't had time to play with my setup other than just disabling DECA on the one I use the most.  That did speed things up quite a bit for the little time I left it that way.  I had to put it back so MRV would work - family was getting annoyed!

I'll move all three of my HR24s off of DECA and back to Ethernet and see what happens.

Fingers-crossed!

#28 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

It's better with the bad machine off of DECA, but not the 100% fix it appeared to be for the first ~24 hours. I'm not able to do much more troubleshooting today. At least now the box is useable, but it's started to show some signs of delays again. The good news is that it continues to at least register all remote commands instead of being in full scale lock up for minutes at a time, so a big improvement. In other news, I have a new found appreciation for netflix. Not ready to join the cord cutter ranks, but netflix at 8 bucks a month and amazon prime, plus my local media library gets me really really close. I think if it wasn't for ST and some of the HBO shows and and my concern about MLBtv on roku or boxee, I might be dangerously close to making the switch. My D* bill would cover a year of MLBtv, a new roku3, a year of netflix, and a year of prime in just 2 months. Of course It would have to be three months if i put a roku in each room that currently has a DVR (they all have boxee's already but boxee doesn't have amazon - that might not matter too much though). 

Still waiting for that next update - hopefully the engineers can get to the bottom of this.

Despite this little set back and given the change in performance and symptoms I still think it's a firmware issue related to the network stack, one that is way worse on DECA than ethernet - more testing and/or a new release are of course required to confirm.

#29 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:57 AM

Older models are slower period particularly the HR21-22, HR24 also is slow to some people (not me) but I bet is because the drive or EHD is almost full, Or it could be model specific with lots of scheduled recording and SL's, Think how slow a DVR can be with 2tb full of recordings and SL's, Maybe also some forget to turn native off or have complicated setups with AV receivers that does a lot of hdmi handshakes between inputs and channel changes.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#30 OFFLINE   tas3986

tas3986

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

Wow, it was pretty good there for a while after the latest software upgrade (0x6bd).  My system worked just like it used too, for about 2 weeks.  Now it is going back to taking 2-5 minutes just to change channels.  The red-red-blue-blue ...trick doesn't even work anymore !

#31 OFFLINE   tas3986

tas3986

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

Well I called in and complained once again, and this time, rather than deleting everything again, they are sending me a new unit .... thus deleting everything once again ....   But at least the problem will hopefully be fixed. I will let you know.

#32 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

My HR20(RF) is like watching paint dry to perform any function on the Remote Control

It's not practical based on the installation to switch it to IR, although it did seem more responsive in  IR mode when I was switching to a new remote to eliminate that as a possible cause.   [A new remote has to be set up in IR mode before it can be switched over to RFthere is no line of site to the Box for an IR configuration, I am not buying a repeater to get functionality]

No Noticeable deterioration on the HR21(IR)  or HR23(RF)

Dish Slimline-5 WB68 MRV Enabled (Non Supported) Cat 5
HR20-100 - HR21/100 - HR23-700 - Not Networked DSR708 SD

#33 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

My HR20 flies on RF.....what I just found recently on one of my otherDVR's is it was getting sluggish, turns out the HDD was failing and it wasnt giving any indication even on reboot.  Replaced the HDD, boom, running like a champ again. 

#34 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

My HR20 flies on RF.....what I just found recently on one of my otherDVR's is it was getting sluggish, turns out the HDD was failing and it wasnt giving any indication even on reboot.  Replaced the HDD, boom, running like a champ again. 

Ran the diagnostics including full surface scan no errors, I did notice it I showing almost 20,000 hours powered on.

How did you determine it was failing,?,

Did you replace with an External ?

Dish Slimline-5 WB68 MRV Enabled (Non Supported) Cat 5
HR20-100 - HR21/100 - HR23-700 - Not Networked DSR708 SD

#35 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

Ran the diagnostics including full surface scan no errors, I did notice it I showing almost 20,000 hours powered on.

How did you determine it was failing,?,

Did you replace with an External ?

It already was an external....so I just replaced the external with another external, after I tried to copy the entire drive to the new drive.  I suspected it was having issues due to its terrible perfomance during disk based activities (deleting shows, bringing up the playlist, etc...)  I determined it had issues during the copy routine, I kept getting restore errors during the dump restore routine.  It reads a section during the dump, but it occasionally wasnt writing anything saying failed to write segments xxxxxx meaning where it thought it was reading a segment, it failed to read it and nothing to write to the target disk.  I'm still working to recover the bad sections of the old drive.  All the old recordings play, but there are micro-stutters or slight audio/video dropouts occurring due to the missing segments, split seconds but it does cause an irritating glitch in the audio and video every few minutes when the dvr tries to error-correct over one fo the missing file fragments.  Interestingly enough, the old source drive doesnt seem to exhibit those same issues leading me to believe that the file location mapping index file on the original drive is somehow messed up and the dump/restore routines cant correctly copy all the pieces of every show because its most likely looking in the wrong place on the drive.  New content recorded on the new drive plays back flawlessly and the new drive was tested so I know the new drive is fine.  BTW, the dvr has returned to full speediness with the new drive.  !st time I've encountered any errors in the drive copying process.  I guess I was always lucky that I was replacing the HDD before it showed any signs of issue.  I'm currently running an extended smart scan on the drive that will take about 4.5 hours.

Edited by CCarncross, 30 May 2013 - 07:19 PM.

#36 OFFLINE   tas3986

tas3986

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:22 PM   Best Answer

OK here is the answer ...  They sent out a Tech to check the system.  "everything was fine"  Great signal strength. All connections correct, but changed them all around just to test.   Replaced the filters.    But responsiveness was still terrible.   Replaced the receiver ...new receiver .... same slow responsiveness.   Replaced the antenna LNB as a last resort, and everything started working fine, and has remained that way for over a month..  Installer could not believe it, but said "stranger things have happened".

So something in the LNB was causing the receiver to spin it's wheels.   Too bad they do not have a CPU utilization monitor built in.  It might have shown that problem a lot sooner.

#37 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

That's a good one!  Maybe I'll replace my LNB just to see!.  Glad to hear that not every problem with slow response is because of the poor code.

#38 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

Interesting, but what model LNB was replaced?

Legacy or SWM model.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#39 OFFLINE   tas3986

tas3986

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

Interesting, but what model LNB was replaced?

Legacy or SWM model.

It was the legacy slimline-5

Protected By... spam firewall...And...