Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help: How to connect DECA to SWM16 for internet connection

add internet DECA

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Marzen

Marzen

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

HI,

We had a tech come out and install an HR44 Genie.  He disconnected the CAT6 cables that ran to our pair of HR22/100 DVR's as he used the new DECA single wire adapters with integrated RJ45 connector.  The problem is he didn't add another DECA between the SWM16 and the router for internet traffic. I want WAN access as well for PPV, YouTube, etc. 

1)  What port on the SWM16 do I use for attaching this third DECA? 

2)  Also, because there is a power supply required for a stand alone DECA module, can it be connected directly to the SWM or should it be on the other side of a splitter?

3)  Once I add internet access to DirecTV's Ethernet over coax network can I still use the Ethernet pass thru ports (ETH2) on the older DVR's?.  These were really handy for hardwiring game consoles vs wireless.

I called a CSR tonight to ask if the 3rd  DECA should have been installed and they replied no.  I did find them on Amazon for $10.

Thanks

Genie HR44 (no C31 clients yet)

(2) HR22/100 HDDVR

SWM16 switch

(2) Decabb1mr0-01 Deca Adapter Internet Broadband

4 PORT Router with CAT6 home run pattern to each TV location.

No landline phone

Edited by Marzen, 07 May 2013 - 09:27 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   cwtech

cwtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

on your remote on the new genie press the dash button to see if it says internet connected. If so all you should have to do is goto your other receivers and repeat network setup, ( you might have to restore defaults and then reset the receivers ) The hr 44 has a built in wifi deca, so the tech could have used this option or he could have installed a external hard wired deca, either way unless the tech repeated the network setting on your other receivers it wont detect it bc the reciever is still looking for the hard wire.

#3 OFFLINE   cwtech

cwtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

also want to add, i see you have 2 hr 22, did the tech put on receiver decas on these receivers.  it should look something like this http://www.solidsign...eca2--(dca2sr0)

connected from the coax in swm port on receiver and a small ethernet cable connected from the ethernet port on the receiver to the receiver deca. with out these, your 2 hr22 wont connect to the internet through the bbdeca/wifi deca, and also wont do mrv. 

EDIT: i just reread your post and seen that he did install these, press dash on all receivers and see if it says internet connected, if not follow instructions in post above,

Edited by cwtech, 07 May 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Marzen

Marzen

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

The hr 44 has a built in wifi deca, so the tech could have used this option or he could have installed a external hard wired deca

Hi, can't use Wi-Fi for this network and no new hard wired connections to my router.   Just want to know how to add a DECA to connect router to SWM.  Not interested in any other solutions.

Regards,

Marz

#5 OFFLINE   Marzen

Marzen

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

also want to add, i see you have 2 hr 22, did the tech put on receiver decas on these receivers.  it should look something like this http://www.solidsign...eca2--(dca2sr0)

connected from the coax in swm port on receiver and a small ethernet cable connected from the ethernet port on the receiver to the receiver deca. with out these, your 2 hr22 wont connect to the internet through the bbdeca/wifi deca, and also wont do mrv. 

EDIT: i just reread your post and seen that he did install these, press dash on all receivers and see if it says internet connected, if not follow instructions in post above,

Hi, I have disconnected the DECA Ethernet cables and I'm back to using the CAT6 hardwires from the router for now.  Internet access takes priority over MRV.  I hope to have MRV and wired internet connection over coax when finished.

#6 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

Hi, I have disconnected the DECA Ethernet cables and I'm back to using the CAT6 hardwires from the router for now.  Internet access takes priority over MRV.  I hope to have MRV and wired internet connection over coax when finished.

If you could run one hardwire to your Genie, it will be the internet access for everything.

The problem with "Not interested in any other solutions", is you don't grasp how things work. There is no internet to SWiM, ZERO.

There's internet over coax aka DECA.

A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   Marzen

Marzen

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

thanks veryoldschool.  that was exactly what I was looking for.  sorry about my poor choice of wording.  was frustrated after getting nothing but wifi related answers from phone support. I keep getting told to just order the CCK wireless.  again - much appreciated

#8 OFFLINE   cwtech

cwtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

If you could run one hardwire to your Genie, it will be the internet access for everything.

The problem with "Not interested in any other solutions", is you don't grasp how things work. There is no internet to SWiM, ZERO.

There's internet over coax aka DECA.

exactly VOS, if would have followed direction and have answered from my first post would have told us whether  the internet was connected (wifi or hardwired to genie) and if it wasnt would have brought us to our next answer of asking if there was a hardwired ethernet available at the genie. Regardless either way unless the tech did it he is going to have to repeat network setup......

Protected By... spam firewall...And...