Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

H24/Sharp TV weird audio problem during FF/REW

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

New one on me today.

Had a lady tell me her SWiM/Whole home DVR'd H24 in the master bedroom,  connected to a slightly older Sharp 32 inch panel, is making annoying sounds when she fast forwards or rewinds a recording.

Stopped by, and she's right, kind of a grinding clicking sound, and only during FF and Rew.  She thinks problem is same in both, to me it is worse on FF. 

TV had few audio options, bass, treble, and an ersatz surround mode.  No difference regardless of setting.

On the H24, I tried Dolby on and off, didn't make any difference (didn't expect it to) and I reset the box.  Still does it.

The TV has analog jacks for audio paired with the (only) HDMI input jack, and I did put a patch cord on them, but I suspect the TV defaults to HDMI even if analog is present.

If I had had a DVI adapter, I'm thinking that would have fixed it, along with the analog audio input.  I'll dig one out and go back in a few days and try that.

Anyone encounter this?  And have I missed something easier than sticking an HDMI to DVI and a DVI to HDMI pair of adapters on it?

And really, shouldn't the audio data stream on the H24 HDMI be 'all zeros' when the box is FFing or REWing?

If someone thinks she has a defective H24 I can call D*, if it's the TV (hope not) I'll go with the adapters and pray problem goes away.

thanx for looking and appreciate the help

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

Can you use component and/or composite cables and see if issue persists?

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#3 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

Is their any other devices connected to the TV that can help you try to see where the problem lies. Like a DVD/Blu Ray Player maybe? This is odd

#4 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:51 PM

TV is wall mounted in a bedroom.  I've got the H24 nylon wire tied to the back of the set.  They have a blu-ray handy, I can connect it and see if the HDMI jack is hinky. A TV problem will not go over with the customer very well. The H24 was recently connected to a newer Sony panel and worked fine.

Appreciate the component hookup suggestion.  The TV is a little visible from the side  as you enter the room, The customer (and myself) would prefer not having too much paraphernalia behind the TV, like HDMI to DVI adapters.  I have a DirecTV component 10 pin that I bet is way easier to find (and tuck behind the set) than me digging up some adapters.

Weird problem for sure.  It reminded me a little of the 'old days' with a VCR connected to a TV with poor audio/video separation in the RF section, and the VCR is FFing or REWing, and you can hear a whine through the speakers.

I saw a Samsung plasma panel about a year ago that would show a little pinkish discoloration in the upper left of the screen that would appear with specific sounds coming through, another weird problem.  That one was the TV, connecting a D*, a Blu-ray, or using the on board tuner all made the pink turn up.

I don't know how that one turned out, I just installed it and the customer wanted to deal with Sammy about the picture issue.

#5 ONLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

I haven't seen a post about this issue for a long time. It was a known problem with some Sharp TVs and HDMI. The video signal creates interference with the audio in the HDMI board inside the TV. It was thought to be some sort of grounding issue.

Not aware of any real solution other than not using HDMI. Using component video connections plus optical audio, or even red/white analog audio, eliminates the problem. People also noticed that sending the HDMI signal to an A/V receiver, and setting the A/V receiver so that  no audio was passed to the TV (i.e. using the surround sound speakers attached to the A/V receiver) there was no problem either.

#6 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

Appreciate that.  I've been on DBS for only a few months.  I will put a 10 pin on the box and that should take care of it.  This TV was previously connected to an SDDVR via composite, and so the H24 is the first time HDMI has been used on it.

#7 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:41 AM

The H24 uses regular component video cables, not the special 10 pin cable that the H25 and C31/C41 use.  Hopefully you haven't already drove out to your customers with the wrong cables.

Edited by Beerstalker, 09 May 2013 - 08:42 AM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

spam firewall